CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Operation INVESTITURE Unit Record October 3053  (Read 1068 times)

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Operation INVESTITURE Unit Record October 3053
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 01:05:31 PM »

"Preparations"
Manor House, Outskirts of Ceres City
Capella
November 14, 3053

Security had been stepped up around the arrival of Ion Rush, and appears to be once again with the anticipated arrival of the Master of Ceremonies for the investiture.  It strikes some as a bit odd that the Duke would arrive two days in advance.  It is a confusion that is quickly rectified as the convoy pulls up to the estate and the assembled though it is not in fact the Duke of Capella whose arrival is being honored.  Exiting the other vehicles are a large number of security personnel including significant numbers of Death Commandos who take up a secure perimeter prior to the limo coming to a stop and the door opened.  Stepping out of the limo is James Teng, the Confederation’s Strategic Military Director.  Both Kasei and Ion greet him, neither appear surprised by the appearance.  As the three men and then the rest of you filter in, the Death Commandos and additional security do as well.  The Rangers are informed that non-citizens will not be permitted any weapons ceremonial or otherwise while the SMD is present.

-----------

Shortly after the announcement about weapons is made, Rosk sends a note to Hiro.

"Hiro, I understand the need for security. I happen to have a katana with my, a mark of my graduation from Sun Zhang. I would be honored if you could hold it for me until such a time that the need for strictest security is ended."

It is less than an hour later that there is a knock on Rosk's door.  Opening it he finds Hiro standing outside in dress uniform including a pair of white gloves.  "I have come to honor your request."

Rosk goes over to a long thin pine box, tied with a green silk band. He unties it, revealing a black saya with silver script on it. He picks up the entire box, and brings it to Hiro.

"Thank you. It was been good to get to know you over these weeks. I cannot imagine the amount of pressure you are under right now, and so it means a great deal that you have taken time to honor me with this."

Hiro takes it with the appropriate respect.  "If only more of the Rangers were like you."

Rosk bows and replies, "The painting is almost done. I shall make sure it is complete after the investiture."

Returning the bow Hiro responds, "I look forward to seeing it then."

-----------

Much as when Ion arrived a dinner is held is his honor with family and guests present.  There is far more of a security presence though.  The estate is a full armed camp with security present in every hall, building and courtyard.  Given the importance of them men in attendance it’s only natural.  There is peace and solitude in your quarters but even there the sounds of soldiers’ footsteps in the halls beyond intrude upon the stillness.  At the dinner the majority of conversations are spoken in Mandarin unless interacting directly with the Ranger tables.  With them sit familiar members of the security details who serve as translators when necessary.  Out of respect for the guests, speeches and toasts are provided in English – some more heavily accented than others.  After the speeches end, Teng addresses a comment to Kato in Mandarin which receives a short reply.  When not immediately translated but asked, the translator shares that the Colonel was asked to a private meeting with the Strategic Military Director the following day and the Colonel had replied that he’d be honored.

-----------

The following day Kato arrives once again at his grandfather’s study, a pair of Death’s Commandos standing guard outside in place of the Atayde Guard that had been stationed there.  Upon his arrival he is ushered in to where Teng waits with another pair of Death Commandos placed as unobtrusively as possible.  Kato bows and Teng nods before gesturing to a seat.  Once seated, Teng looks at him.

“Your story is an unusual one.  Were it not for the unwavering loyalty of your grandfather, his dedication to the Confederation and the evidence he has shared with us on your motivations and your actions, we would not be having this conversation now, much less seriously considering elevating you to nobility and Sheng no less.  So.  I wish to hear it from you.”

Kato is a bit surprised but happy to relate it.  “Where would you like me to begin and how much of it do you want to hear?”

“From the beginning, and all of it.”

“That will take some time…”

“Then you had best begin.”

He nods and then starts, speaking of his family’s history briefly touching on Echo company, the Nishamura family, the involvement with the 4th Tau Ceti Rangers and both their Star League origins and traditions as well as the close ties with the Confederation after the fall of the Star League.  Not wishing to spend much time on ancient history he moves on and puts it in context with his family very much holding to those Star League traditions and ideals.  They were loyal to the Confederation, but at their core they adhered to the principles of the Star League far more so than the three that govern Capellan Philosophy.  It was that true devotion that permitted the Federated Suns to accept them as nobles as well as confirm their children and other family members in similar circumstances.  This isn’t to say it wasn’t without restriction, but it was manageable and acceptable.

Kato spoke of his appreciation and great respect for the philosophies the Confederation was founded on and still governed by.  Growing up he saw how people behaved differently as citizens than those who had not earned that status.  It was a process that he had started before the transition first to the Tikonov Free Republic and then just a couple of years later to the Federated Suns.  Completing it helped bring peace to a chaotic time and he enjoyed helping people and providing protection and service back to the citizens.  It was the rock that he held onto in the midst of turbulent seas.

Teng interrupts him at this point, “You had a scholarship and a place at the Capellan War College available to you.  If you felt the call then, why did you turn away?”

