CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Mission 6: Recon Raid (and OPFOR building)  (Read 1382 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Mission 6: Recon Raid (and OPFOR building)
« on: August 15, 2016, 08:46:15 PM »

3 December, 3070
Clan Homeworlds

Late in 3070, word reached the Clan Grand Council of the dishonorable actions of Clan Sow Raven in the Inner Sphere.  Their effective sterilization of several planets - including Galedon - set an ominous precedent for the future.  The Steel Vipers, especially, protested that the Raven actions were dishonorable in the extreme, and the Viper Khans pushed has to ensure that the Snow Ravens would be severely punished at a level unseen among the Clans since the outright Annihilations of Clans 200 years ago.  While the final vote went narrowly against the Vipers, their found strong ideological allies in Clans Star Adder and Cloud Cobra, and before the year was out a sort of "Snake Alliance" would be formalized between the three Clans, forming a power bloc among the Homeworlds hitherto unseen.  This triumvirate openly declared their intention to launch a coordinated attack against the Homeworld holdings of the Snow Ravens.

Meanwhile, information has come to the Watch from an unknown and highly secretive source which intimates that the Diamond Sharks are dealing Clan technology directly to the Federated Suns in the Inner Sphere; this action would go directly against the Grand Council's specific restrictions on their trade practices, and if true the consequences for the Sharks would be dire.  At the dictate of the IlKhan, Watch forces will land on Priori and locate the Diamond Shark Merchant Caste coordination facility so it may be seized and inspected in the name of the Grand Council.

Game Setup

This game is played on two BattleTech mapsheets.  These maps are determined randomly (see TW, pg 263).  Roll 1d6 for the northern map.  1-3: Open Terrain.  4-6: Hill Terrain.  Roll 1d6 for the southern map: 1-3: Hill Terrain.  4-6: Wooded Terrain.  Reroll any results of Box Canyon or Heavy Woods 1 or 2.  Resolve the specific mapsheet as per the indicated table.   Maps MUST be laid out short edge to short edge.  Aerospace units are run using a Low Altitude Mapsheet, keyed to Hexes 0809 and 0909 for the play area.  The OPFOR player will receive several Building Hex Tokens, and must deploy these tokens on the Northern Map, leaving at least one hex between any two Building Tokens (no adjacent Buildings).  These Buildings must be located no closer than 3 hexes from the northern edge, and may not cross onto the southern map, and are always considered to be sitting on Clear terrain.

Map Layout
east   []......west
 .......[]  

Deployment

OPFOR
OPFOR units begin play on the north Map, no further than 2 hexes from a building (not inside). Aerospace units enter the Low-Altitude Map from the map edge corresponding to the direction of the ground map home edge, at Velocity 4, Altitude 6 or less.  OPFOR players will set up 15 buildings on the north Map, secretly denoting one of them as the HQ and 6 others as Munition Warehouses.

Clan
Clan units enter the board along the south edge during their movement on Turn one.  Clan Aerospace units enter the Low-Altitude Map during their movement (Velocity and Altitude determined by the controlling player) on Turn ONE.

Game Rules
1) Clan units operate under Forced Withdrawal rules.
2) This game will end after Turn 15.
3) OPFOR Players play under the same level of Zellbringen rules as the Clan player; they may break Zell, but if so the reinforcements will not arrive.
4) All buildings are CF 80 and stand 2 levels tall, regardless of the stats on the Building Token.
5) The OPFOR player may secretly deploy up to 20, 20-point minefields on the northern map (note the hex numbers).  These minefields are vibrabombs, which may be set detonate at any mass of 75 tons or higher (each minefield can be set to a different mass).  Clan vibrabombs do not detonate "early", but recall that they can still be set off by friendly units.  Minefields are detectable by an Active Probe entering up to 3 hexes away, or by a Mech setting them off.
6) The OPFOR player reinforcements enter the board from the north edge.  Beginning on Turn 7, roll 2d6.  On a 9+, the reinforcements arrive (PC edge may be spent on this roll; Avatar edge if the Avatar starts the game, or Star Commander edge if the Avatar doesn't start the game).  They always arrive on the start of Turn 11 if they have not already done so.
7) Walking to within 3 hexes of a building with a functional Active Probe will immediately identify that building.  Walking within 1 hex of a building without an Active Probe will identify that building.  A unit using Running, Jumping, Flank, or Airborne movement modes cannot ID the building type at all.
8) Note that Active Probes do not function if within a hostile ECM bubble, and targets inside said bubble cannot be scanned.

