CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The NEXT Cincy BattleTech campaign...  (Read 19077 times)

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The NEXT Cincy BattleTech campaign...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »

So I've figured out my idea for a campaign, and its nothing that I suggested before.  Shocking, I know.  It sounded like there was interest in a dark age campaign. 
The idea is the PCs are the 1st Allied Periphery Combat Group based out of the Periphery March of the rapidly failing Federated Suns in September, 3145.

The unit is a reinforced company of volunteers from Periphery March units, elements of Fitvelt Coalition's Thumper Assault Regiment, and the unruly mob of semi skilled Filtvelt Coalition citizen-soldiers.  The reasoning behind the creation of this unit is the recent reclamation of a derelict Word of Blake Magellan JumpShip found in orbit of Cohagen.  Brought back to Panpour, refitted and rechristened the FSS Gorkha, it was reasoned that its mobility but limited carrying capacity would make for a solid raiding vessel against the Drac and Capellan incursions.

I'm still sorting out how all of the game mechanics would work.  I want to run with the idea of allowing X tonnage for 2 mechs/vees (including tanks, wige and vtol, excluding ASF) per player.  I have not yet figured out limits on the units yet.  It makes sense that even some clantech has filtered down to the periphery after a century, but there should be significant room to improve from the backwater gear you start with.

This will be run using a chaos campaign type warchest system, most likely with a tweaked experience for pilot advancement.  I am not planning to use the ATOW system that we are using now, instead using the standard skill system.

Thats enough rambling for the moment.  Thoughts?

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »

Will there be something to allow for PC's to control ASF's?

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »

Possibly as part of allied forces.  I wasn't going to have them be part of the PC forces for a few reasons:
1 ASF usually need to be decopuled from the main game due to turn length it seems.
2 I don't know how to fly the things well at all and I don't want regular PC fighters if I cannot guarentee decent opfor fighters.

I suppose theres several months to figure out the second and I'm open to suggestions on the first, but I think keeping it ground centric might be a bit easier.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »

Apocalypse Rising is going to shut down, probably around the very end of 2013 or the very beginning of 2014.  Given that, I figure it's time to start discussion what we'd like to replace it with (partially so that, when many of our players go to conventions over the summer, they will have the opportunity to purchase things that may be needed for the campaign: decals, minis, mapsets, and so forth).

Hey guys, is anyone going to Origins?  Would they be able to pick up a copy of "Operation: Klondike" for me?
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 02:08:10 PM »

Almost posted this in Travis' thread, but then decided this was the better place for it....

Have we even decided yet whose playing in which of the 2 campaigns?  I thought Steve was still planning to run one as well and we'd be alternating months.

Good point, I was all set to start picking out my units as well, but Rob has suggested we split up the player-base into 2 campaigns, and each person is only actively participating in one and playing OpFor in the other. Based on the other thread, the following people have thrown their collective hats into the ring:

• John: Mentioned that he'd make it to every other session. Willing to run anything, and suggested Jihad Chaos Campaign or ER3050 chaos campaign. Went on to mention possibility of Republic-era/Dark Age campaign, something with a little less in the way of published products.
  • Steve: Mentioned possibility of continuing AR campaign in some capacity.
  • Me: I did volunteer, without any specific proposals as far as timeline. I can tell you that I'd be looking to one of the published chaos tracks, but mixing things up so there'd be surprises.

I think I'll pull my name back out of the hat. With all I've got going on, it's been hard enough sometimes just to support the group properly.

John and Steve:                          FIGHT!!

As far as what I'd like to play: Klondike, Jihad (with PC's as Manei Domini), Republic or Dark Age era (probably leaning more towards Dark Age since there's so little canon material).

I'd like to throw this out there as well, we should consider playing one of these campaigns as Alpha Strike. CGL seems to think that this path is something that can make the company much more profitable. I suppose it's something to appeal to those masses of miniatures players that like to throw 50-100 miniatures on the table and see them all either win or die within a couple hours, in addition to using pretty tabletop terrain. Since this book will be out at GenCon most likely, we could play-test the heck out of it. I would imagine that a table with a large group of miniatures on it, using actual terrain, would draw a LOT of attention in the store as well (possibly leading to more players). Heck, maybe we'd even get some play-testing credits in the Alpha Strike Supplemental, were one ever made.  :D  Just a thought.

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »

• John: Mentioned that he'd make it to every other session. Willing to run anything, and suggested Jihad Chaos Campaign or ER3050 chaos campaign. Went on to mention possibility of Republic-era/Dark Age campaign, something with a little less in the way of published products.

I'm not going to be running anything.  I think the two campaigns are going to be Travis's Dark Age Periphery March campaign and Steve's Operation Klondike campaign.  Of the two campaigns, I'm more interested in Travis's campaign because I'm kind of tired of my Apocalypse Rising PC and because I did an Operation Klondike campaign with some friends up in Columbus last year.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:28:43 PM by Death or Glory »

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »

I am going to run the Klondike campaign.  [Well, I'll give it my best shot.]  Travis is getting me a copy of OpKlon.

I will shortly have Travis Load up the forum and set the rules.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:47:02 PM by Black Omega »
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »

Ah sorry, that's what I get for missing a game.

How are participants for each campaign going to be determined?

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »

I'm not sure if we've selected a method for determining who's in which group.  I'm not sure people will be in a good position to decide until Steve provides some sense for what his game would be like.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »

I was all for the continuing with pentagon worlds and so on but would like to play test the giant scale battles play test cred would be cool
Die Clanner!!!!

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »

I believe playtesting has ended and the book is being finalized as I type. Supposed to be out at Gencon, at least that is the plan.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »

I believe playtesting has ended and the book is being finalized as I type. Supposed to be out at Gencon, at least that is the plan.

Playtesting is complete, yes.  The Demo Team was allowed to playtest it for about 3 weeks...but couldn't share the rules with anyone not under an NDA, so I couldn't run a game with it because of that.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »

Ok, with Steve having posted his initial description, I will state my preference for the Into Darkness campaign.  I'd like to see what happens with Yamamori assuming he survives the assault on Terra.

I can do either campaign though.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »

would still like to continue with my character and the story. As for the play testing is there anything else in the near future we can help with?
Die Clanner!!!!

Juniantara

• What do you mean my PC died again?
  • Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »

Due to my erratic availability, I would like to permanently NPC for the next round of games. I'm also not sure anyone would want a force I built on their side considering my hate for PPCs and lack of Mech identification skills...  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3