CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Mission 5: Training Day  (Read 899 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Mission 5: Training Day
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:27:12 AM »

Warriors of the Watch,

The year 3069 has drawn to a close, and the situation in the Homeworlds is grim.  More unrestrained large-scale interClan conflict is occurring than has happened in perhaps the previous 200 years, and it looks only to get worse.  Between the twin naval engagements over the Lum shipyards, to the Ice Hellion false-flag assault on the Star Adder holding on Tanis, to the Coyote/Mandrill engagement on Shadow that saw the annihilation of two full Coyote Clusters and serious damage to one of their WarShips, this year seems to mark the beginnings of a different sort of conflict between the Clans.  Perhaps most disturbing is the engagement between the Steel Vipers and Jade Falcons on Marshall. 

During this engagement, the 2nd Falcon Velites and the Viper Fusiliers (Beta Galaxy) met in battle. By all fair measures, the Falcons were seriously beaten by the Vipers. The defenders then called their remaining units into battle, and coordinated artillery strikes on the Fusilier positions. This clearly dishonorable action and the attendant heavy casualties forced the Vipers to retreat. The Viper Khans demanded an apology from the Falcons for the use of dishonorable Inner Sphere tactics, but the Grand Council decided in favor of the Falcons.  The Vipers did not accept this ruling, and in November condemned the Falcons in front of the Council, claiming that they were doomed as a Clan due to their actions in battle, that they allowed freeborn to rise to influential positions, and that since they used Inner Sphere troops to test their sibkos their genetic lineage was clearly weak.  When the Grand Council once again dismissed the Viper accusations, the Vipers unilaterally launched an assault on Jade Falcon worlds across the Kerensky Cluster.

It is clear that the Viper claims have some merit aside from petty jealousy, but the Watch has not yet been called to investigate possible Falcon perfidity.  In the absence of a call to action, the Watch will take this time to train our warriors and to ensure that all sub-commands are operating at full capacity with their newly-modified orders of battle.

GAME 5

All players will bring their full TO&E for this game. 

Players will be paired off randomly as allies. Two sets of 2 players will engage one another on a 2x3 board setup.  All maps are rolled randomly as per Total Warfare (Avatar edge from ANY Avatar participating in the battle may be used to re-roll a map; a single maps may not be re-rolled more than once).  Sides choose homes edges and deploy as per Total Warfare.  Each player will deploy up to two Stars into this fight.

Board Setup
[][][]  1, 2, 3
[][][]  4, 5, 6

Objective:
1) At the end of 15 turns, have destroyed or crippled at least 75% of the opposing force (numerically).

Special Rules:
1) Training Day: All damaged and destroyed units may be repaired/replaced for 33% of their normal WCP cost after the battle (round up to the nearest 5 WCP).  Destroyed units *must* be replaced with a like unit.
2) Medic!: If an Avatar is killed, that Avatar may be replaced in time for Game 6, at a cost of only 25 WCP

Warchest:
1) This scenario has no Track Cost
2) Each player may choose to roll once on the Weather Table (TacOps pg 69). Only that player may reroll the result via Edge.  If that player's side achieves their objective, each player on the winning side recieves an additional 75 WCP for each weather effect rolled for their side.  If your side doesn't achieve the objective, you gain 25 WCP per Weather effect rolled for by your side.
3) For every Point LESS than 10 deployed by a player, that player receives 25 bonus WCP if his side achieves their objective (ie, if you deploy 7 points, you'd gain an additional 50 WCP if your side wins).  If you deploy less than 7 points, you gain 25 bonus WCP even if you don't achieve the objective..
4) If ALL players at the table agree to play via liberal Zell, then each player receives 75 bonus WCP at the end of the game.  The first player to break zell gains no WCP from this category AND no WCP for achieving the objective.  To determine if all players wish to play via zell, each player simultaneously puts a die down on the table covered by their hand (1 for no zell, 6 for zell), and all players lift their hands simultaneously.  This result is final.
5) Aircraft may not load external ordnance for this mission, nor may artillery load ammunition outside of HE and Flak.  Artillery gains no pre-sighted hexes.
6) The Tactical Genius SPA has no effect on intiative rolls in an allied game; gain +1 Edge instead.
7) At the end of the game, each side which achieves their objective gains 200 WCP.

This is what happens when I spend my time reading the new Campaign Operations book instead of developing the scenario.  Y'know, since Campaign Ops was SUPPOSED to be a useful resource for Warchest games.  What a wasted week.  Blargh.

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 5: Training Day
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:47:50 PM »

Under "War chest" heading, number 6: 

Do those with Tactics Bonus still get the bonus? 

If so, I don't understand why I don't get to use my Tactical Genius Spa that I chose for my initiative advantage instead of using tactics points.  I feel that the Tactical Genius and the Tactics Bonus has the same theory or principal, just the awards are different.  Also, if only one person per team rolls initiative, then my partner and I must choose if we want his tactics bonus or my ability to re-roll, which will determine who is rolling initiative. It makes me feel like I'm being limited because I didn't make my avatar like the majority in the Tactics category.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:51:37 AM »

I thought we covered what happens re: Avatar Tactics Bonus when we had the giant interlinked game.  You use the higher of the two skills for your entire side unless/until that Avatar is destroyed/disabled.  Then use the next highest bonus.  Etc.  So if you're paired with somebody who has a +4 Init, then hey, presto your whole side rolls at +4 Init and you're getting the benefit of their Init modifier for this game.

From prior campaign experience with multiple TacGenius SPAs in the same player grouping, the potential for having rerolls in a multi-person game is messy, and it's better not to have them.  Since Tactical Genius can be used *every* turn, its hurts more than one opposing player.  Then there's the issue of what happens when BOTH Avatars on one side have TacGenius; it's just messy logistically, and giving one unit one point of Edge is in no way a game-breaking assist that is still immediately useful. 

And, FYI, I'm losing out on this as well. *My* Avatar has the TacGenius SPA.  So don't think I'm not hurting myself with this.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 07:24:45 PM »

Rob, who rolled for weather effects for our game?
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 08:05:39 AM »

I rolled one and I believe Rob rolled the other.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »

I rolled one and I believe Rob rolled the other.

thx
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."