CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 3D printing Mechwarrior Online minis  (Read 5433 times)

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
3D printing Mechwarrior Online minis
« on: November 23, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »

So people have been busy little bees ripping the 3d files out of MechWarrior Online and BattleTech (for the vehicles) and posting them online as printable minis (many in actual mini scale). If you look at the aggregator sites like yeggi.com, there are hundreds of "Ready to Print"* models, including variant armaments. The detail level required at tabletop scale means that they need to be printed on a SLA or DLP printer using resin photocuring instead of melted plastic in a FDM printer like the "minis" I made for the large scale game.

What kind of interest is there in MWO/Battletech minis in our games?

* If you believe "Ready to Print"...

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
Re: 3D printing Mechwarrior Online minis
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »

Hell I mean a lot of those look better than the regular
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 11:36:09 PM »

Hell I mean a lot of those look better than the regular
They are certainly more detailed and none of them look like a stiff wind will knock them over.
I spent a couple of hours downloading all of the files I could find and it's an impressive list. There are a good 30+ mini scale mech files out there and I found about 10  vehicles as well. Most of the mechs were 3039-3050 IS stuff with a few 3050 clan designs.

The vehicle files are a little hit or miss in terms of distribution. I found a Shrek, Demolisher, LRM/SRM Carrier, Scorpion and Bull Dog, plus a few other odds and ends. So no good MBT, but god help you with fire support and ambushes. Shrek and LRM Carrier supporting an ambush by Demolishers and SRM Carriers. *Shudder*

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 12:23:40 AM »

There are a good 30+ mini scale mech files out there and I found about 10  vehicles as well.

Can you post a list?  First, I have zero issue with MWO Mechs appearing on the table...as long as people can tell what they are.  There are some real issues with some of the MWO designs looking similar at a distance (particularly the medium-class humanoids) because several have similar broadly similar outlines and their panel density and configurations are very similar.  As a rule, IWM minis are of a much lower "complexity", but they also generally have more unique silhouettes, which make them easier to tell apart (with some outliers; Ostroc and Ostsol come immediately to mind).

For vees, honestly, we've got comparatively a ton of the common vee mini now, so I'm less worried about those.  IIRC, the group has access to ~8 Schrecks, at least 6 each LRM and SRM carriers, and ~8 Scorpions.  If we find ourselves facing more than 2 lances of Schrecks at one time, we've done something horribly wrong and/or have gone back in time to fight the Star League directly.

Aside from confusion on the tabletop, my main issue is that the MWO minis are not at all fun to paint (I have a MWO Atlas and Catapult in 1/285th scale), because of the panel density.  There's a TON of fiddly details and panel lines, which mean they'll take quite a bit longer to paint when you're actually doing individual paneling.  That's mostly an issue for myself and Bryan, though.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 01:15:59 AM »

There are a good 30+ mini scale mech files out there and I found about 10  vehicles as well.

Can you post a list?  First, I have zero issue with MWO Mechs appearing on the table...as long as people can tell what they are.  There are some real issues with some of the MWO designs looking similar at a distance (particularly the medium-class humanoids) because several have similar broadly similar outlines and their panel density and configurations are very similar.  As a rule, IWM minis are of a much lower "complexity", but they also generally have more unique silhouettes, which make them easier to tell apart (with some outliers; Ostroc and Ostsol come immediately to mind).

For vees, honestly, we've got comparatively a ton of the common vee mini now, so I'm less worried about those.  IIRC, the group has access to ~8 Schrecks, at least 6 each LRM and SRM carriers, and ~8 Scorpions.  If we find ourselves facing more than 2 lances of Schrecks at one time, we've done something horribly wrong and/or have gone back in time to fight the Star League directly.

Aside from confusion on the tabletop, my main issue is that the MWO minis are not at all fun to paint (I have a MWO Atlas and Catapult in 1/285th scale), because of the panel density.  There's a TON of fiddly details and panel lines, which mean they'll take quite a bit longer to paint when you're actually doing individual paneling.  That's mostly an issue for myself and Bryan, though.

we have more than enough vehicles in most aspects
Die Clanner!!!!

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 07:15:15 AM »

From a hibbyist perspective the awesome is.  Wait for it... Awesome.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 07:24:47 AM »

Honestly, the best use for it that I see is for mechs with null-sig/Chameleon LPS where you can make 2 copies ofthe mini in clear resin and paint one, while leaving the other clear. I've printed off some Shadow Hawk variants and I can definitely see where confusion will be a thing for some of the mechs.Also, there is basically nowhere to put decals, beause of surface greebling/paneling.