Warchest Rewards and Costs
Track Cost: 100

Objectives
1) Hello, HQ: Discover the HQ facility AND exit at least half of all forces from the playing area by the end of Turn 15.   +200
2) Completionist: Identify all 6 warehouses AND destroy or cripple all mobile defending units (defending units which exit the map count as destroyed). +150

Options (you must achieve at least one Objective to receive Option Warchest Payouts)
+100 Surprise!: The OPFOR player may deploy up to 4 Mech units using Hidden Unit rules (TW, pg 259).
+100 Complicated Weather: Roll once on the Weather Table (pg.69, TO) and apply the result to the battlefield.
+100 Intelligence Leak: They knew you were coming and could react accordingly.  The OPFOR receives 10 extra 20-point vibrabomb minefields which can be set down to 35 tons.

Zellbringen (you MUST choose one level of Zellbringen.  If you achieve no Objectives, you receive HALF of the listed payout.  If you achieve at least one Objective, you receive the full payout)
+0 No Zellbringen: Clan forces may engage OPFOR units without regard for Zellbringen (ie, they may combine fire and may use area-effect weapons and physical attacks).  This cannot stack with any other Zellbringen option.
+100: Liberal Zellbringen: Clan forces must engage OPFOR using Zellbringen duelling** rules (ie, they must engage in 1-on-1 [or 1-on-2, 1-on-3, etc] duels with OPFOR units, may not use area-effect weapons, and may not use physical attacks.  At the end of each phase in which the OPFOR combines fire, uses area-effect weapons and/or physical attacks, or breaks LOS for the second turn in a row, the Clan player must roll 2d6.  On an 7+, the Clan player is freed from the confines of Zellbringen for the remainder of the scenario.  For every subsequent turn in which the OPFOR breaks Zellbringen, the TN of this check is reduced by 1.)  This cannot stack with any other Zellbringen option.
+200: Strict Zellbringen: Clan forces must engage OPFOR using Zellbringen duelling rules (ie, they must engage in 1-on-1 [or 1-on-2, 1-on-3, etc] duels with OPFOR units, may not use or deploy area-effect weapons or units which mount area-effect weapons [they must be bid away], and may not use physical attacks.  At the end of each phase in which the OPFOR combines fire, uses area-effect weapons and/or physical attacks, or breaks LOS for the second turn in a row, the Clan player must roll 2d6.  On an 9+, the Clan player is freed from the confines of Zellbringen for the remainder of the scenario.  For every subsequent turn in which the OPFOR breaks Zellbringen, the TN of this check is reduced by 1.)  This cannot stack with any other Zellbringen option.

Victory Points
+1 VP: Each OPFOR Point destroyed or crippled
-1 VP: Each Clan Point destroyed or crippled
+4 VP: Achieve the Hello, HQ Objective
+1 VP: Each warehouse discovered

Track Exits
1) Trial of Possession (traditional ToP for the facility)
2) False-flag Barracks attack (take the defending units by surprise and eliminate them)
3) Special Ops Raid (run cover for a SpecOps unit while they penetrate the facility and retrieve the information)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:46:01 AM by Darrian Wolffe »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 6: Recon Raid (and OPFOR building)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:01:30 PM »

OPFOR BUILDING

Each player will bring an OPFOR force.  This force consists of a Starting Force, a Reinforcement Force, and a Garrison Force.  The Starting and Garrison Forces begin play on the table during Turn 1.

Pick one number between 5-7.  This is the size of the Starting Force.  Subtract the Starting Force number from 10.  The remainder is the size of the Reinforcement Force.

STARTING FORCE MUST CONSIST OF:
Omni or BattleMechs, each massing between 20-55 tons, which are available to Clan Diamond Shark (or HW Clan General).  No repeated chassis.

REINFORCEMENT FORCE MUST CONSIST OF:
Omni or BattleMechs, each massing between 75-100 tons, which are available to Clan Diamond Shark (or HW Clan General).  No repeated chassis.