“I was already pledged to be Grandfather’s heir.  At sixteen I believed that door would always remain open.  Should I have gone to the Capellan War College so quickly after the end of the 4th Succession War, I wasn’t certain whether I would see my parents or younger siblings again.  I am not as indoctrinated as my parents, but I believe largely that the principles of the Star League were good ones.  Once I committed to NAMA, my path was set for the foreseeable future.”

“So, you claim poor judgement led you astray.”

“No, sir.  I believed in my optimism that both things were possible.  That we sit in this room, having this conversation, leads me to believe I was correct.  While the Rangers have fought against the Confederation before, they have not done so while I have been with them.  I have not raised arms against the State either in my time in the AFFS nor in my time leaving it, and I have continued to honor my commitment to the Confederation throughout.”

“Agreed.”  The confirmation catches Kato off guard, but before he can ask he is told to continue.

Kato relates his time at NAMA, meeting his wife there and his reaching the rank of Sergeant Major.  Had he been from a normal Federated Suns family he would have been enrolled in OCS as his marks and performance exceeded others granted that honor.  It was a cost to be paid for his family’s origin and one he’d come to terms with before attending.  He went on to discuss briefly his advanced studies in strategy and tactics before graduation, his conduct in the War of ’39, the incidents that earned him a Silver Sunburst, his first ‘Mech and an invitation to return for further schooling including OCS.  That opportunity pointed to a willingness at least by some to accept him based on his character and talent rather than his origin.  He earned promotion to the rank of Kommandant before a petty Lyran General forced him out.  The reference to the general as “petty” evokes a small chuckle from Teng and he waves at Kato to continue.  Kato speaks of his time with the Rangers the highs and the lows, the challenges and the rewards and the circumstances leading to his promotion to Commanding Officer.  Finally he covers his tenure as CO and all of the events up through arrival on Capella.  Throughout Teng asks enough questions to tease out details that make it clear he is extremely well informed on Kato’s background.  It also becomes clear that Teng has personally reviewed gun camera footage from at least a couple of Kato’s fights against Clan Jade Falcon as Teng digs further into how the Rangers were successful against the Clans when so many other units were ripped to shreds and destroyed.  Hours pass in the process, but neither of the two men mind.  They wrap up their conversation with a bit of a return to philosophy and how Kato’s insistence on leaving no one behind is an extension of the Lorix Order with those under his command both protectors and citizens in this extension.

Eventually Teng stands signaling an end to the interview, with Kato rising as well.  “This has been a good conversation.  It has been nice to hear your story firsthand.  I look forward to your elevation tomorrow,” and with that pronouncement leaves, the Death Commandos in the room going with him and Kato now comfortable that things will progress as expected.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:55:54 PM by Hat »

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 01:06:24 PM »

"Investiture"
Capella
November 16, 3053

The day dawns bright and clear, a good sign for the events ahead.  With the investiture planned for the afternoon, the morning was spent in final preparations including extensive security reviews of the grounds and individuals present.  People grab a light lunch to tide them over until the celebration after.  The ceremony is to take place in the receiving hall.  Centuries old, it was lovingly tended.  While it lacks the immediate impact that other halls achieve by being decorated with large quantities of precious metals and stone, it is impressive, nonetheless.  Intricate wood carvings and reliefs of various different woods and hues give texture and depth to the work.  Klaus recognizes many of the woods used based on his discussions and research and is pleased to spot others he would have to inquire about later.  Judicious use of jade within the wood carvings as well as use of marble and other stone gives the room a gravitas in excess of the materials used to create it.  All in all, it is a real testament to the skill of the artisans who created it.  Decorative wooden arches and intricate windows add to the ambiance with sunlight streaming through, and campaign banners decorating some walls.  Light is otherwise provided by green decorative lanterns that add some additional color to the room.  At the far end is a dais with just a couple of steps, upon which is a wooden throne done in the same style as the room, a pair of dragons intertwined and decorated with jade and bits of gold.  Based on the craftsmanship it appears to have been made at the same time as the hall.  The throne is reserved for Strategic Military Director Teng.

Hiro enters first in his dress uniform, an honor guard of the 4th with him.  He is followed by Kato in his dress uniform, his honor guard a mixture of Rangers and his new personal guard as Mandrinn.  As eight is considered a particularly lucky number within the culture and groups of eight equally so, there are eight Rangers and eight Atayde Guardsmen.  The Rangers include Lt. Colonel Benton Mudd, Captain Klaus Briesacher, Major Erik Kronwall Captain William Moon, Lieutenant Mary Johns a Midnight Tech and the last of Kato’s original lance, Major Amy Bray, Captain Andromeda Clark and Captain Carleen Fawkes.  The Atayde Guards are led by Captain Carey Fletcher, formerly of Midnight and seven other men and women Kato had handpicked.  Then comes Grandfather, Ion Rush and finally James Teng carrying a ceremonial staff, all with their respective guards.  The only one not in a dress uniform is Kasei Atayde who is dressed in formal robes.  Ion and Kasei are seated off to the side with an excellent and close view of the proceedings, sitting in front of Kato’s family present for the occasion.  The principles sit in the front, their honor guard with them and the security detail seated immediately behind the Rangers able to provide translations if desired.  All the Rangers are offered an earbud through which the ceremony will be translated from Mandarin into English.  Failing that a member of their detail will lean forward and quietly share the translation.