One other factor is that UV cured resin is brittle compared to filament, so it will be interesting to see how well they handle transport.

I'll get a list up shortly.

From a hibbyist perspective the awesome is.  Wait for it... Awesome.
Dan... That was Awefulsome.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:27:48 AM »

Vehicles:
Manticore
Missile Carrier (LRM and SRM)
Schrek
Scorpion (AC and MLas)
Bulldog
Demolisher (Scaled for larger prints)
Striker
Warrior H8 (Scaled small but looks printable)
Wheeled APC (Looks like a modification of the Striker main body)

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 08:59:44 AM »

Default is 6mm/285 scale
Mechs:
Adder (Baseless)
Annihilator (N scale only, can be scaled down, 2A and 4A )
Archer (All the sizes, many variants)
Arctic Cheetah (Possible model issue)
Atlas (N and Large scale parts only)
Awesome (N scale parts as well)
Banshee (N scale, scale down)\
Battlemaster (N scale parts as well, 1D and 1S)
Black Knight (N scale parts only, BL-6 and BL-9)
Blackjack (N scale parts only)
Blood Asp (Prime and some custom missile loadout)
Bushwacker (N scale parts only)
Catapult (All the sizes, C1 and K2 minis)
Centurion (N Scale Yen Lo Wang, mini scale CN9-D)
Commando
Crab
Cyclops (N scale only)
Dire Wolf (Classic sculpt)
Dragon
Ebon Jaguar
Fafnir
Firestarter
Flea (N scale only)
Grasshopper

End part 1

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »

Mechs Continued:
Highlander (All the sizes)
Hunchback (N scale as well, 4G and 4SP with LRM-10s instead of SRM-6s)
Hunchback IIC (AC and 4xLRM-20)
Jagermech (Classic mini, MWO N scale)
Jenner (Large and N Scale only)
King Crab (All the sizes)
Kintaro (N scale as well)
Kit Fox (classic sculpt)
Locust (N scale only)
Mad Cat Mk II (Large scale only)
Mad Dog (Large scale only)
Marauder (Large and N scale only)
Mauler (looks like a low res file)
Orion (Multiple variants)
Osiris (N scale, but scalable)
Panther (low res)
Phoenix Hawk (Large and N scale only)
Raven (All the sizes)
Rifleman (Large and N scale)
Shadow Hawk (All the sizes, multiple variants)
Spider
Stalker (N scale only)
Summoner (Large scale only)
Thunderbolt (Large scale only)
Timber Wolf (Large and mini)
Trebuchet (scalable N)
UrbanMech (Large scale only)
Uziel (N scale only)
Victor (N scale as well)
Warhammer (All of the sizes)
War Hawk (classic sculpt)
Wolfhound (scalable N)
Wolverine (N scale only)
Zeus (N scale only)

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »

Files legend:
Large scale files are articulated and movable, like we played with in the large scale game.
N Scale is used for N scale and 10mm scale. N scale files are divided into pieces like the large scale files. Most N scale models are not movable.
N Scale files that are scalable are in a single piece and it's a simple scale by X% to make it a mini.

Several of these downloads include blender files with all of the potential configurations. If anyone is interested, they can create their specific configuration.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:11:38 AM by Timberwolfd »

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »

Imgur gallery of prints and print.
https://imgur.com/a/SpjrlIg

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »

I enjoy seeing alt sculpts on the table. Just adds to the interest, for instance, Rob's warhansa Marauder.

I'm not sure I have a whole lot of interest in these for my own collection though. I've got more mechs than I need, and it's unlikely I'll ever get around to painting them all unless I somehow pick up Rob's ability to overnight regiments. I'm not sold that these would look as good as pewter mini once painted (not that it matters for those who want to flesh out OpFor and stuff with massed units, APCs are too tiny to care). If you start printing these (do you have access to the required printer type?), I'd likely order a couple just to check them out.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »

I did pick up an appropriate printer.

I definitely understand the "It looks cool and all, but..." factor. The biggest draw it has for me will be customizing the pose. Given that most of the models are classic 3039-3050 designs which most of us have multiples of, I don't expect a big "OMG, must have!" moment.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 01:03:01 PM »

I did pick up an appropriate printer.

I definitely understand the "It looks cool and all, but..." factor. The biggest draw it has for me will be customizing the pose. Given that most of the models are classic 3039-3050 designs which most of us have multiples of, I don't expect a big "OMG, must have!" moment.

Honestly, I'd like to see how well the Awesome comes out, as all of the sculpts for it have been three piece static blocks.
Pages: [1] 2