CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Campaign Rules Questions Thread  (Read 11738 times)

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Rules Questions Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »

where can I find calculating bv 2 I think the numbers maybe off so I want to double check them
Die Clanner!!!!

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »

It's just the values in the MUL or SSW.

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2015, 09:26:05 AM »

ok so those are correct then..i have 3 custom mechs now though and in thread says I have to recalculate. SSw would work for that correct?
Die Clanner!!!!

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 10:41:47 AM »

Correct, it should be generating bv2 values.

Ice

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »

Alright in that case I have updated my units
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2015, 10:15:58 PM »

It's been asked a couple of times how Zellbringen will work, if at all.

The vast majority of the scenarios will have zell as an OPTIONAL rule.  That is, you can choose to employ a strict or liberal zellbringen and get a certain number of additional WCP as a reward for winning the scenario.  This works in the same way as applying an environmental condition during, say, the Chaos Campaign.

Aside from potential increases in WCP rewards, zell the presence or absence of zell can affect your unit selections.  In effect, artillery-equipped units cannot use their artillery weapons under liberal zell (at least until zell has been broken), and cannot be deployed at all under strict zell.  If you choose not to select zell at all, then it doesn't matter.  Note that VERY rarely, there may be scenarios which *require* you to use strict or liberal zell at no additional WCP reward.  If you're under a level of zell that forces you not to deploy an artillery-equipped unit, then that unit must be bid away during the bidding process. 

Also, as a side note, the Clans do not use Tube artillery at this time.  The only artillery you may use (as a custom or by selecting, I dunno..a Naga or something) is Arrow IV.

I don't THINK there's any other equipment types available to the Clans which impact zell (since you don't have C3 nets, etc), so that should be all.  If something else is brought up, I'll rule on it then.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »

Gentlemen,
Does the Elemental [AP Gauss] Battle Armor have any other weapons besides the AP Gauss rifles?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:35:34 PM by Black Omega »
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2015, 09:19:57 PM »

SRM2 and a infantry weapon, as normal elemental.  Just changes out the laser/flamer/mg/etc for an ap gauss.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 09:35:50 PM »

Will there be any role-playing/backstory [character histories needed] for the campaign?
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2015, 11:28:31 PM »

It's been asked a couple of times how Zellbringen will work, if at all.

The vast majority of the scenarios will have zell as an OPTIONAL rule.  That is, you can choose to employ a strict or liberal zellbringen and get a certain number of additional WCP as a reward for winning the scenario.  This works in the same way as applying an environmental condition during, say, the Chaos Campaign.

Aside from potential increases in WCP rewards, zell the presence or absence of zell can affect your unit selections.  In effect, artillery-equipped units cannot use their artillery weapons under liberal zell (at least until zell has been broken), and cannot be deployed at all under strict zell.  If you choose not to select zell at all, then it doesn't matter.  Note that VERY rarely, there may be scenarios which *require* you to use strict or liberal zell at no additional WCP reward.  If you're under a level of zell that forces you not to deploy an artillery-equipped unit, then that unit must be bid away during the bidding process. 

Also, as a side note, the Clans do not use Tube artillery at this time.  The only artillery you may use (as a custom or by selecting, I dunno..a Naga or something) is Arrow IV.

I don't THINK there's any other equipment types available to the Clans which impact zell (since you don't have C3 nets, etc), so that should be all.  If something else is brought up, I'll rule on it then.

Are artillery units not permitted to use Arrow IV missiles under the direct fire rules under zell?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 01:03:12 AM »

Are artillery units not permitted to use Arrow IV missiles under the direct fire rules under zell?

I am checking on this, but by the reading of the TRO 3055 Naga entry and the various zell rules floating around, no.  Technically, just deploying artillery weapons in ANY fashion under zell is a breach, whether liberal or not. 

I believe the fluff justification is that simply targeting a hex and letting splash damage do the work isn't a real measure of a warrior's skill.  That's not a complete explanation, granted, but from what I can glean that's the primary reason (or, if you're using a spotter for indirect, it's a breach of zell because 2 units are engaging 1).  Essentially, deploying artillery units is a breach of zell by itself.  Total Warfare Zell rules outright prohibit area-effect weapons from being used under zell.  Page 275 of TW is the relevant citation.  However, all forces are at Honor Level 4 in regards to artillery unless otherwise indicated by the scenario or your WCP choices (which would lock you down to either Honor Level 1 or 3, depending on the option you select).  Technically you shouldn't be able to deploy area-effect weapons at all, but it makes more sense to simply have their use locked down until/unless zell is violated.

As such, my ruling as per the post you quoted will stand as written for now.  Please remember that a major purpose behind this ruleset is to make it *feel* you're a Clanner.  Clanners pretty much don't *ever* use artillery, and so ya'll should expect the rules to reflect that.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »

I am checking on this, but by the reading of the TRO 3055 Naga entry and the various zell rules floating around, no.  Technically, just deploying artillery weapons in ANY fashion under zell is a breach, whether liberal or not. 

I believe the fluff justification is that simply targeting a hex and letting splash damage do the work isn't a real measure of a warrior's skill.  That's not a complete explanation, granted, but from what I can glean that's the primary reason (or, if you're using a spotter for indirect, it's a breach of zell because 2 units are engaging 1).  Essentially, deploying artillery units is a breach of zell by itself.  Total Warfare Zell rules outright prohibit area-effect weapons from being used under zell.  Page 275 of TW is the relevant citation.  However, all forces are at Honor Level 4 in regards to artillery unless otherwise indicated by the scenario or your WCP choices (which would lock you down to either Honor Level 1 or 3, depending on the option you select).  Technically you shouldn't be able to deploy area-effect weapons at all, but it makes more sense to simply have their use locked down until/unless zell is violated.

As such, my ruling as per the post you quoted will stand as written for now.  Please remember that a major purpose behind this ruleset is to make it *feel* you're a Clanner.  Clanners pretty much don't *ever* use artillery, and so ya'll should expect the rules to reflect that.

So.  Uhh.  It may only matter for the two of us - but for the purposes of being VERY sure, the Flamberge C brings its own Artillery and TAG to the field.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »

So.  Uhh.  It may only matter for the two of us - but for the purposes of being VERY sure, the Flamberge C brings its own Artillery and TAG to the field.

It would be treated like any other artillery-carrying unit.

If there's no zell in the scenario, you can bring it, use it, and blow people up to your heart's content.
If there's liberal zell in the scenario, you can bring it, but you cannot use the area-effect weapons on it unless/until zell is broken.
If there's strict zell in the scenario, you cannot bring it at all, and would have to bid it away during the bidding process.

Also, the availability date on the Flamberge is 3077 for the actual production model.  Only the partial wing prototypes existed in the 3060s, and they were shelved from the mid 3060's-3074.  So the Flamberge should be a moot point anyway.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »

On a completely different note, how will things work if we have people show up to play that don't have forces and are willing to run OpFor?

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »

On a completely different note, how will things work if we have people show up to play that don't have forces and are willing to run OpFor?

Probably put them onto a random table and run OPFOR there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6