No program is provided though it’s known that Hiro’s investiture will be first, followed by Kato’s.  Striking the staff three times on the dais, Teng opens the ceremonies.

“Hiro Yamamori, Lieutenant Colonel of the 4th Tau Ceti Rangers.  Come forward.”

Hiro rises gracefully and comes to stand at the base of the dais in front of Teng.  Teng spends several minutes exhorting the skill, bravery and loyalty of Hiro and his service to both the 4th and to the Confederation.  Therefore, in thanks for his service, he is made Mandrinn of Shaanxi on Sian, transferred to the 2nd Battalion of the Red Lancers and confirmed as their commanding officer as Zhong-Shao (Lt. Colonel).  There is a brief moment when he’s named Mandrinn that the pride he clearly feels flickers but rapidly vanishes especially after being named to the Red Lancers.  He drops to a knee and swears once again his loyalty to the Capellan Confederation, House Liao and the Chancellor.  Rising, Teng congratulates him and the newly minted Mandrinn sits down.

“Kato Atayde, Colonel and commanding officer of the Numenorean Rangers.  Come forward.”

As did Hiro, he rises gracefully and comes to stand before him.  “You stand before me today to be invested as the Sheng Mandrinn of Ceres City and to be formally and publicly acknowledged as the heir to Shonso Kasei Atayde’s Shonsonate.  That time though, is not yet here.  Before that there is another matter which must be addressed first.”  Teng gestures for Kato to face the assembled, then shifts his attention to address them.

“The man who stands before you today has not taken a typical path to arrive here.  Named at birth as the heir to his grandfather’s legacy and Mandrinn title, his older brother heir to the family Shonsonate on Epsilon Eridani,” eyes flickering to Hiro for just a moment, “he was at the time on a familiar path.  That was before my predecessor Pavel Ridzik betrayed the Confederation, cut a deal with the Fox himself and set up his own realm, the Tikonov Free Republic.”  Individuals familiar with history will find that description accurate if overly simplified.  “Epsilon Eridani was one of those worlds.”

Teng is a skilled orator, pulling the assembled along with him.  “Kato’s parents were accepted as nobles and confirmed as Count and Countess after careful review and scrutiny.  Of course, this review and scrutiny came from MIIO, so that may explain a few things.  We can only hope that his parents are as faithful to the Confederation’s principles and philosophies now as they were then.”  There’s some minor chuckling in the audience at the dig taken against the vaunted intelligence service.

“Kato had been working towards his citizenship before Epsilon Eridani became part of the Tikonov Free Republic and later the Federated Commonwealth.  Despite being a young man of just 13 when he was ripped away from the Confederation and his response to the chaos that followed was to attend to his fellow citizens.  During the transition period, Kato worked diligently to ensure the people his family were responsible for were well taken care of and protected, including in assisting with resettling people who wished to remain within the Capellan Confederation.  For these efforts and others, and despite not still being a part of the Capellan Confederation, he petitioned and was granted citizenship.”

Some quiet murmuring follows the lengths he went through.  Teng picks up the story.  “As I mentioned, MIIO confirmed his parents in continuing their noble rank and spent time evaluating Kato and his remaining siblings as well.  In the end he was accepted and granted full citizenship and privileges within their realm, despite his refusal to renounce his Capellan citizenship.  He was offered enrollment and scholarships to Nagelring, NAIS College of Military Sciences as well as the Capellan War College.  Here he made the unusual choice to enroll on the NAIS College of Military Sciences.  A choice his detractors say demonstrates his perfidy.”

“Despite intelligence, talent and skill demonstrated during his training, he was denied a position in their officer candidate school because of his heritage.  Though not making officer while at the academy he distinguished himself and then acquitted himself well during the War of ’39 at Halstead Station.  With their RCT being hard pressed by two elite regiments of the 2nd Swords of Light, a company was cut off as his commanding general sounded the retreat.  Asked to go rescue them it was clear the General had written them off and if Kato wanted to go get himself killed, the General was happy to write him off as well.  Clearly, events unfolded differently.  He singlehandedly penetrated enemy lines, made contact with the cut off company and led them and their ‘Mechs through the field to safety just before the last of the dropships were taking off.  He was given a Silver Sunburst, sent to Albion and OCS and by the time of graduation had been promoted to Major.  Pettiness on the part of his former commanding general forced him to leave his service and join up with the Rangers.”

