CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 2431 times)

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2023, 09:52:54 AM »

Also now draws in another question for the attributes on wingman and buying SPA. The human tro spa says int 6 and as we were doing before if purchasing a spa it would assume it met criteria on wingman. Now the question comes under the same section he refers to for the pilot hits. Is it specifying the bod str have 5s or all attributes are 5s? I assume its the str bod since it was referenced toward the section but I am either blind or we don't have anything specifically one way or other and I am almost certainly over thinking it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 10:09:32 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2023, 09:55:19 AM »

Replacement of lost infantry/BA personnel rules as well please.

Can unit purchase copperhead artillery rounds?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 09:54:25 AM by deadlyfire2345 »

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2023, 09:34:06 AM »

Another question on omni pods. Is it a viable option to buy a refit kit to pod config to another pod config? Also once the podded items are equipped the pods themselves are just pods so as long as the pods hit the mech they can be parted put afterward I assume as any other pods? If these apply what penalty would it be for mixed tech pod configs that are cannon.... 3059 is an odd year and sunder has a mixed tech pod config...

Edit - bulldog config so I see this being a no until at least aug or after bulldog finishes

« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 09:47:03 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2023, 01:37:25 PM »

Another question on omni pods. Is it a viable option to buy a refit kit to pod config to another pod config? Also once the podded items are equipped the pods themselves are just pods so as long as the pods hit the mech they can be parted put afterward I assume as any other pods? If these apply what penalty would it be for mixed tech pod configs that are cannon.... 3059 is an odd year and sunder has a mixed tech pod config...

Edit - bulldog config so I see this being a no until at least aug or after bulldog finishes

I can actually answer this.  There are no refit kits for pods because you are not changing variants.

When you have clantech pods on an IS Omni and vice versa. There is no penalty for mixed tech base.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2023, 01:48:53 PM »

I can actually answer this.  There are no refit kits for pods because you are not changing variants.

When you have clantech pods on an IS Omni and vice versa. There is no penalty for mixed tech base.
So there is no actual omni pod kit even though they have standardized alt omni configs

Seems silly considering they have refit kits for entire battlemech chassis reworks to endo but not simple pod packages for omni
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 02:02:50 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2023, 03:16:25 PM »

<snip>
 So there is no actual omni pod kit even though they have standardized alt omni configs

Seems silly considering they have refit kits for entire battlemech chassis reworks to endo but not simple pod packages for omni

Clans don't need kits for omnis, they just warehouse bunches of podded equipment and the warrior has them load up whatever config he wants.  They don't even pilot the same mech every time, though based on what I recall of the books they often tend towards the same chassis and styles.

Battlemech refit kits canonically were the IS' response to suddenly having an opponent with vastly superior technology show up on their doorstep.  They couldn't wait for brand new mechs to roll off the assembly line, they needed upgraded equipment, now.  And so the manufacturers bundled parts and instructions to convert existing L1 typically 3025 era mechs to L2 tech.  For simplicity Rob's extended the concept between standard configs as a way to make things easier.  Especially as mech customization in the books is rare and for the game, it's normal.  But because it's a game we're also given a limited set of "standard" configs, though that can also be viewed as simplifying logistics.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2023, 04:39:28 PM »

<snip>

Clans don't need kits for omnis, they just warehouse bunches of podded equipment and the warrior has them load up whatever config he wants.  They don't even pilot the same mech every time, though based on what I recall of the books they often tend towards the same chassis and styles.

Battlemech refit kits canonically were the IS' response to suddenly having an opponent with vastly superior technology show up on their doorstep.  They couldn't wait for brand new mechs to roll off the assembly line, they needed upgraded equipment, now.  And so the manufacturers bundled parts and instructions to convert existing L1 typically 3025 era mechs to L2 tech.  For simplicity Rob's extended the concept between standard configs as a way to make things easier.  Especially as mech customization in the books is rare and for the game, it's normal.  But because it's a game we're also given a limited set of "standard" configs, though that can also be viewed as simplifying logistics.

That still plays into the IS Omni. IS Omni are not all that great in most cases and hell even the sunder says it can go toe to toe but we know it was still somewhat underwhelming due to range and survival. I guess the large pod stores of clans makes sense and I guess goes the same for house units that would be the typical holders of an omni not a merc unit.

