CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Campaign Rules Questions Thread  (Read 11740 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Campaign Rules Questions Thread
« on: December 06, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »

Ask your questions in this thread.  I'll answer them here, and this post will be updated semi-regularly with the question text and answer to act as a 1-stop FAQ.

READ THE RULES TWICE-THROUGH LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION PLEASE

==================================================

Since we are clan, if we use an inner sphere mech that would be available to a particular clan would the weapons be considered clan or inner sphere?

Use the tech base listed in the corresponding TRO for each unit.  If you select a Royal Mongoose, for example, all equipment on the Mech is Inner Sphere-tech, unless customized as per normal campaign customization rules (free or WCP-based).

Is the Laser AMS Advanced or Experiemental?

Experimental, as per the chart on page 408 of Tactical Operations.

What version of the Targeting computer is being used; the version shown on Sarna.net or a different version?

Sarna.net is not a definitive rules source.  Unless otherwise noted, use the rules found in Total Warfare (latest edition, plus errata) for all equipment rules, including the Targeting Computer.

How does replacing units work?  Can I replace a medium Mech with a Heavy Tank or a Light ASF?

You must replace a unit with a like unit of the same type and mass category (Heavy Vehicle, Light ASF, Medium Battle/OmniMech, etc).  You need not replace it with the exact same unit, but you must stay within the guidelines as per your initial force composition rolls.  No combination of replacement and/or customization may take your total force BV2 over the 38,000-point cap.

EXAMPLE: Rob's Hellbringer H is totally destroyed.  Which is unsurprising, considering it's a Hellbringer.  Rob would like to replace the unit.  He decides to replace the Hellbringer H with another Hellbringer H.  This costs 115 WCP (50+mass of the unit).

Later, Rob's Hellbringer H is totally destroyed.  Again.  Which is unsurprising, considering it was also a Hellbringer.  Rob would like to replace the unit.  He decides to replace the Hellbringer H with a Summoner Prime.  This costs 120 WCP (50+mass of the unit).  He then double-checks that the total BV2 of his entire force is equal to or less than 38,000 BV.  Note that he could only replace the Hellbringer with a Clan Heavy Mech available to his faction or on the General List.  He could not have replaced that unit with a Stormcrow (medium Mech, not heavy), nor with a Mars tank (not a Mech unit).  He COULD have chosen to replace it with a 75-ton Viper, however, as both of them are Heavy Mech units.

Finally, Rob decides to customize the Summoner Prime.  He removes the LRM-15 and ammo (2 items) and replaces them with an equivalent weight of SRM racks (say, 3 racks) and a ton of ammo (1 item).  He pays WCP for adding or removing a total of 6 items.  He THEN checks to ensure that the new BV2 of the modified Summoner is still under the 38,000 BV cap.  It is, so the Summoner Prime-M is added to his force list.

Do OmniMechs get a discount for switching from one canon configuration to another canon config (say, a Summoner Prime to a Summoner C)?

Yes.  This is a change to the printed rules text and the Master Rules Thread will be modified accordingly.  Total up the WCP cost for your new configuration as a normal OmniMech customization.  Subtract 5 WCP from the total cost, representing your Techs increased efficiency at changing to a "textbook" configuration.  This applies to switching between OmniMech canon configurations ONLY.  Standard BattleMechs do not receive a discount for switching between canon Mech variants (a Marauder IIC to a Marauder IIC 2, for example).

Can we pay the WCP cost to change OmniMech configurations *ahead* of time?

No.  Keeping track of which configurations you have "banked" is straying too far into the AccountTech it's been requested we avoid for this campaign.  However, certain mission rewards may let you "bank" a "free configuration change" for your OmniMechs; those will be uncommon enough that it shouldn't rile too many feathers.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:25:52 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Rules Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:11:19 PM »

Since we are clan, if we use an inner sphere mech that would be available to a particular clan would the weapons be considered clan or inner sphere?

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »

The MUL lists the specific variant of each mech available such as the Mongoose MON-66 and MON-66b.  I would expect they come with the listed weapons for those variants.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 12:32:16 AM »

can someone link me the mul..im curious about the novacat f1
Die Clanner!!!!

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »

The MUL lists the specific variant of each mech available such as the Mongoose MON-66 and MON-66b.  I would expect they come with the listed weapons for those variants.

This answer is correct.  The selected variant uses the tech base and weapons level as listed in its corresponding TRO.