“In the Rangers he has risen through the ranks from a junior lieutenant to Colonel and commanding officer.  He has shared with the Confederation detailed information about the Clans including gun camera footage from Somerset, Sudeten and finally Tukayyid.  His unit was successful against the Clans when most were gutted or destroyed.  He has shared the tactics and strategies employed against them.”  Teng’s tenor and pacing picking up and driving to a conclusion.  “He is man of honor and great Spirit who fulfilled his contract to his former liege despite them trying to assassinate him.  Twice.  A man who does not abandon those under his command, but like the State looks out for the welfare of all of those under his care, even at great personal risk to himself.  His character and honor so admirable that even after renouncing being heir to the County on Epsilon Eridani and his Federated Commonwealth citizenship, the Archon Steiner herself publicly thanked him for his service and wished him well.”  Teng pauses to let that sink in.  Unseen to Kato as his back is to him, Teng reaches into a pocket and pulls out a box.  “For all this and more he is awarded the Confederation Master at Arms.”

Kato’s surprise was evident as he turned to face Teng who held the badge accorded with the title.  “Kato Atayde, the State recognizes your strategic skill, the breadth of your contributions to the Capellan military as a result of your service against the Clans, and your demonstrated mastery of the battlefield.  Congratulations.”  Hardy cheers erupt from those in attendance at the honor bestowed.

Teng moves on to Kato’s investiture as Mandrinn and once done and having accepted Kato’s oath of loyalty, gestures for Kasei and Ion to approach.  Kasei carries an ornate dao sword in sheath.  “I Sheng Shonso of Llagarres Kasei Atayde do name and acknowledge Kato Atayde my designated heir.  As a sign of that designation, I present him with the Atayde family dao, passed down through the generations and given by the first Chancellor Franco Liao to our ancestor just after his elevation from Duke in 2367 to the Chancellorship at the founding of the Confederation.  The blade has been impeccably maintained and carried into battle for nearly 700 years.  May it serve you well.*”

There is cheering again after his confirmation and presentation of the blade.  As Kasei turns to step away, Ion places a hand on his shoulder.  “Not so fast, my friend.”  Ion looks at Teng who nods and then Ion continues.  “Though your fighting days are long behind you, your promotion to Sheng Shonso was not just for past service rendered but in expectation of service still to come.  I am pleased to inform you that you are to fill the open seat in the House of Scions to serve the next 12 years as duty demands and share your wisdom with the Confederation.  Congratulations!”

Kasei’s usual unflappable demeanor is rocked by the revelation.  Before he can form a question, Ion beats him to it.  “I was given the honor of informing you by the Chancellor himself when he learned I would already be at an appropriate ceremony.”

Kasei’s response is a bow of humility and gratitude for the honor, first to Ion and then to Teng.  The cheering and excitement are loud, and it takes some time for things to calm down.  Once done, Teng closes the ceremony with another three strikes of his staff.  “Here we are done.  I believe a celebration feast has been prepared in honor of our three recipients.”

* [[--as a game effect, should you choose to carry the Dao in the cockpit, it will incur a +2 penalty to Kato’s ejection PSRs.  However, the link to the traditional Capellan past is inspiring to those under your command. As long as Kato is conscious on the battlefield, he may donate 1 point of Edge per battle to any Lance Leader of Capellan nationality, or any Midnight Lance member of any nationality. This may be performed at any time, and may be used for a reroll even in the event that Lancer Leader or Midnight Lance member has already spent Edge on that roll. It may only be “spent,” and may not be “burnt” to guarantee that person’s survival, however.]]

Confederation Master at Arms
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:56:04 PM by Hat »

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 01:16:53 PM »

"Teaching Moments"
Capellan War College
Capella
Mid to Late November, 3053

A comment Teng made at the Investiture gave Kathrin Hitzig an idea where she’d seen the woman before – gun camera footage.  With the investiture complete and security relaxed at the departure of the various guests, movement to and from the dropship to get access to the material.  It was sometime in the last three years which narrowed things down.  She figured she’d start with her most recent footage from ANGEL and work her way back.  It would take time, but time was something she had to spare at the moment.

-----------

Rosk is standing and waiting. He is looking at a familiar easel, but without paints this time. He looks around, waiting for Hiro's arrival. The view shifts to the painting, and we see a painting, not an expert quality but advanced beginner at best. In the center is an ox shape backgrounded by a mailed fist. There is a green burst coming from the gauntlet, with golden lines running through the green. It’s a smaller painting, about 6 in by 6 in.

Having discussed with Rosk where to meet him to return his blade, Hiro arrives again in his dress uniform with white gloves, carrying the blade with him.  "Lt. Roskakoriinnen.  I return your blade to you."  Though likely curious about what's on the easel, his focus is on the man and the exchange.  There is a sense of a ritual about the process.

With motions that both have familiarity to them, but a stiffness of being out of practice, Rosk adjusts his obi, fixing the know. He bows to Hiro, accepts the blade and now moving with swiftness tucks the blade in the obi. "My thanks, Lt. Colonel Yamamori, for the safekeeping of my blade." There is a definite emphasis on colonel, not mocking but drawing attention. "This gift you have presented me in my blades safekeeping is much more than was required of you, and for that you have my thanks." Rosk bows again, and pauses to indicate the end of the ritual. After the break, Rosk turns towards that painting and continues, "I found out duty will require that you leave for your new post tomorrow. I hope that you continue to grow and thrive in the new command, as you have in the past." Rosk appears to be trying to formulate other words, but they escape him for the moment.

