CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 2370 times)

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2023, 01:52:51 PM »

Hat has made a request to convert the condors to the Fusion variant. I found what I need and the cost, but unfortunately MML and MHQ do not have a file for the hover. Given that it is a canon variant, can I still convert them and just make a proper notation in MHQ about their designation.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2023, 04:14:00 PM »

As long as it's a canon variant with a legal record sheets, yeah, that's fine.  I'll make sure that AtB sees the modified Condors as Level 2 units for purposes of Dragoon Rating.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2023, 11:22:10 AM »

Ok, I've finally got 5 pilots, so can start working on getting my Battlemaster team together.  The requirement specified is as follows:

-You have to set up a Pilot/Gunner as a dedicated team (requires fighting in 2 scenarios and a cost of 10 XP per person).  Until that team is established, none of the above bonuses apply and both the pilot and gunner suffer a +1 penalty to their skill ratings (3 gunner becomes a 4). Swapping in a new Pilot or Gunner requires the same procedure as setting up the team in the first place.

Questions:
1. For the pair of mechwarriors each of whom have to spend 10XP to get this set up, is it pay once and either can be pilot or gunner with the other taking the off-role or would that be 20XP each?  I would think 10 as it only works with a particular partner, and the whole process needs to be started over with anyone else making it lost XP if one of the mechwarriors retires or dies.
2. When switching between roles (after spending 10 or 20 XP each), is it an end phase declaration?
3. The PC has Fast Learner, is it still 10 or does that make it 8?

From a handling the mech perspective, both cockpit spots can do both as confirmed by:

-If the Pilot or Gunner is incapacitated, use the G/P skills of the non-incapacitated team member.  All of the above bonuses are lost until that team member is no longer incapacitated.

The only way that works is if both spots have a full set of controls, which makes sense.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 08:08:11 PM by Hat »

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2023, 08:23:24 AM »

In addition to the DC questions in the post above, am I correct in understanding the following about personnel cap and lance management?

1. personnel may be released at any time and the appropriate payouts in cash/equipment made.
2. lances may effectively temporarily exceed their leadership derived personnel cap such as by picking someone up in the marketplace or attempting to recruit a prisoner, provided that if successful they immediately release enough personnel to be within their cap.

This is the way things are functioning, but not the way I understood it, so wanted to confirm.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2023, 01:41:23 PM »

Couple topics for the ecm potential changes.

I know we have ecm which has multiple functions

IE - ECCM/Ghost images

I am not sure if we have ever decided to allow ECCM.

I would assume we wont be using it but the question also comes if we are does it represent the same issues to c3? I would assume so by nature of what it is but figured worth asking.

Next more important questions are with the potential changes to ecm affecting even friendly units. If any ecm affects friendly units I would assume that would not only hit the c3 but Artemis systems as well. May end up as more of an issue than solving one if they go that route.

The next issue is units with c3 cant mount ecm period unless there is a rule it can be shut off. If there isn't I would imagine it would be a good idea to add it as a movement phase declaration. It would serve dual purpose of identifying ecm units for all players and then help identify ecm bubble activation or deactivation to figure ecm effects.

If they make the change I also would say the ecm bv penalty should be halved for units that mount c3 as long as the ecm can be turned off. If not well there won't be ecm on the unit.

Die Clanner!!!!

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2023, 05:46:28 PM »

A similar question along a much different focus. Once TacOps split into two there was a heirachery of equipment established, where at the bottom is Gardian ECM, which is defeated in complete by Bloodhound active probe, which in tern Angel ECM defeats (bloodhound) except in odd splitting situations. However, the rules do not specify if this contest is on a per hex basis, or if the Bloodhound has to be in range of the unit carrying the Guardian itself. Here is rule from tac ops:

The Bloodhound Probe is an upgraded version of the Inner Sphere’s Beagle Active Probe and follows the same rules as that device (see p.
129, TW). In addition to boasting increased range, the Bloodhound can detect hidden units with stealth or sneak ability, including Battle Armor units with
Stealth Armor, Mimetic Armor and ECM, as well as other units featuring ECM, Null-Signature Systems or Stealth Armor. Unless the unit’s ECM rules state
otherwise, or the unit is conventional infantry using ECM or stealth systems, the Bloodhound will detect it. Note that a unit with active stealth armor cannot
use a Bloodhound Probe.
Units with multiple active probes (of any type) may use only one at a time in game play. (These systems can be activated, deactivated or switched
over during the End Phase of any turn.) Fighters, Small Craft, DropShips and other airborne units may only use active probes when interacting with
ground units, or in accordance with the advanced rules for aerospace combat covered in Strategic Operations

So is this contest on a per hex basis, or does the bloodhound have to overlap the actual unit to cancel out ECM effects?

(Context, I got a Bloodhound in my experimental tech package)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2023, 10:06:54 AM »

1. For the pair of mechwarriors each of whom have to spend 10XP to get this set up, is it pay once and either can be pilot or gunner with the other taking the off-role or would that be 20XP each?  I would think 10 as it only works with a particular partner, and the whole process needs to be started over with anyone else making it lost XP if one of the mechwarriors retires or dies.

Yes, it's 10 each, and either can be the pilot or the gunner.

2. When switching between roles (after spending 10 or 20 XP each), is it an end phase declaration?

Should be, yes.

