CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: House Rules Discussion  (Read 1972 times)

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
House Rules Discussion
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »

Kindly place discussion of house rules into this thread.  New house rule ideas would also go here.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: House Rules Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »

I'd like to get a consensus.  Do you as the players wish to use the RAW critical success/failure mechanic?

Per 7.1.6 you would roll a d20 with the first attempt to use a skill, a 1 denotes a critical failure while a 20 denotes a critical success.  Effectively you have a 10% chance of either occurring per roll, combat crits go on a specific chart from 7.10.5.

Otherwise, if you want a critical success mechanic how would you like it to be set mechanics wise?

Juniantara

• What do you mean my PC died again?
  • Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:36:24 PM »

I would go with all ones a critical failure and all the top number on the dice a critical success - I like for them to be fairly rare so they feel really epic. With rare ones like that though, critical successes and failures should be epic when they do occur.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:07:17 AM »

I absolutely do NOT want to use the RAW Critical mechanic - a flat 5% either way is idiotic.  I just don't know what else to use, though; Brett's suggestion mathematically reduces the odds of critical successes the more dice you devote to something, which is counterintuitive at best.  We're already rolling so many dice, I don't really want to roll any more.

Could we just add a "hero point" system that allows us to choose to spend an extra d8 (or so) on a roll.  If you succeed on the roll, and one of your normal dice matches the result of the d8, it's a critical success.  If you fail the roll, and one of your normal dice matches the result of the d8, it's a critical failure (ALTERNATE: if the d8 comes up a 1 and you fail the roll, it's a critical failure).  This puts the risk in the player's hand; you don't HAVE to expose yourself to the risk of a CritFail be simply not spending the "Hero Point"...but you have the potential to get the critical success with the roll by assuming that risk.  Say, 1 Hero Point per every 5 full points of Physis, refreshing by 1 point at the top of each session, totally refreshing between adventures, and limited refreshing when the GM feels like awarding it for doing cool stuff?

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »

Hero point mechanic is in play. I'll update the house rules thread from home, not even trying from my phone.

Hero Points are added 1 for every 250 total CDP. You can add a d8 to your roll at player discretion. This is a PC only attribute, it's part of what makes the PCs special. A result of 1 on the Hero Point die is a critical failure, while a result of 8 is a critical success. Points refresh at a rate of 1 per session, total refresh between scenarios and when thematically appropriate.

As in SR you may also permanantly burn points for Hand of God.