There is a slight ripple of a reaction to the note of Colonel, fleeting and barely noticed.  He nods as seems appropriate at the end of the ritual, then returns the bow.  "Thank you.  I wish you great success with the Rangers or another fitting command," he responds, struggling a bit with words, though his command of Japanese while not fluent has been sufficient.  He starts the turn to leave, pauses and turns back.  "There is... perhaps... more of the Kato I remember from when he was young left than I... thought.  He might benefit from talks such as these, if you're so inclined.  I would welcome your insights on such discussions if you have them."  Though he hides it well, it is clear he is conflicted with many eddies and currents.  Seeking to move to safer grounds he glances over at the painting.  "I confess I do not see the meaning in what you have painted, though would be interested in your intent should you be willing to share."  Rosk can sense that the admission is out of character from what at least most would expect.  At the same time he believes it to be genuine as well.  He looks as if he intends to say more, or ask something, but the words never come.

Moving on to safer topics, Rosk starts to explain the painting. "I did most of the painting in the morning, which along with conversations lead to the overall sunburst theme. I struggled to find a theme to paint on, as for a long time I thought I was painting this for someone else. Yet this time away from the daily stress and grind of mercenary life showed that I needed to reflect on myself. With Chinese zodiac signs, I was born under the ox most likely and so that was I placed at the core. The mailed fist was not originally in my mind, but as I reflected here, I was reminded that at my core I am a fighter. Whether fighting an enemy in a ‘Mech, or fighting for the poorest of the poor forgotten I discovered here that both are the same. This was an ...interesting time away from combat, and while I did some needed reflection, I found the balance I needed not in the stories from my people but from a people who hold similar but different values."

There is a bit of relief evident when Rosk shares that the painting is self-reflective.  "I was curious about the bull and the zodiac but wasn't sure if it was more of a Taurian reference for some reason as you're not Han.  Balance though is good.  It can be hard to find.  I do recommend you read the Korvin Doctrine, the Sarna Mandate and the Lorix Order or reread them if you have already.  Again, to get perhaps a slightly different perspective in more detail.  Should you wish to speak in the future, I would welcome it.  Should you decide to return or come to Sian, I am sure we can provide appropriate supplies."  There's a slight smile when he says this, and you sense the offer goes beyond mere paints and canvas.

Rosk chuckles slightly at the invitation. "Thank you for the recommendation on leadership, as I'm always looking for new, sorry not new but new ways to look at the proper old ideas. I don't get many invitations in my line of work, but if circumstances work out, I would like to see Sian." Rosk switches to Mandarin, which sounds like memorized phrases at worse, but there is a beginning of understanding the language. "It has been my honor to have these conversations with you, and the hospitality you have shown me is beyond conversation. I will certainly keep in touch, although HPG rates being what they are now you have to wonder about Comstar. I wish you all the success with the Red Lancers, and would also welcome further letters."

Hiro's smile grows a bit with the clear effort to speak in his native tongue.  "Thank you.  It has been an honor to speak with you as well and good to know there may be other more reasonable influences on my brother.  As opportunity permits, we will speak again."  He bows to Rosk.

Sensing the conversation coming to an end, Rosk responds, "I will continue to try. If we were both in different professions, here would be where I would say that I hope to see you again soon. Instead, I will stay in touch, but I never want to see you again until we are both old men and retired. Take care, and I hope I am not being to presumptuous saying this, take care my friend."

"I would be happy to see you sooner on the same side of the battlefield, as allies and friends," he responds acknowledging the friendship.  "Take care as well.  And may you not just survive, but prosper."  With that he bows once more and leaves.

-----------

The flight from Ceres City to the Capellan War College was manageable.  Kato was invited to speak as a guest lecturer covering the Clans and his experiences with them along with battle armor deployment and tactics.  One of the perks or duties of his being named a Confederation Master at Arms.  Many of the instructors there already shared the same distinction and he’d have a chance to speak and learn from them as well.

During the week he was gone, Erin Mae would be finalizing their selection of a tutor she was comfortable with.  He expected the Rangers would be fine.  They’d already been here for four weeks and while some certainly chafed under the constant presence of the security details, they made the most of it.  It was strange for him.  He would be spending a week without seeing anyone he knew.  That hadn’t happened since his Academy days nearly twenty years earlier.

Settling in went smoothly as did several of the early lectures.  Occasionally tough questions, but he had the experience and gun cam footage to pull from.  The students by and large were the easy part.  The faculty was another matter.  He found himself in debates over the use and success rates of different tactics he deployed and how much fortune factored into them.  While spirited they lacked the animus of the arguments he’d had with his brother.  There was still a wariness to the welcome, eased just a bit when it became clear he had no intention of leaving the Rangers anytime soon.  The arguments though pushed him to reexamine his assumptions, to refine the strategies he’d deployed and to find opportunities for improvement to take advantage of in the future.  Likewise, he was able to push some of the others to think in different ways and was satisfied to see them depart at times with thoughtful expressions.  Ultimately the beneficiaries of those ponderings would be the warriors trained within these walls.