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 12:35:19 AM »

for mech customization do we have to stick with same number of weapons or less or can we add as much to what ever since should be pod space? Also does it have to remain the same type of weapon, energy for energy?  This is more so for clarification but I think I get it.

Are any of my mechs certain clan specific

Warhawk
Dire wolf
Timber wolf
Black Python
Mad dog
Guillotine iic
Warhammer iic
Turkina
Stormcrow
Nova
Cougar
Stooping hawk
Novacat

Some of these I'm sure are not others not so much

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:12:53 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Era/FactionEraDetails?FactionId=85&EraId=247

Link to clan general list for you Ice

Edit, the above is for the civil war era and will all be safe, this link is for the jihad and contains units not yet released

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Era/FactionEraDetails?FactionId=85&EraId=14
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:31:04 AM by agustaaquila »

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 08:56:27 AM »

If I want to switch variants between games say between a Mist Lynx B and Prime, is this treated as customizations with each weapon/system removed or added paying the same rates?

If there's a decreased cost for switching between standard variants, at what point if any does a custom configuration of pod space become a standard variant?

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »

Thx mike and others some follow up questions on these the novacat is debut year 3059 would that not meet the criteria or no since is listed under jihad? Also the stoopinghAwk isn't on those but the mul says it's available. I do want to get the earlier issue clarified about
Customizing a mech that has day 4 laser slots and wanted to add a 5th or say add a ballistic instead just to be sure since I've got a few that are to be modified also are any of the mechs specific to a certain clan or available to all
Die Clanner!!!!

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »

Thx mike and others some follow up questions on these the novacat is debut year 3059 would that not meet the criteria or no since is listed under jihad? Also the stoopinghAwk isn't on those but the mul says it's available. I do want to get the earlier issue clarified about
Customizing a mech that has day 4 laser slots and wanted to add a 5th or say add a ballistic instead just to be sure since I've got a few that are to be modified also are any of the mechs specific to a certain clan or available to all

If you use the Civil War era MUL, you're fine as noted above.  It's only if you're looking for units on the Jihad Era MUL and missing from the Civil War era that you really need to be careful about introduction dates.  I expect it's possible that a variant with technologies specific to a clan might not have been immediately available.  First year that the heavy laser came out, H variants might have only been available to Clan Star Adder until Trials of Possession provided other clans with access.

Rob's seemed pretty reasonable.  If you've got a good argument for why a given mech variant not listed in the Civil War MUL but on the Jihad era MUL should be available to your clan, I expect he'll listen.  If it's not on either, I'd say that the clan in question has never adopted that variant.  The MULs are pretty thorough.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »

honestly that's the only other reason im asking is to determine what clan I would pick. The nova cat A, cougar, turkina h, and stooping hawk b are the only ones really in question. Only real reason for those variants is the bv cost. That leads into why I was asking about the customization.  The turkina is going to be custom, stooping hawk is going to be custom, and the other 2 are stock variant. Now as ex for customization a mech has 4 energy but I want to put a 5th on it is that fine? Also if it has 4 energy can I had a 5th and a ballistic missle etc.. I know I can add jj and equipment but would weapons be limited to the type of hardpoints there were before customizing the variant. I know clans have Omni pods and make it easy to swap but are they limited to those variant pods or can I change it to add 12 small lasers if I really wanted. Wasn't sure if rob had something in mind for this type of question or not. I just want to make sure the variants and customizations I make will be fine.
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 08:29:11 PM »

*** When a unit replaces a totally destroyed unit, the player may choose any era appropriate, faction-appropriate unit which fits underneath the force's total BV2 cap.  In no circumstance may a force ever exceed 38,000 BV2
[\quote]

I assume the new unit must be same type and weight class as the destroyed unit (?).  If I am wrong, can we replace a light mech with a heavy ASF point as long as we stay under the BV2 cap?

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 10:41:51 PM »

*** When a unit replaces a totally destroyed unit, the player may choose any era appropriate, faction-appropriate unit which fits underneath the force's total BV2 cap.  In no circumstance may a force ever exceed 38,000 BV2
[\quote]

I assume the new unit must be same type and weight class as the destroyed unit (?).  If I am wrong, can we replace a light mech with a heavy ASF point as long as we stay under the BV2 cap?

From the rules:
Warchest Logistics Cost Table
MECH UNITS   
Replace a totally destroyed Mech***   50 + New Unit's tonnage (must be same mass type)

There are equivalent notes under each unit type.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »

I'm gonna put the stuff together and shoot it via pm to rob for 100 % certainty
Die Clanner!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6