The main thing being its silly for that not to have been a thought considering refit kits were thought of. Yes pods are easy and fast to swap but would you not think as a quartermaster or salesman at the least that there might be a 1 stop shop? Especially considering the fact there is a wide enough known alt config list. Like hey maybe we can package pod these to direct swap into that config vs part out and order the entire config.  Then in those instances charge a small surplus for convenience to merc units that do have an omni or less part stores. Logistics at our level I guess it's more things to think of than the universe and house units/clans at large operate. They just order 100 podded ML at a time I guess.
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2023, 08:15:32 AM »

Replacement of lost infantry/BA personnel rules as well please.

Posted in the Rules Thread.

Can unit purchase copperhead artillery rounds?

Yeah, those are already covered under the normal BSP artillery rules in the BMM, and they have an intro date of something like 3052, so they're fine.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2023, 11:42:20 AM »

Rob the ATB eject for aerospace is something simply programmed in as a non optional rule. For now my deduction is its just simply coded in intentionally to fix issues, as a misunderstanding of core rules, or a bug. Apparently the CT core of a mech prompts an eject per megamek discord group admin as does the fighter destruction. It's not part of the skin of teeth ejection optional rule which I originally thought. That would most likely per my guess still apply the same way as far as fighter destruction prompting an eject. I have a feeling they baked it into it due to some issue regarding ejections causing crashes or additional bugs. Per the discord group to fix the behavior disable the auto eject in lobby. With that statement logic is its a bug/deliberately input and not part of the core rules. I've scoured tw tac ops strat ops aerotech 1 2 plus errata. I have an additional message pending with one of the dev group asking to clarify. Will post additional information if I get it.

Edit

TW 81 128 both are very specific in crashes or instances of IS destruction the crew are killed if unit is outright destroyed. This just reinforces this is coding error intentionally or otherwise and optional rule for skin of teeth would be the workaround.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 01:56:21 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2023, 08:52:31 AM »

Found something silly and contradictory in the repair table and rules. The single crit item once hit should be fully destroyed as far as my understanding but the repair table shows single crit items as +2 to try and repair. I assume we are not using that from the repair table or have we all been missing something this whole time?
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2023, 07:58:58 PM »

Found something silly and contradictory in the repair table and rules. The single crit item once hit should be fully destroyed as far as my understanding but the repair table shows single crit items as +2 to try and repair. I assume we are not using that from the repair table or have we all been missing something this whole time?

Functionally a copy-paste error.  Pay it no mind.

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2023, 09:53:49 PM »

Regarding omni mechs and repairs, do I have to replace all parts that were lost or are we able to just refit it to replace lost tonnage of destroyed pods?

2nd, could we get TNs for BA armor(s)?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 12:57:14 PM by deadlyfire2345 »

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2023, 07:59:53 PM »

Reinforcement lance arrival time question.

Per campaign rules, if a lance has CO strat of 3, all jumping and 3 mechs with min walk of 6 and a PHawk LAM, what movement does LAM use for determining correct arrival time?  Is it the base mech mode of 5/8/5? Or if in air mech mode cruise 15?  Or air mech mode walk of 2?  Which mech would have the lowest walk movement?
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2023, 08:00:23 AM »

Reinforcement lance arrival time question.

Per campaign rules, if a lance has CO strat of 3, all jumping and 3 mechs with min walk of 6 and a PHawk LAM, what movement does LAM use for determining correct arrival time?  Is it the base mech mode of 5/8/5? Or if in air mech mode cruise 15?  Or air mech mode walk of 2?  Which mech would have the lowest walk movement?

AirMech Cruise, unless an environmental condition would prevent the use of AirMech mode entirely, in which case you'd use Mech mode.  3 Phoenix Hawks and a Pixie LAM would have "6 hexes" as the slowest speed in the lance in 99% of cases.

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2023, 09:57:54 AM »

Since this question will apply to my lance at this time. How would we play improved targeting quirks with C3 range bands?
Example, the Albatross has improved targeting (long) which fires at a target that my Orion is close enough for its short range bracket while within Albatrosses long range bracket. Would improved targeting in this case apply.
2nd example, the Buccaneer has improved targeting (short) with the same scenario as Albatross. would IT short apply, even at long range.

My guess is the quirk would still apply based on the bracket its treated as, but wanted some clarification given equipment is not explained with certain quirks.
Sandblaster would be my 2nd question regarding these scenarios as well.

Found the answer:
The ’Mech has advanced targeting capabilities in one range
bracket. The quirk can be applied up to three times, but can be
taken only once per range bracket. The cost of the quirk varies with
the range bracket chosen. All ranged attack Target Numbers at the
selected range bracket receive a –1 modifier.

Based on the range bracket of the weapon and not the To-Hit modifiers applied from other sources. Sandblaster would be the same. Never mind, but will keep it up for others who many have it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 01:57:01 PM by deadlyfire2345 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5