CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: QUESTIONS  (Read 21897 times)

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
QUESTIONS
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »

I am blind and honestly its a little overwhelming and have no idea where to start now since I have never done this type of thing before. I know having better techs and getting parts is good. If someone can give me a good idea of what books will be needed at this point.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:13:40 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: questions(after character creation)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »

Contract

Do this first. Go review the available contracts and vote for one.

Warehouse Parts & Cash

No problem man, the only thing you really need to worry about right now is purchasing spare parts to take with you. The first thing to do is find Rob's spreadsheet and download it. Have a look at what parts Rob has and that gives you a good idea of some places to start on purchasing your own.

You also need to figure out how much money you have to buy parts with. Here's what you get:
$430,000 Starting cash from unit creation
$480,000 Bonus cash from Wealth (6) - Wealth (6) = 120k x4 (creation bonus) = 480k
$  40,000 Bonus cash from Well-Connected (2) = 10k x4 (creation bonus) = 40k
$950,000  Total

Nice job, you're fairly well off. Now if you simply did nothing else but copy what Rob has done, and adjust costs for different tonnages, you'd be just fine and could stop there. Of course, your ammo needs are likely also different, so make changes there as well. Then look at your mech's crit locations and equipment and see if there are any other bases you think you need to cover. You may also want to purchase the parts needed for upcoming desired customizations, if any.

After all purchasing is done, you add up what you spent and subtract from that total. Then you add another bonus to your remaining cash as follows:

Finally, each player force will have EITHER 20,000 CB in cash, OR 1 month's Wealth/Well-connected money in cash form.  This is given after you purchase your spare parts, and is intended so you have cash on-hand to pay salaries and maintenance costs.  Anything you don't spend on spare parts will also be added at this time.

For you, you'd get another 120k from Wealth and 10k from well-connected added to your total. That takes care of your personal warehouse and cash stuff.

Personnel

Review the available personnel and make a request in the appropriate thread, or request a tech from the spare techs we currently have on-hand, or do both. This is up to you, so you can also skip this part.

Customizing

You can't really start this until you know the timeline, and that won't be until after the contract is picked. How much time you have in transit will make a difference here, but it would still be good to maybe pick out a couple things you'd like to do, and play around with timberwolfd's spreadsheet to see what it might take.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:42:38 PM »

^^^ All of that.

Nice summary, Bryan.  Thanks.

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »

Thank you both Ill see what i can do from there and if anything more pops up ill post again
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »

Where is the 120k for wealth 6 coming from? In both MW3e and ATOW, wealth 6 is 100k.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:45:59 PM »

Where is the 120k for wealth 6 coming from? In both MW3e and ATOW, wealth 6 is 100k.

Campaign rules. 20k per point of wealth, 5k per point of well-connected.

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 05:35:21 PM »

Ok so as far as customizations at what point were we able to start modding if wanted may 1st I'm assuming? Main thing is I want to get those double Heatsink a in for some of the mechs due to heat concerns. Also when swapping single to double I'm assuming the integral Heatsinks on engine also need to be bought and swapped in which you would end up with a bunch of standards to sell?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:53:34 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »

Ok so as far as customizations at what point were we able to start modding if wanted may 1st I'm assuming? Main thing is I want to get those double Heatsink a in for some of the mechs due to heat concerns. Also when swapping single to double I'm assuming the integral Heatsinks on engine also need to be bought and swapped in which you would end up with a bunch of standards to sell?

You can start modifying starting on May 2nd, 3044.  The first game is on June 5, 3044.  If your modification can be accomplished in that time (using only 1 Tech, who is getting 480 minutes of work per day), then great, no problem.  If not, be aware that if you end up fighting on June 5, then you'll be fighting short a Mech.  All of this assumes that your planned refit can be accomplished without requiring a Factory facility - you'll want to check StratOps rules to determine that (I think replacing engine heat sink times is only a maintenance-level refit, thought).  If your refit requires a factory, then you're SOL, because the unit is not on a world with a factory.

Additionally, at the end of the modification time, your Tech makes a skill roll (you do get the maintenance facility bonus, though, for the DropShip gantry).  If it passes, great the customization works.  If it doesn't pass, the customization fails and the time is lost.  If the roll is a 2, the customization fails, the time is lost, AND you pick up a GM-assigned Negative Quirk.

