CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: November 14 Game: Black Ryan  (Read 1883 times)

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
November 14 Game: Black Ryan
« on: November 03, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »

Black Ryan
July 20, 3079
Tibidee, Blake Protectorate

After the initial landings on Tibidee, a force was dispatched to take the Ryan Ice Cartel ship that was sitting in orbit.  The ice ship was a relic of the ancient terraforming efforts on the world.  The Word of Blake had previously fortified it, and were using it as a space defense platform to run raids against the invasion fleet.  Due to the proximity of the icy rock to the planet, any attempts to destroy it outright would rain destruction down on the planet below.  Forces were drawn up to attempt a hazardous invasion to steal the base away from its Blakist defenders.

The defenses of the asteroid base were concentrated around the top of the roughly rectangular ice block, where the space base facilities were located.  Due to the amount of fire coming from the roof, the alliance forces were forced to skirt around and land on the far side of the base, shielded from the worst of the planetoid’s defenses.  As the defenders realized the scope of the forces arrayed against both them and the planet, the Precentor vowed to make the fight as costly as possible, and set the vast ship on a deorbital burn.

Will the Alliance be able to stop the ship in time?!?

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: November 14 Game: Black Ryan
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:44:50 AM »

Travis, do you need any mechs? Not sure if I will have what you need, but maybe.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

I most likely will.  I'm still sorting through the scenario and forces.  I'll put up a list of what I need this weekend.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 03:42:26 PM »

Map setup:
It is something of a PacMan setup, where units will begin on the bottom or top of the icecube and can move around to the different map groups, going to the sides and then the top or bottom.  Each set of mapsheets is their own contiguous ‘block’, where units can see each other as normal.
(port)  (ventral) (starboard) (dorsal) loop
[    ]  =   [    ]  =    [    ]      =     [    ] =
Bottom: Landing for allies in middle mapsheet;  Lower mapsheet has engine target, 2 light turrets;  upper mapsheet has 2 light turrets, 1 heavy turret.
Sides (mirrored): Each mapsheet has 2 light turrets.  Bottom mapsheet has an engine target.  Top mapsheet has a primary generator target (controls opposing SIDE’s weapons).
Top: middle has main deployment zone for WOB, command target and secondary generator target, 2 turrets.  Upper has 2 turrets and 1 heavy turret, bottom has 2 light turrets, 1 heavy turret, and 1 engine target

Special buildings:
Engine Targets: must be destroyed to prevent ship from de-orbiting, one of two potential objectives.
Primary Generator: destroying this will de-power all turrets on the OPPOSING side of the ship
Secondary Generator: while operational, may keep any 2 turrets running despite losing the appropriate generator.  The two turrets are declared as end of turn declarations, and may be switched then.
Command Bunker: Needed to complete mission to disable the viability the station.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:49:24 PM by Riegien »

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »

Rules in play:
Vacuum: All hits cause breach checks, rolls on a 12 indicate a breach on a mech or vee.  Damage on infantry and battle armor is doubled.  Turrets, buildings, and aerospace units are immune to this.  Aerospace units do not suffer any penalties in flight due to atmosphere.  All units effected by this will breach when armor is lost, losing control of any internals within that location.

Low gravity: units are deployed with special temporary jets affixed to their vehicles to provide a semblance of gravity, and keep them from floating away helplessly into the void.  Effective gravity for mech and vees is .5g while these are active.

Low Altitude Map:  The Ryan Iceship occupies the central series of hexes as marked on a ‘low altitude’ map.  This is not an atmospheric map, but represents local space around the ship.  The Iceship sits at ‘altitudes 5 and 6’, which acts as an obstical for units flying at those altitudes in that area, and to make attack runs on the SIDE ground hexes, must be at those altitudes.

3D Mapboards:  The maps are laid out so that each contiguous ‘column’ of maps represents one side of the iceship.  Ground units may traverse the boundary hexes as if they were an elevation change (costs 1 additional, cannot walk backwards to do so), and move from one set of sheets to another, representing moving from 1 side of the cube to another.  While they are on the boundry, they can see and be seen by all units on either set of relevant mapsheets.  If a unit is forced from the edge of one mapsheet, it floats off, and does not move onto the adjacent mapsheets.

Frigid planetoid:  All woods hexes are ‘Ice columns’ that provide cover as if they were woods of the appropriate type.  Any water hexes are sheet ice and will be treated as pavement for sideslipping.