GARRISON FORCE MUST CONSIST OF:
2 OR 4 second-line vehicles (each pair must be identical) each massing between 5-60 tons, available to Clan Diamond Shark (or HW Clan General)

If you chose 2 second-line vehicles, you may also choose one of the following options:
UP TO 2 Points of Elementals, which MAY deploy and/or move into non-objective buildings.
UP TO 1 Point of Areospace Fighters, both of which must be identical and mass 50 tons or less.  These may carry the following types of external ordnance: HE Bombs, Cluster Bombs, Laser-Guided Bombs, Air-to-Air missiles, and all non-nuclear, non-mine-dispensing Arrow IV rounds

Build a force you feel comfortable playing against, assuming you're running a force composed of your lightest star plus one heavier unit.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:50:32 AM by Darrian Wolffe »

Dr. Irving Finegarten

• Private
  • weak and pitiable man of low moral compass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:55:28 PM »

I'm helping my child's high school band as a member of their 'pit crew'...and unfortunately the 20th is going to be a work day.  If it's pouring down the rain it might be cancelled...but for now you have to count me out.   >:(
Polly Reed: You're gonna let that SHYSTER on?
Dr. Irving Finegarten: I could sue you for calling me that, Polly! A shyster is a disreputable lawyer. I'M a QUACK!

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:22:22 AM »

P/G for OpFor forces?

Also, the rule regarding "no repeated chassis". Sorry if this is a dumb question, just want to make sure I understand: I couldn't bring a Mad Dog A and a Mad Dog B, because that's the same chassis, just different variants, correct?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:31:31 AM by serrate »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »

P/G for OpFor forces?

Also, the rule regarding "no repeated chassis". Sorry if this is a dumb question, just want to make sure I understand: I couldn't bring a Mad Dog A and a Mad Dog B, because that's the same chassis, just different variants, correct?

3/4 down the line (4/3 for ASFs).  And you're correct. 

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:39:07 AM »

8- Note that Active Probes do not function if within a hostile ECM bubble, and targets inside said bubble cannot be scanned.

Just to confirm, buildings within the bubble cannot be scanned via Active Probe, but can still be identified at range 1, correct? Or are buildings within an ECM bubble immune to identification completely?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »

8- Note that Active Probes do not function if within a hostile ECM bubble, and targets inside said bubble cannot be scanned.

Just to confirm, buildings within the bubble cannot be scanned via Active Probe, but can still be identified at range 1, correct? Or are buildings within an ECM bubble immune to identification completely?

The first.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 05:47:26 PM »

Second line vehicles ? How is there An easy way to determine if it's a front line verse not?
Die Clanner!!!!

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 07:35:21 AM »

I'll try and figure out a force tonight.  I'll need some help with mechs and vehicles or I'm going to have to proxy.

ADHDtv

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »

Just wondering (this is probably a stupid question) but are the vibrabomb minefields affected in any way by ECM or detected by a probe or any such equipment?

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 01:48:34 PM »

Second line vehicles ? How is there An easy way to determine if it's a front line verse not?

I'm guessing Omni-vees are front line only. Other than that, no idea. One of mine specifically says it's second-line on Sarna, but not all would include that info.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 02:19:34 PM »

Just wondering (this is probably a stupid question) but are the vibrabomb minefields affected in any way by ECM or detected by a probe or any such equipment?

Answered in the rules above.  "Minefields are detectable by an Active Probe entering up to 3 hexes away, or by a Mech setting them off."

Bring lots of assaults at your own peril. 

If it's an OmniVee, it's a front-line unit. 

In fairness, I phrased that poorly, so my apologies.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 06:47:19 PM »

Are the vibrobomb minefields able to be command detonated?
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »

hat heres a list of units I have if you need them

not sure exactly which are specific right off hand to diamond shark or general clan considering the mul is down but these should be adequate

heavy-assault
madcat x3
highlander iic
warhawk
kingfisher
supernova
marauder iic

light-medium
shadowhawk iic
wyvern iic
mist lynx
piranha x2
hunchback iic
dasher x2
hankyu
adder
wyvern iic
ice ferret
kit fox x2
goshawk
nova
stormcrow

elementals
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:36:58 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 10:40:04 PM »

Are we allowed to set ECM suites to ECCM so we can cancel out ECM and let our poor active probes work?
Are we differentiating Light Active Probe vs. Active Probe for the 3 hex range to identify buildings and minefields? I ask because the stated 3 hex range is less than the 5 hex base range for AP.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:49:59 PM by Timberwolfd »