CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Well, this month was rough.  (Read 3750 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Well, this month was rough.
« on: November 15, 2015, 02:49:16 AM »

The way I understand, essentially everybody ended up with something keeping them from being there.  It happens.  So here's the thing.  I'd very much appreciate it if everybody who is interested in the Clan campaign could be there on December 5th.  Primarily because we're going to roll out our forces that day, but also to get a strong showing before the year is out.  I'm leaving Canton OH at 5am Saturday morning to be back here to run the December game that day, so if I can make it...

I'm supposed to be back in my house by the end of this week, where I'll finish the campaign stuff and start a new subforum for it.  Worst case, it'll go up just after Thanksgiving, so be thankful for the new ruleset.  If you folks know of anyone who'd be interested in jumping into the game, now's a great time to invite them out.  This coming year will be Cincy BT's 10th anniversary, and while that's a very good run, I'll be honest insofar as if we're going to be seeing more massive declines in attendance, this year will likely see the closure of the group.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Well, this month was rough.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:54:37 PM »

Well, sadly, I'll be out of town on a family vacation that week. It's something we've had planned for almost a year. I'm very sorry to miss the beginning of the clan campaign.

That being said, I'd like to do something about rolling out my forces before I leave, or if Rob prefers, right after I get back. I live in Morrow, and work in Mason, which I mention in case anyone else is up this way. Rob, let me know what I can do.

===============================================================================================

So, in regards to your other comments, I think we shouldn't be too hasty about judging the health of the group. This "one-shot series" started all the way back in March. That's a LONG time ago, and a long time to be just doing one-off games or "grinders". I don't want to bore everyone with a 2-page explanation of why that would lead to less players, because no one wants to hear it, and it's just my opinion anyway; but I do think that's the biggest factor in losing motivation to show up.

Before that, we tried to have 2 simultaneous campaigns and one got cancelled. That left half the group as permanent OpFor. That went on for over a year. For some of us, it's been over 2 years since we had a PC or group of own mechs to run. Think about that, that is a LONG time, and in that time we actually picked up some new players! Not only that, but the OpFor was generally facing Super-PC's with massive experience, skills, and abilities, and they kept showing up anyway.  (^_^)b

I want to say thanks to those that stepped up to run "one-shots", because it's a lot of work, and I'm glad you guys are willing to do it. When we have an actual campaign going, it's a fact that guys will show up to play scenarios even when they don't enjoy the type of scenario being played. Participation in a campaign setting engenders that sort of response, and that's exactly what keeps the group going and growing. For instance, someone who doesn't enjoy Aerotech will still show up for a campaign space battle. Someone who dislikes space combat will be far less likely to show up for a one-shot space battle.

For me personally, one-shot games are simply de-prioritized. I acknowledge that others may not feel that way, and in fact, may be angry at me for saying so. So I apologize for being part of the problem. It's not an easy thing for me to grab an entire Saturday for Battletech, so I tend to view breaks like this as a chance to catch up on other stuff; in the process, it makes it slightly easier to make the campaign games when they inevitably start up again.

I also don't feel I have the time (or the skills) to write up and run a huge ongoing campaign, so there too, I'm enjoying the fruits of the labors of others. I really, REALLY, appreciate the work that goes into it. It's just my opinion, but I suspect we'll see better attendance for the campaign than for one-offs. Campaign play is where we've always picked up new players as well. And at some point, we'll also lose some players. That's been happening since the beginning, and the list of our ex-players will continue to grow.

My part in this "group" started when I contacted Rob on the boards (2007 I think) and he agreed to meet me and teach me the game. Next game was Rob GM'ing while Dan taught me the value of paying better attention to Scenario Objectives. After that we started picking up disgruntled B5 players (Phil, Travis) and we've been going ever since. All our lives have changed in the meantime, families have grown, moves have happened, new jobs, etc.; but we're still here, and as far as I can tell, eagerly awaiting the start of another DeHoff campaign. Let's do it!  ;D

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:53:58 AM »

I am looking forward to the start of the campaign. Will have to make sure all know that this day is spoken for. The Ilkhan be damned.

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 06:33:11 PM »

I'll be there on the 5th.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »

I'm doing my best to make it and bring my oldest with me.  I'm still waiting on all 3 of my kids basketball schedules.  The 5th is the first regular game weekend.

More info as I get it.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »

My oldest son and I will be there on the 5th.  We are excited to get this started.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »

I will be there hell or high water..I am not willing to let this close. It took me to damn long to find a great group of guys to play a game that means a lot to me. So it may seem selfish but I would like to keep this group for sentimental reasons and of course fun.
Die Clanner!!!!

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »

Ok, my oldest has a basketball game at 11.  As long as his brothers' games are earlier, the two of us could probably be there about 1.  Still waiting on the other two schedules.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 05:36:21 PM »

Ok, I know we are getting together on Dec 5 and are going to roll for our trinary, but is someone running a game that day?

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 02:07:41 AM »

If nobody claims it by Thursday night, I'll run the hell's horses mission that everyone missed last time (back in may).

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »

I believe Rob in the first part of this thread, stated that he was going to be running a game and getting the campaign stuff in. Everyone might want to reread the first of this thread.  ;)

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 10:58:42 PM »

You are correct.  Consider the comment to be amended to read as: If there is no sign of life from Rob by Thursday, I will prep the tokasha mechworks scenario as a backup.  I don't want to waste a perfectly good Saturday.   ;D

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »

*sign of life*

I still don't have a habitable house, though.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »

*sign of life*

I still don't have a habitable house, though.

Did you ever?

/chirp

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »

Hope the housing problem is fixed soon.