CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Unit Founding - Numenorean Rangers, 2nd Regiment  (Read 73 times)

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Unit Founding - Numenorean Rangers, 2nd Regiment
« on: July 22, 2022, 08:40:29 PM »

Notes
1. This is a working draft.  I wanted to put up something in time for the first game and unfortunately things have been hectic.
2. Feedback welcome and I know this will get reworked and more intervening history will be created at some point and likely added in the other thread.

DRAFT
Galatea – Late March, 3057

The men and women signing up to become founding members of the Numenorean Rangers, 2nd Regiment found themselves on Galatea.  Each of them recruited on the recommendation of someone in the Rangers already.  They were to join others on Outreach who’d been either invited or recruited there over the last month.  The ones on Galatea had been collected at several transport stops at the Rangers expense.  Scheduled to arrive on Outreach in late April, their dropship suffered damage in the jump to Galatea, complicating a fairly tight schedule.  Unsafe for another jump before inspection and repair, the dropship was directed to what had once been the hub of all mercenary hiring.  Only four jumps and less than a month’s travel from Outreach it was quickly clear that getting them all there on time would be at best expensive if even possible, given the amount of equipment being hauled.  After a few quick exchanges by HPG it was decided that the Rangers would come to them rather than the other way around.  They just had to sit tight for a month in what had become the home for the dispossessed, the unsavory and the desperate.

Galatea – Late April, 3057
Bridge of the Indomitable Will, Excalibur class dropship

Kato glanced out the viewing port as the dropship ran through post landing checklists.  It was clear that the once prosperous Galaport had seen better days.  With the rise of Outreach as the primary hiring hall, Galatea had declined significantly and the clientele it now catered to would not be welcome with their ranks.  Still, as the last of the individuals he recruited had been stuck here he wasn’t about to leave them stranded.  The prices quoted for providing transport were obnoxious at least those being provided by reputable traders and so rather than bring them to Outreach, he brought them together here.  He hoped it wasn’t an ill omen.

The nuke at the end of their contract in the Aurigan Coalition territory had been a low point for the Rangers.  They hadn’t lost so many at one time since the base defense on the ANGEL contract back in February of ’53.  There, people at least knew the risks.  Fjaldr was different.  WMDs shouldn’t have a part in any of this.  Damn bunch of fanatics.

Returning to Capella to regroup and rebuild they were offered a lucrative contract by his grandfather for the Rangers to stay and provide garrison and training support.  Other responsibilities to be negotiated separately.  As an elite unit, they’d bolster the existing local forces.  His personal forces as Manadarin were not up to strength or par and his grandfather’s while in better shape could certainly take advantage of it.  The contract also included provisions to serve as an adjunct to the Capellan War College at least for field exercises, with other duties or training to be negotiated separately. 

The contract stipulated growing the Rangers to a full or reinforced regiment in strength.  Local manufacturing would be available to provide materiel at discounted rates to assist, with the academy available as a source of additional manpower if desired.  The initial contract term was five years.  In compensation the unit would be given enough money to cover the expenses of adding the necessary equipment and support and salary costs as the unit expanded.  Within the first year after fully recovering and making good progress on growing the unit, the Rangers were given a short term contract.  In exchange, they’d be able to trade in their Triumph for a brand new  Excalibur to be delivered very early 3057 with the ability to customize the bay designs from the ground up.  The unit jumped at the chance.

In mid 3056 the Rangers went pirate hunting Rimward and not only crushed the pirates but managed to capture an Overlord dropship and a derelict Invader-class Jumpship.  It needed significant work, but with Rashpur-Owens shipyards, it would be refurbished well.  While the pirates lacked the parts and expertise to fix the jumpship, the Rangers were certainly able to bring in the people they needed.  With the two Overlords and the recently arrived Excalibur, the unit had all of the transport it needed for it’s first regiment.  Now they had an opportunity to expand further.

Hence the Rangers 2nd Regiment was born.  They had invited recommendations from existing personnel as well as offering a recruitment bonus.  Existing members were given the opportunity to help form the new force and almost 50 answered the call.

“Colonel?” Kato’s musings were interrupted by Major Cherikov.  “We’ll hit atmo in less than 5.  The captain is asking us to strap in.”  Kato nodded.  With the rapid expansion of the Rangers to two full battalions of mechs, plus Kato’s command company and the mech company in the combined arms battalion, there had been plenty of opportunity to promote and evaluate the other commanders.  “Thank you, Major.”

May 1, 3057
Staging grounds outside of Galaport

Colonel Atayde regarded the assembled forces.  In all there were roughly two short battalions.  It was a solid start, especially with the transportation available.

“Good morning.  My name is Colonel Kato Atayde.  I am the commanding officer of the Numenorean Rangers and I welcome you here today.  While we are not exactly where I wanted this journey to begin, we are beginning it with exactly who I wanted and that’s you.  Each of you came highly recommended by an existing member of the Rangers.  We had more recommendations than we had spots to fill.  You represent those chosen.  As of today, each of you are a Ranger.  Serve with honor and earn the respect of your fellows and those you face across the field.  First regiment is on a long term contract and so your unit will function as a mostly independent command.  I have faith in you and in your new C.O.  Let me introduce Colonel Yuan Guanyu.”

“Colonel.  The floor is yours.”