CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: December 5th Event: Who Wants To Catch A Game?  (Read 14936 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
December 5th Event: Who Wants To Catch A Game?
« on: November 30, 2015, 01:40:23 PM »

As the first years of the 3060s passed, Acamar - like other Chaos March worlds - faced an uncertain future.  The military campaigns of the previous two years had left the planet without a strong central authority, forcing those who had survived the upheavals and battles together to defend their planet from the pirate bands which had taken over.  All too soon, the disparate political leanings of those freedoms fighters - many of whom soon became members of the provisional government - began to tear the planet apart, even in the face of continuing suspected Liaoist gains in both the militia and the bandit forces.

Finally, the provisional government consolidated power sufficiently to compile a militia and mercenary task force to deal with the pirate raids.  Several mercenary units were dispatched off-planet in pursuit of fleeing brigands, while militia forces moved to quash pirates still in hiding on Acamar.  Things did not go as planned, and the Capellan influence on the events on Acamar was confirmed.  As soon as the mercenary forces had passed the mid-system asteroid belt and committed to reaching their JumpShips, Barbara Katz of the Provisional Government and Colonel Soloch Ben-Zhayne of the planetary militia, executed a coup in the name of the Capellan Confederation, imprisoning or killing nearly all of the Parliament's membership.  The militia units onplanet followed the Colonel and either killed or imprisoned their officers who dared disagree.

Unbeknownst to the traitors on Acamar, the DropShip of Colonel Sarah Fletcher (daughter of Parliamentary member Emmet Fletcher) and her provisional 3rd Battalion of the First Acamar Cavalry had developed an engine fault just past Acamar's moon and, following some jury-rigged repairs, had to turn back to the planet.  Her untested forces represented the only military elements in place to fight back against the treachery taking place on Acamar.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: December 5th Event: Who Wants To Catch A Game?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »

SITUATION
Kaiskag, Acamar, Chaos March
5 March, 3062

Colonel Sarah Fletcher and her provisional First Acamar Cavalry hold a unique position in being able to strike back against the Liaoist coup on Acamar before it truly digs in.  In the face of having to combat their comrades-in-arms, many of the militia units spread across Acamar have defected away from Colonel Ben-Zhaye, and instead of pledging allegiance to Fletcher have instead declared their neutrality in the upcoming conflict and pledged to maintain order in outlying towns and cities against the brigand forces still lurking out in the sticks.

Meanwhile, signs have become clear that Colonel Ben-Zhaye and President Pro-term Katz are preparing for an extended siege in the capital city of Kaiskag.  Once the First Cavalry DropShip cleared the moon shadow, it became immediately apparent that pro-Liao elements were being rushed back into the capital in unknown strength.  Hoping to avoid an all-out invasion of the city, which would undoubtedly leave it in ruins, Fletcher concocted a risky plan which would leave the city mostly intact.  A pirate broadcast revealed that both the Colonel and President would be at Kaiskag Coliseum, where the new regime had herded several hundred political prisoners, to oversee a series of judicial executions.  Every First Cavalry Mech equipped with jump jets (not expecting combat drops, jump packs had not been loaded on board) would drop into the Coliseum parking lot, overwhelm the "Presidential Guard", break into the Coliseum, free the prisoners, and kill or capture the usurpers.  Quick action would be critical, since the onplanet defenders would be rushing to contain the combat drop, and would certainly overwhelm the isolated Cavalry Mechs if the fight went too long.

Map Setup
[][].....Lake Area, City Hills/Residential #1
[][].....Custom Coliseum Map 1 & 2
[][].....City Hills/Residential #2, Lake Area

Attacking Forces
Consists of Elements of the Provisional First Acamar Cavalry.  These forces will perform a standard Combat Drop on the two City Hills maps.  A minimum of  33% of the total force must be assigned to either City Hills map.  Drop Hexes are selected before the Defending Forces deploy, and are considered SECRET information.
TO&E: TBD, `bout 2 companies of Level 2 designs

Defending Forces
Consists of the Presidential Guard and elements of the Acamar Militia (2 Batt and 3 Batts, Echo and Juliet companies)
The Presidential Guard deploys with 1 lance on each Lake Area map, and 1 lance inside the Coliseum.
The Militia deploys with at least 50% of its force inside the Coliseum, and must deploy no more than 2 lances onto the maps to the north, and no more than 2 lances onto the maps to the south of the Coliseum.
Both defending forces deploy on the battlefield after Drop Hexes are selected.
TO&E: TBD; Presidential Guard is a short company of Level 2 designs, and the militia is mostly crappy 3050-era refits

The Coliseum
The Coliseum is a domed structure consisting of an oblong ring of concrete hexes, 6 levels tall, which may not be jumped over (60 CF each).  If destroyed, each adjoining concrete hex (ring or stands) will collapse on a 4-6 on a d6.  There are four gates in the structure, each bordered by 8-level tall, CF 75, towers, which may provoke collapse in an identical manner as the ring.  Each gate is a CF 50 structure, 5 levels tall (which may be jumped over).  If destroyed, the gate had no effect on adjoining hexes. There are several banks of 4-level tall hexes inside the structure, the "stands", each of which is a CF 50 structure  The terrain upon the arena floor is as represented.