Finally, if you don't already have the components required to do the customization, you need to acquire them.  Go make Scrounge rolls (see my acquisition thread in the Warehouse subforum for the template).  Things you order take 21 days to arrive, and the soonest you can try and order parts is June 1, 3044 (which means your customization can't even START until June 22, 3044).

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »

Well not having strat ops really blows right about now I had a idea in mind for customization for the enforcer as well as dhs for all the mechs and bought up a bunch of stuff for those already but wasnt sure how it would all work exactly so i may have bought to much or to little i mean 16 DHS is either going to be to many or not enough depending on how the conversion goes from standard to double regarding engines
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »

Well not having strat ops really blows right about now I had a idea in mind for customization for the enforcer as well as dhs for all the mechs and bought up a bunch of stuff for those already but wasnt sure how it would all work exactly so i may have bought to much or to little i mean 16 DHS is either going to be to many or not enough depending on how the conversion goes from standard to double regarding engines

With an AC/10, 4 jump, and large laser, 10 DHS is more than enough.

Let me put it this way, if you do the following refit, which is the SIMPLEST POSSIBLE swap for DHS:

-Swap 12 SHS for 10 DHS (1 DHS goes in each side torso)
-Add 2 tons of armor with the 2 tons you save

...then the total refit looks like this:

16,680 minutes of work is essentially 35 days (34.75).  If you start it immediately and use your Veteran Tech (so she's no longer available to help repair your other Mechs), your TN looks to be a 9+.  If you double the time, you get a -1 bonus (70 days), and if you add another 35-day increment (105 days), you'll get another -1 bonus.  So after 135 days you'll make a single, unEdge-able, pass/fail test on a 7+.

Swapping heat sink types takes a really long time.  It's something like 11,000 minutes by itself.

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 08:35:39 PM »

ouch that time just to have to make it still on 7+ would be nice to have an elite tech along that time to make it a 6+ at least but thats a lot of time maybe more worth it to get a salvaged mech refit it there while the other is occupied still and then sell the other with in the unit or to market. not sure if either are possible though
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:41:07 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »

i doubt it would be more worth it to strip the ac10 and ammo and add a ll with more hs and armor

if swapping the ac10 with its improved cooling jacket is that on the weapon or the mech? if it was mech would it transfer to a large laser put in its place?
Die Clanner!!!!

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:08:46 PM »

Okay.  Here it is.  PLEASE HELP!  I know I am behind.  [If your Dad was in the hospital with a major staph infection, you would be behind too.]

I have copied Rob's Warehouse Spreadsheet and allocated my starting funds {430,000+4[WL(3)+WC(2)]=710,000} to purchase beginning parts.  Do I have to make rolls to see if I get them?  One of the items is 20 HSx2.  Do I have enough time to try to install 10 in PXH-1?  I have the BMR.  It gives the target roll modifiers.  What is the base target?  With the veteran tech?  Where do I find it?  Yes, I know that TimberW has that nice spreadsheet.  I have not had a chance to see if it will work on my computer yet.  My brain does not work this fast anymore.

As far as Saturday goes, I will bring all of my V's.  My lance will be assembled but not uniformly painted to unit colors.  

And no, I have not downloaded Megamek or AiB yet.  That will be a while.

Yes, I am stressed out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:15:37 PM by Black Omega »
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »

I have copied Rob's Warehouse Spreadsheet and allocated my starting funds {430,000+4[WL(3)+WC(2)]=710,000} to purchase beginning parts.  Do I have to make rolls to see if I get them?

Your initial items have no roll associated with them.  Buy what you want.

One of the items is 20 HSx2.  Do I have enough time to try to install 10 in PXH-1?  I have the BMR.  It gives the target roll modifiers.  What is the base target?  With the veteran tech?  Where do I find it?  Yes, I know that TimberW has that nice spreadsheet.  I have not had a chance to see if it will work on my computer yet.

It is unlikely you want to replace them now.  It will be around 31 days to remove your SHS and put DHS in the mech.  At the end of the time, with the vet tech, you need to roll a 9+ to accomplish this, the roll is un-edgeable.  The only way to lower the number is to double/triple etc the time, and each of those is only a +1each doubling.  The customization rules are in stratops. 

However, you do technically have enough time if you want to make the roll, just be aware that failure means you have a disassembled mech for what is likely the duration of the entire contract.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »

Thanks, Mike.  Where did you get the 9+ target number from?
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33