In his free time in the late afternoon and evenings he was able to avail himself of time with the sword master at the school.  He was able to train with the family dao, getting used to the weight and the way it handled.  His grandfather had not exaggerated – it had been meticulously maintained.  So, in addition to some refinement of forms and the opportunity to spar against a true master, the finer points for the care of the blade were also covered.  Much he already knew but there were some tips and tricks that would help ensure that when he passed it onto one of his children, it would be in the same shape it was then.

As the week ended and he headed back, it had been time well spent.  Whether intentional or not, it served as a mini-sabbatical, and he looked forward to seeing his family and discovering what challenges lay ahead for the Rangers.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:56:15 PM by Hat »

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 01:17:54 PM »

"Pointed Questions"
Capella
November 22, 3053

Kato returned to find that not much had changed.  He had said goodbye to Hiro and the rest of his family before he’d departed for the War College as then expected to depart within a few days of the investiture.  He had been worried that the additional accolades that had been given to Kato would have caused Hiro’s hostility to flare up again.  It was evident that he was less thrilled with getting a Barduk rather than Sheng title.  That said, he had no family of his own, so passing along any title at the moment was moot.  So, while satisfied with his new station might be an overstatement, mollified certainly applied and the hostility that might be driven from this would be directed elsewhere.  Kato had not requested or lobbied for the additional honors which mitigated things in his favor.

He had been happy to learn that the Maskirova had departed two days after his investiture.  With them gone along with his extended family, the manor was much more peaceful.  He would need to finalize the officers for his Atayde Guard force at the estate.  Getta Milos had been impressed with what she had seen of Capella, and he’d been surprised to discover she spoke fluent Mandarin.  He intended to offer her an officer position which would mean a promotion.  It would also give Carey a familiar face to hang onto while Kato and the rest were away.

One of the first orders of business he wanted to attend to upon returning though was the matter of the assassination attempt.  He’d heard nothing from his grandfather while he was gone and was sure that Benton was not happy about the lack of information.  He had sent word ahead that he wanted to speak to his grandfather about it upon his return and was told to attend him in the receiving hall.  Arriving he discovered that most of the rest of his command staff were present, some were still trickling in.  With them, speaking with Kasei was Lt. Zin.  The Lieutenant notices Kato almost immediately and smiles.  “Good.  You’re here.  We can begin.”  Kato glances around to figure out where everyone will sit when Zin gestures to the throne on the dais.  “I believe that is where you belong.”  Glancing over at his grandfather, Kasei nods.  “You are the noble in residence, and this is your hall.”

Kato nods and starts heading that way.  Those who know him best realize it’s a bit uncomfortable for him, but he ascends and sits comfortably, his eyes on Zin.  “I am guessing you have news then.”

“Oh indeed.  We’ve captured the assassin and gotten a full confession from her.  One you will hear shortly as well.  I have a couple of my men bringing her in.”

“And who is she?”

Zin smiles contentedly.  “A MIIO agent.”

Mudd frowns.  “MIIO?  I told Kato I didn’t think it was necessarily you, but while I have other enemies, MIIO feels like a stretch.”

Zin snorts.  “If I were going to assassinate you here on Capella, it wouldn’t have been in anything close to the slap dash method she used.  Besides, if I were going to do it, I’d want you to know it was me.”

“You did say it would be awful if a tragic accident happened to me as it almost did to Hiro, though for you to take the coward’s way out by attempting to poison me…” Benton points out and then goads, trying to get a rise out of Zin.

The lieutenant waves it off.  “A bit of verbal sparring given the courtesy requested by two decorated members of the nobility,” he explains.  “You think I’d be so crude in my threat or use such a base method?”

“Well, no,” Mudd responds.  “But your Tong ancestors and my family have been trying to kill each other for a millennia, so perhaps you tried something new?”

“Why bother when I could kill you with my bare hands?”

“So you admit to planning to kill me here?”

“No, it would just be so easy to do if I chose.”

“Gentlemen,” Kato interjects, “It is fair to point out that the ‘clumsiness’ could in fact simply be a bit of misdirection to throw suspicion off the obvious choice, because it is a little too pat.”  Kathrin enters along with Malthus chatting quietly before joining the others in chairs towards the front.

Zin’s smile is genuine, “Ah.  Nice to see your sensitivity to tactics and strategy extends beyond the battlefield and into politics.  It’s hard to get any more deadly than politics.  You have good instincts.  Still need to be refined, but I believe that’s what Rush said too.”  Kato didn’t bother asking how Zin learned about the details of a private conversation with the House Master.

“We should really see about finding a way to end the feud with our generation, don’t you think?”

The lieutenant actually pauses to consider.  “Well, given you’re showing enough openmindedness to follow a Capellan noble into battle and to faithfully serve him, perhaps there is room to bury the hatchet.”

"He was a Davion noble up until a few months ago, and our forebears served together in Echo Company of the 741st."

"Well, he's not a Davion noble anymore, he's a Capellan noble and you're still following.  May still be worth burying the hatchet."