3. The PC has Fast Learner, is it still 10 or does that make it 8?

8 XP, that's a good point.

-If the Pilot or Gunner is incapacitated, use the G/P skills of the non-incapacitated team member.  All of the above bonuses are lost until that team member is no longer incapacitated.

That is functionally correct.  A Command Console does have full controls in both seats, so if one member is incapacitated, the other pilots the Mech exactly as though they were the sole pilot.

1. personnel may be released at any time and the appropriate payouts in cash/equipment made.
2. lances may effectively temporarily exceed their leadership derived personnel cap such as by picking someone up in the marketplace or attempting to recruit a prisoner, provided that if successful they immediately release enough personnel to be within their cap.

A provisional Yes to the first, and unqualified Yes to the second.  Lance Leaders, specifically, have a limitation on their retirement/release from service.  See "Retirement" in the HM, WT rules.

I am not sure if we have ever decided to allow ECCM.

We are not using ECCM or ghost targets at this time.

Next more important questions are with the potential changes to ecm affecting even friendly units. If any ecm affects friendly units I would assume that would not only hit the c3 but Artemis systems as well. May end up as more of an issue than solving one if they go that route.

Unless and until an errata is released stating that ECM will affect friendly units, we will continue to operate things as stated in the TW/HM,WT rules.  I'll worry about changes when/if they happen.

So is this contest on a per hex basis, or does the bloodhound have to overlap the actual unit to cancel out ECM effects?

I'm unsure what you're asking here.  I mean, yes, I understand the electronic warfare hierarchy bit, that's fine.  But I'm unsure of the practical effect of your question.  The Bloodhound can "see" ANY unit unprotected by an Angel ECM out to a range of 8 hexes.  So if Unit A has a BAP, and Unit Z has a Guardian ECM is 6 hexes away from Unit A.  Unit A can "see" everything within 8 hexes of it as though the ECM Suite wasn't there, so Unit Z would not benefit from its Guardian ECM.  However, if Unit Z was ALSO within 4 hexes of  Unit B (Unit A's ally), which is part of a C3 net, Unit Z would still cut unit B off from the C3 net because it's inside Unit Z's ECM bubble.  The BAP doesn't shut down the effect of the ECM; it only allows the unit mounting the probe to "see" through the bubble as though the bubble wasn't there.

Does that sufficiently answer your question?  I suspect this is a question which needs a quick mapsheet layout to fully grok.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2023, 05:59:10 PM »

3d printed Mechs that are accurate relative to the 30m size of the hex.  That is, they are printed in map scale, not Mech scale.  This is how much room your Mech actually takes up inside the hex.  For the sake of reference:

Mech on the right should be ignored; it's a different scale test.

ADHDtv

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2023, 07:24:08 PM »

For a command console, does it need to be on the mech of the local CO to gain advantage similar to how command mech quirk does or can anyone mounting it on that side apply the +2 init bonus as long as a mechwarrior is performing command console duties?
Also can mechwarriors operate the command and control functions of a mech outside of their weight class? if so what penalties would be applied to them in the circumstance that the primary pilot is incapacitated and they are left to pilot the mech using the second set of controls?
And do mechwarriors operating the command and control functions of a battlemech with a Command Console get XP when their counterpart primary pilot gets a kill?
Also for communications equipment, does the command console count as being any amount of comm equipment? as a standard battlemech cockpit counts as having one ton of communication equipment for determining comm equip capabilities.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2023, 11:17:43 PM »

For a command console, does it need to be on the mech of the local CO to gain advantage similar to how command mech quirk does or can anyone mounting it on that side apply the +2 init bonus as long as a mechwarrior is performing command console duties?

Yes, it would have to be mounted on the local CO. No other unit can contribute init bonuses, in the same way that you don't get the "Command Mech" quirk bonus to initiative when you have a non-CO piloting a Marauder.

Also can mechwarriors operate the command and control functions of a mech outside of their weight class? if so what penalties would be applied to them in the circumstance that the primary pilot is incapacitated and they are left to pilot the mech using the second set of controls? 

The person manning the command console can use the console in any weight class, but if they were to pilot/gun the Mech they'd have to have the weight classification.  That's the big fluff difference between CCs and DCs: in the former, the two pilots can drive the Mech sequentially, while in the former, they can drive the Mech simultaneously.

And do mechwarriors operating the command and control functions of a battlemech with a Command Console get XP when their counterpart primary pilot gets a kill? 

You know what? That feels fair, since both people with a dual cockpit get XP.  Sure. 

Also for communications equipment, does the command console count as being any amount of comm equipment? as a standard battlemech cockpit counts as having one ton of communication equipment for determining comm equip capabilities.

A Command Console is functionally the same as mounting 7 tons of Communications equipment.  This provides 2 benefits that we care about in this campaign:
1) +2 to initiative
2) Counts as a Guardian ECM system
3*) If we ever have a scenario where it matters, Command Consoles can perform satellite uplink and ECCM duty for purposes of completing objectives.

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2023, 04:45:20 AM »

Would CC kills be considered still mech kills or generic kill xp at that point for ace qualifications
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2023, 05:43:49 PM »

Would CC kills be considered still mech kills or generic kill xp at that point for ace qualifications

Generic Kill XP.

Good try.

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2023, 05:55:15 PM »

Generic Kill XP.

Good try.

More confirmation and clarification
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2023, 08:55:55 PM »

Yeah, I figured. But I don't feel like allowing Command Consoles to turn into Ace pilot factories.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]