Word of Blake special rules
Defense Turrets: There are two varieties of defensive turrets installed on the platform, both of which are heavily reinforced and run by a rudimentary gunnery program controlled from within the ship (gunnery 4).  Light batteries are Paired ERLL + ERPPC, while heavy are a SCL/3+paired gauss.  Due to the desire not to blow up their home, the subcapital lasers cannot fire at targets on the ground map, but are free to fire at approaching fighters and dropships.  Turrets may fire at either targets on the map board OR targets on the low altitude map (using aero range brackets when firing in this mode), but must declare after movement which type of target they are firing at, and may not fire at both types in the same turn.  Light turrets are 1 lvl high, and LOS to and from them is BLOCKED by any interposing unit (turrets are built as low profile as possible, and the programming refuses potential friendly fire by firing through space within 10m of a friendly unit.)  Heavy turrets do not have these restrictions.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »

Aerospace special rules:
Movement will be cinematic, not vector.  Maneuvers may be done at beginning or end of movement.  Units may not go above altitude 10 or below altitude 1.  If they do so, they simply stay at the same altitude as previous unless intending to leave the play area.

Squadrons:  Fighters will be deployed in squadrons for ease of use of significant aerospace assets. 

"Top Cover" When an ASF squadron is nominated to make an attack against units on a ground mapsheet, one or more of the squadron members may be nominated to fly "top cover" at the same time the flight path across the ground mapsheet is nominated. These fighters make it more difficult to accurate attack the fighter(s) making the actual ground attack run. For each fighter in a squadron which flies top cover, add a +1 to-hit modifier against all fighters making ground attacks, to a maximum of +5 (if 5 of the 6 fighters in the squadron fly top cover). Fighters flying top cover may not make attacks themselves during a turn in which they fly top cover, and may not take Evasive Movement. When making attacks against squadron members split between ground attack and top cover elements, the attacker must state whether they are attacking the units flying top cover, or the units making the ground attack. Units flying top cover are NOT treated as though they are at Range 0, but instead are attacked from the ground normally. Neither are top cover units treated as though they are making air-to-ground attacks for the purposes of to-hit modifiers. Only after nominating whether the attacker will attack the ground attack element, or the top cover element, is the actual target of the attack randomized between members of the appropriate element.

Defensive quadrants:  Defensive turrets can only attack AND BE ATTACKED on the ‘side’ of the ice ship they are located on.  The Ice ship is at altitude 5.  TOP defenses can only fire at things at altitude 6 or more, BOTTOM defenses can only fire at things altitude 4 or less.  Side defenses may fire at any altitude, but only to the side of the ship they face.  Attack runs on the side faces are declared as ‘end phase declarations’ on the previous turn.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:28:41 AM »

Something has come up and I will not be able to attend this weekends game. Sorry for the late notice.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 06:48:02 PM »

Hokay, I will need the following minis, if possible.

WOB: 1 of each of the celestial mechs, Lightray, gurka, initiate, ostscout, mongoose*, redshift, Dan's lvl 2. Partisan x4.

Coalition: Glass spider, stormcrow prime, shad iic 7, adder, phoenix hawk IIC, blitzkrieg, griffin x2, Zeus*, commando*, Hollander, penetrator, Starslayer, banshee*, Warhammer, Archer, Atlas*, mongoose 2, flashman, grasshopper*, QuickDraw x2*, thug

Space: 7 dropships or dropship like craft (b5 fleet action artemis, whatever), sparrowhawk x2, corsair x2, sabre x2*, corvax/issus x2, shiva x1*, sabutai x1, gotha x2

*I can provide

On the other hand, since it looks like we have.. 3-4 players total, I'm working on coming up with a plan B.  Is there anything people would want to see?

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 05:34:24 AM »

I will be there.  Seth knows about it.  I don't know if he is coming.  I can bring the...

Glass Spider
Stormcrow
Adder
1 Griffin
Starslayer
Warhammer
Archer
2 Mongoose

Lightray
Red Shift

fighters [fleet scale]
2 Sparrow Hawks
2 Corsair
Sabutai
2 Gotha

I will raid my space box and see what I can come up with.

"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 12:11:55 AM »

Sorry for the shirt notice. I will not be able to get out of Columbus this weekend.  Some stuff has come up and I don't feel like getting evicted from my apartment.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 07:58:40 AM »

Sounds like the game just became a grinder.

How would people feel about a vehicle grinder?