CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: GM Post: Consequences  (Read 220 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
GM Post: Consequences
« on: May 19, 2022, 06:00:10 PM »

It has come to my attention that there are between 0 and 12 slightly disgruntled players, who feel that they are being overtly left out to dry by teammates during games.  For example, player 1 says "hey, you go over east and I'll cover you", player 2 moves to the east, and the player 1's initiative comes back up and he sees some easy kills off to the west, and so abandons player 2 and moves off to the west after XP...and now player 2 is stuck by themselves facing down a Star of 0/0 Dire Wolves or something.

This is perfectly legitimate gameplay.  This is something you are absolutely free to do.  The choice between what's good for the *mission* and what's good for *your lance* can, will, and should, sometimes conflict, and there's nothing more "mercenary" than ignoring mission objectives to enrich yourself, right?

Your fellow players are also completely within their rights to make logical - solely in-game - consequences from this, happen.  No, not assassinating other characters (or players.  Not again, Dan.).  However, should a character who's been left out to dry by another character's lance feel the urge to not help that player, that's fine.  Should a character who's been left out to dry by another character's lance feel the urge to have their lance leader suddenly take a swing at the other lance leader? That's also fine; we've got rules for that.  Mainly, I want to impress to the group that while this is not an actively PVP campaign, you are not immune to consequences from your decisions which originate from other characters, as well as from the GM.  This will continue as long as there are no IRL bad feelings about it.  If things escalate to that point, I'll step in and nobody will like it.