“I was thinking more a ‘Mech duel to the death.”

“Well in that case, that also could be arranged.  Though of all your family you actually show promise.  I’m not sure I want to destroy you.”

“As much ‘fun’ as this is watching the two of you throw insults back and forth, can we get down to dealing with the actual issue?  MIIO is a convenient choice given our run in with them recently, again almost too pat,” Will Moon adds.  “And you’ve had plenty of time to manufacture evidence or even a scapegoat if you wanted to.  Why should we believe this is the real deal?”

“Because it is, and you’ll get to hear it straight from her mouth… and here she is now.”

The timing is uncanny, and it’s unclear if he signaled the other two commandos or if they truly did just happen to appear as if on cue.  A familiar looking blonde woman enters flanked on either side by Death Commandos.  There are a couple of things that strike you immediately.  Other than perhaps a bit tired, she looks none the worse for wear.  No bruises, cuts or bandages are in evidence on her face, neck, or arms or elsewhere through the clothing.  No telltale signs that needles were used for injections and her eyes are bright and clear which would eliminate being on drugs.  Her pallor is healthy, and she doesn’t look like she’s been malnourished.  Perhaps more surprising, she is not restrained.  No handcuffs, bindings, collars, or fetters limit her movement and while her eyes start scanning the room immediately upon entry, cataloguing people and details, she makes no effort to escape though exudes a self-confidence that’s surprising in the situation.

As she and her captors near the front, Zin steps into view, having screened himself from observation using the other people present.  Seeing him she staggers as if struck by a physical blow, clearly terrified of Zin, and eyes actively scanning for a way out – to be anywhere but in the presence of that man.  To help ensure that something untoward doesn’t happen each Death Commando takes hold of her upper arm on her side effectively trapping her here.

“Lt. Hitzig.  This is the woman you saw in the restaurant and who has been confirmed to have delivered the poisoned chess set?”

Kathrin nods.  “It is.  And I can prove…”

Zin looks at her pointedly and raises a hand to stop her.  “Why don’t we let her confess and then you can corroborate what you know, shall we?”  Kathrin turns and looks at Kato who shrugs slightly.  “Ok.”

Zin smiles once again.  “Splendid.  Now Mandy,” he says turning and addressing her, his gaze causing her to flinch back.  “Why don’t you share with me what you’re doing here, starting with who you are and who your target is.”  He steps back, letting focus fall squarely on her.

She swallows and looks around, settling to look at Kato who’s seated as if in judgement of her.  She glances back at Zin, shudders and begins.  “My name is Mandy Pattergee-Hasek, MIIO.  I was part of the forces on Vanra that attempted to destroy Colonel Atayde and attacked the rest of his command to get to him.”

“Here?”

“Here my target was Roger Banzai,” she notes her face hardening as she stares at Roger, “who operates under the alias of Benton Mudd.  My district commander believed it would be unconscionable to allow someone with direct ties to Dr. Banzai to fall under the sway of the Capellan Confederation.  It would be better for him to be dead than betray us!” she states with venom.  Roger seems taken aback.

“I wouldn’t betray my family like that.”

“And you would have gotten a hero’s funeral and likely a Federated Commonwealth Medal of Honor for your sacrifice!”

“But I’d be dead!”

“But your loyalty would have been assured!”

"And who is your district commander?" Mudd asks.

"Kommandant Teresa Flynn," Mandy answers.  She looks at Kato.  "I know she meets regularly with Leftenant General Sarah Delittle."

Roger looks at Kato.  "Isn't that the general that hates you?"

Kato shrugs.  "One of two.  She's the one in the Capellan March on Valexa as opposed to General Nial Slattery who's on Tsitsang."

"You sure know how to pick them, don't you Kato?"

"This is likely to sour the Kommandant on coming after you.  All of you.  Three attempts, three failures.  Not good for one's career."

Kato looks away from the fanatic to Hitzig.  “It’s true Colonel.  She is Kommandant Mandy Pattergee-Hasek.  I knew I’d seen her before, and I had.  I just started looking in the wrong place.  I was convinced - correctly - that I had seen her in gun-camera footage, which I had.  I had assumed that it was in fact mine.  It wasn’t.  It was Captain Moon’s.  She piloted the Battlemaster in MIIO’s ambush of the Rangers on Vanra and punched out when her ‘Mech was destroyed.  Moon had been trying to capture her, but she slipped away.  I’d reviewed the footage after the ambush.  It’s why it took so long for me to find it.”

Mandy turns and looks at Kato.  “Please!  You understand loyalty in service to a State!”  She throws herself to the ground in front of the dais Kato sits on.  “You’re an honorable man, I beg you for mercy!  Spare my life.”

There is silence for a few moments while Kato considers the possible outcomes and ramifications.  Ultimately, he shakes his head. “No.  You have forfeited any claim to mercy through repeated attempts to kill members of my command through ambush and deceit.  You have said death is a way to preserve the loyalty of the condemned.  I will grant you what you have offered Roger.”  Zin watches the events unfold with interest.

