CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Calling Volunteers for Leadership!  (Read 245 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Calling Volunteers for Leadership!
« on: June 26, 2022, 05:46:51 PM »

The new unit needs a commander before your brave, selfless, and not-at-all overworked GM can actually do all of the important unit generation stuff.  So here's how we're going to handle this.  I need a player to volunteer for the Unit CO position.  Your PC *WILL* be the Unit CO, until you step down or die.  We will generate your PC knowing ahead of time that you'll be the CO.  Even if someone else has better stats than you, you'll be the CO. 

There will, 100%, be a safety value here, in the form of me.  I will not allow for a totally hapless character to go into the position, so no, you guys won't be under the command of a blind, cowardly, penniless, deaf, quadriplegic with TDS and a Tactics score of -2.  What I value more than stats is the desire for someone to step up and actually do the job.  As a reminder, Unit CO does earn annual bonus XP to spend on Command Skills, so you won't have to totally tank your on-table performance to run the unit.

Speaking of running the unit, the size and scope of the unit has been scaled down significantly.  In particular, there are no more than 12 Combat Vehicles, 6 Support Vees (the latter of which now include artillery), and 6 ASF, total, so the Unit CO is not going to get swamped by Unit upkeep.  Particularly because the Company Commanders - not the Unit CO - will be responsible for day-today repair rolls on the Vees which are assigned to them.  The thing I will be asking is for the Unit CO to set up a live Google Doc TO&E that people can update, instead of the Unit CO having an offline *.xlsx file they have to update and upload manually.

So, before we start and before I post up the rules doc, do I have any volunteers to step up?  I know that at least 3 people who weren't Hat (who is not in the running, incidentally) had expressed interest in Unit Leadership roles.  Now's your chance.

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Volunteers for Leadership!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 05:48:41 PM »

I am pretty much the only person with all the time in the world. May as well be me. However, I have never really used googles excel services so will need a bit of help with that.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 06:08:57 PM »

Happy to share learnings and mentor, but as Rob mentioned, I’m not doing unit CO for the new campaign.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 06:34:40 PM »

Deadly gets my vote, he stays on top of unit minutiae already, which would seem to be a prerequisite.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 06:34:54 PM »

I am pretty much the only person with all the time in the world. May as well be me. However, I have never really used googles excel services so will need a bit of help with that.

Noted. You're in the hat.  Although hopefully not in Hat. Though I guess it's 2022 so that's not my place to judge.

Anyway, I'll give this a day or so and then if nobody else has chimed in, you're it.  I'll do another sample character first, because some stuff has changed about character creation (and PCs from places which aren't the FS, LC, or CapCon are now actually mechanically VIABLE now, even without getting the 2d10 lifepath rolls, amazingly enough).  once that's done, you and I will generate you a CO, and then I'll open the floodgates.

I'm still unsure whether we're going to do everyone's character creation on the 23rd, or if we can turn things around fast enough to actually have a contract/scenario by then.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 07:13:02 PM »

I'm still unsure whether we're going to do everyone's character creation on the 23rd, or if we can turn things around fast enough to actually have a contract/scenario by then.

23rd is a long way off, let's go! :)

Seriously though, it's a lot of hard work, so if more time is needed, so be it.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 07:33:59 PM »

I'm ok with Deadly.
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 07:46:34 PM »

Deadly has multiple votes already and well he really is the only one who currently has time. Ive had a dog try to burn my house down, my large tree fall in my yard, a 50th bday to plan, multiple family drama issues up to not including possibly needing to wonder if a family member will turn up missing due to her ex husband, and now a gas main leak in the house with a current unknown cost and fix date as of yet.....As much as I would potentially want it at some point if my character is happy enough to be inclined for it as in skills rolls lean toward it and not screw me otherwise it is not viable.
Die Clanner!!!!

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 08:09:10 PM »

I feel Deadly would make a fine commander.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 08:18:30 PM »

The 2 biggest criterias for me are 1) wanting the job and 2) having the time to do it.  With the folks in this group as long as whoever's interested can honestly say they meet both 1 and 2, I'm good.  There will be a learning curve for whoever does it.  For those of us who won't be the CO, please have patience with whoever it is and support them.