Ice
The battle takes place at the height of Acamar's summer.  Therefore, while ice covers all Water hexes on the board, the ice is a thin layer, rather than frozen solid.  Use normal Ice rules, but elements break through Ice on a 4-6, rather than a 6 as normal.

Political Prisoners
Each "stand" hex contains 1 stand of Foot Infantry, representing massed prisoners.  Once a valid escape route out of the stadium is established (whether through taking down a gate, or blowing down a section of ring), any Infantry stands without an enemy unit within 3 hexes will move toward the nearest escape route, seeking to leave the Coliseum and move to a board edge and off-board.  Due to their panic, Infantry move at a rate of 2 hexes per turn (ignoring elevation changes within the Colisum).  No unit may fire at prisoners until a valid escape route has been opened.  Presidential Guard may fire freely at prisoners as long as no First Cavalry combat unit is an equal or closer distance away.  Militia units may fire at prisoners under the same condition, but only after passing a 9+ check on 2d6 during fire declaration.  If this is failed, they may fire at Cavalry units that turn at a +1 penalty.

All political prisoner stands move first automatically each turn (ie, lose initiative).

Forced Withdrawal
As the First Cavalry is completely isolated, they are not subject to forced withdrawal.  As they are pants-shittingly fanatical, the Presidential Guard are not subject to forced withdrawal.  The Militia forces are subject to normal forced withdrawal rules, and may withdrawal off the north or south board edge.

El Presidente
Both Colonel Ben-Zhaye and President Pro-Term Katz are on hand to oversee the executions, and will attempt to flee.  Each "asset" is accompanied by a platoon of IS Standard Armored Infantry, and a small vehicle column.  These begin on the board as an Armored Infantry stand, which takes damage as normal.  Once all 4 Armored Infantry on the stand have been killed, each additional point of damage kills the VIP on a 6+ on 2d6.  As soon as a valid escape path into the Coliseum is opened, these Armored Infantry stands will begin moving toward a hex containing a Vehicle unit.  There are three vehicles stacked into the hex - determine which one contains the VIP randomly (this is secret information).  If the vehicle containing the VIP is destroyed, the VIP is killed.  These vehicles will attempt to flee the Coliseum to an board edge and escape.

Note that each group (in Armored Infantry or Vehicle mode) will surrender during the End Phase if they begin the End Phase adjoining 2+ First Cavalry units. 

Note that Armored Infantry stands can stack in a hex with political prisoners.  First Cavalry members may elect to apply a +3 penalty to weapons fire against such a stacked unit and only hit the Armored Infantry, or may shoot at no penalty and randomly determine which unit is hit (prisoners are hit on a 1-4, Armored Infantry on a 5-6).  Vehicles cannot stack with political prisoners, but may elect to move through them.  Roll for 1 random motive critical hit with a -3 modifier to the roll (once per hex of prisoners traveled through), and deal 1d6 damage to each prisoner stand moved through.

Overwhelming Force
The game ends by Turn 12, as massive militia reinforcements will move into the area and smash the isolated First Cavalry Forces.  Total up VP at this time.

Victory Points
First Cavalry
-Each prisoner stand which survives the scenario at 1/2-strength or more: 1 VP
-Each prisoner stand which escapes the Coliseum or board: 1 VP
-Killing the Colonel or the President: 4 VPs each
-Capturing the Colonel or the President: 6 VPs each
-Every 2 OPFOR Mechs either destroyed, crippled, or in forced withdrawal: 1 VP

Acamar Defenders
-Each prisoner stand reduced to 1/2-strength or less: 1 VP
-Every 2 prisoner stands completely destroyed: 1 VP
-Either the Colonel or the President survives the scenario, un-captured: 5 VPs
-Each OPFOR Mech destroyed: 1 VP
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:54:20 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »

Looks like fun.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:43 AM »

So i will not be there until after the lunch break as I have to work until 1pm.  Looking forward to seeing you all.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:51 AM »

I should be there around 10 to 1030.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »

OK, if I post up the mapsheet JPGs for the Coliseum maps, can anyone print them off and assemble them for Friday?  Printing on a single sheet isn't required - each map is made to be printed on 4 sheets and assembled.  I thought I could do it, but I'm simply not going to have enough time at home to make my printer work before I have to leave.

The images are in the attached Winzip archive.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »

Questionable.  Health issues.

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »

My son and I should be there by 10:30.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »

We finally got the update on the last of the basketball tournament games and they scheduled one of them for 2 PM in the afternoon.  *sigh*  All 3 of my boys have basketball games at 11 AM - noon in two different locations.  I'm not going to be able to make it after all.  The only good news is I've finally got all the schedules, so should have an easier time figuring out if I can make it in January or not.

Still interested in the Clan game. Let me know what I need to do for that.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 01:04:32 AM »

So...can someone confirm the printing?  I see multiple downloads...

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:38 AM »

I can try tonight, if you give me some instructions on the best way to break them up into multiple sheets.  Can it be done with Heavy Metal Map Maker?  I'm not a computer genius on this type of thing. ;D

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »

I tried, could not get it to print here at work.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 09:19:43 AM »

What map pack are those from initally?  I may have them floating around in the lair.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 11:45:17 AM »

What map pack are those from initally?  I may have them floating around in the lair.

They aren't.  They're custom-built mapsheets.

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »

Ok, I believe I have figured out how to print these.  I will have them there Saturday.