CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Hat's Lance  (Read 3967 times)

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Hat's Lance
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2022, 05:55:39 PM »

Manor House, Outskirts of Ceres City
Capella
November 4, 3057

Kato read the message again, stunned and unmoving while Erin Mae looked at him with growing concern.  “Kato?”  His fingers twitched as if wanting to crumple the paper in his hand but he handed it to her instead.  He closed his eyes, seeking to bring his emotions under control while the giggles and squeals of the kids playing in the courtyard drifted in on the breeze.  “NO!”  His wife’s outburst reflecting his inner turmoil.  “That BASTARD!” she added with vehemence, though in quieter tones.

“Mother, father, Enji’s wife An, their two older children, Chu Hua’s husband Haoxuan.  All dead, along with more aunts, uncles and cousins than I’d care to count.”  He shook his head, shock faded to sorrow.  “Enji had been with his daughter who was ill.  Chu Hua out with the kids and thankfully found by family retainers before General Benton managed to massacre them too.”  He gritted his teeth thinking of the long time commander of the Sarna March Militia.  He considered taking the Rangers up to deal with him before discarding that as impractical and a failure of duty to the State.  Still he would go, if offered the chance.

Erin Mae had stopped reading, content to let Kato share.  “What will they do?”

“Enji plans on taking his daughter Hwei-ru to Terra to escape the madness.  His home has been destroyed twice in his lifetime, his family shattered on both occasions.  He fought to help get them off-world, but would not continue on.  I think his fighting days are done.  Chu Hua seeks to come here and bring the Yamamori Guards with her if I will have them.  They remember me and I can offer them a place.”

“Can you?” she asked, wrapping her arms around him.

He considered a moment then nodded.  “Most of my focus has been on rebuilding the Rangers 1st Regiment and establishing the 2nd over the past 3 years.  It’s kept my growing of the Mandarin guard to a minimum.  I expect enough individuals in the Yamamori Guard to not want to swear fealty or earn citizenship here to simply jump my permitted complement to full strength.  The fact that I led the Rangers in taking Phact, Wazun and Corey should have put at least most lingering questions about loyalties to bed.  If there would be too many I can have some be recruited by the Rangers or others moved at least for a time to Grandfather’s forces.  I’ll reach out to Captain Edward.  He should be able to help determine quickly if there are any additional concerns that need to be addressed.”

“Tomorrow,” Erin Mae told him firmly.

Kato looked ready to protest, but that faded quickly as the magnitude of his loss hit him once again.  “Tomorrow,” he confirmed softly.  They lapsed into silence and remained that way as shadows lengthened, their vigil disturbed only by the normal sounds of the household and the innocent cries and laughter of their children.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 10:34:27 PM by Hat »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]