“As Mandrinn of Ceres City and Commanding Officer of the Numenorean Rangers, you are sentenced to death for multiple assassination attempts and the murder of Soon-hee Yu.”  He stands and strides from the dais down the steps, loosening the sword in his scabbard.  “Bring her,” he commands, and the two Death Commandos bring their charge with them, Zin and the others filtering out behind him.  He leads them out of the manor entirely and to a small clearing close to the manor’s entrance.  “I will not sully the grounds of my home with your blood.”  He fluidly draws the ancestral dao as the two death commandos force her to her knees, the back of her neck exposed.  “I grant you a minute to make peace with your God or whatever higher power if any you believe in.”

Mandy takes the time granted to her, head bent her whispers audible only to herself.  Her whispers go on for several minutes, though Kato seems content to let her do so.  Eventually she finishes and nods once slightly, head still bent.  Kato’s strike is quick and true.  The blade cleaves her head from her body, killing her instantly.  He stands silently for a moment, head bowed perhaps offering a prayer for her soul or whatever may come.  He pulls out a cloth and cleans the blood from the blade, then looks up at the two Death Commandos.  “Please make sure her remains are returned to her family and send a note to her district commander.  Let him know that she died in loyal service to the Federated Suns and that her actions and sacrifice warrant recognition with a posthumous award.”

He looks around at the Rangers present making eye contact with each briefly before commenting.  “I take responsibility for this.  It is my job as your commanding officer to see to your safety and wellbeing.  I don’t intend to fail you.”  With that he leads the group back into the manor as the Kommandant’s remains are prepared with honors.

Returning inside a bit worse for wear Moon started to formulate an idea. It quickly vanished however. He had been working out how he could've gotten her maybe a bit of leniency. Maybe a strict labor position in prison or used her as a bargaining chip?  Will might believe in the FedCom, and would have preferred for her not to die, but that was strike three. The woman held no honor and after hearing the reason she acted, he was convinced even more she wasn't worth saving.

He spoke up.  "Hard thing to do Kato. Glad my cam footage helped. I wasn't sure what you were after since we didn't have a great description.  I didn't think too much of it since MIIO should've called them off. Again, trust MIIO with a grain of salt."  He pauses, then offers, "We could've got something out of the FedCom possibly, but I'd sure not want her to be back at us again. Wish I had went out with them and gotten a good look. She definitely had a face to remember."

Thinking to himself that Flynn had now sent three kill missions on the Rangers and would not get mercy from Moon. There wouldn't be a tribunal, only a body in an alley.

"At least she gave us the name of the regional director.  That's something."

Kato nods.  "Someone to watch out for.  General Delittle is stirring up a fair amount of trouble.  We can hope Mandy was right, and Flynn will stop dancing to her tune.  I'd rather not have to keep watching out for MIIO assassins."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:56:25 PM by Hat »

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2022, 09:37:09 PM »

"Closing Ceremonies"
Capella
November 29, 3053

A formal dinner was planned for the evening of the 29th in his grandfather’s honor.  With the estates now officially Kato’s it was time for his grandfather to return to his own.  Kato’s staff was already in place and his grandfather would ensure it was taken care of properly.  He and his family would move into the master suite after his grandfather’s departure.  It was strange to think that he finally had a home that didn’t regularly break atmosphere and travel between the stars.  Pleasant though.

He reviewed Erin Mae’s selection of tutor and was impressed with how insightful she’d been in cataloguing the different candidates’ strengths and weaknesses.  He couldn’t fault her judgement or final selection and was happy with it.  She and the kids would have to deal with the woman far more often than he.  He expected there was a good chance the woman was a Maskirova agent, but if so, there was little he could do about it.  Besides, he expected he already had one or more of them in the unit, so one more wouldn’t matter much.

The dinner went well.  It was clear how fond the staff was of him and how much they would miss him.  Thankfully he could stop by periodically which would make it easier on all involved. 

The following morning Kato, Erin Mae, the kids, and Grandfather shared an intimate breakfast as an opportunity to say goodbye in private.

“You have done well, granddaughter.  Had the Maskirova not been satisfied with your answers either they would not have left yet, or you would have gone with them.  I am proud of you and the poise you showed in the face of adversity.  Well done.”  Erin Mae was touched by the sentiment as Grandfather wasn’t very free with his complements.

“And you Kato.  I still believe you have much to prove to be generally accepted within the broader ranks, but you are off to a good start.  I will continue to oversee things here so that when you return, all will be in order.”

“Thank you, Grandfather.  I have no doubt that all will be as it should.  I look forward to when we will next be able to meet in person.”

Kasei nods in response.  The rest of breakfast passes and the family says their goodbyes and sees him off.  They travel back through the outer gate, wandering through the outer courtyard and then transitioning to the inner courtyard finding it empty but filled with a serenity that has been a rare commodity in their lives.  Picking up Kenji and carrying Dai Eiko they head into the master residence and though they will likely depart in a mere week or two, begin to settle into the next phase of life.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:56:35 PM by Hat »
Pages: 1 [2]