CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mission 8: Operations Extraction  (Read 1734 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Mission 8: Operations Extraction
« on: October 17, 2016, 04:36:25 AM »

March 1st, 3071
Clan Homeworlds

The aftermath of the Watch's revelation that the Diamond Sharks were in fact engaging in covert dealings of ClanTech materiel with Inner Sphere powers sent shockwaves throughout the Homeworlds.  A Grand Council was hastily convened, and though accusations and counter-accusations ran wild, after three full days of Council it became clear that a decision was needed.  By a slim majority, the Council agreed that they could not - as a body -punish the Sharks for engaging in commerce which had not been expressly forbidden by Grand Council edict.  However, by a heavy majority, a censure was put against the Diamond Shark to cease all trade with non-Clan powers by the end of calendar year (allowing time for word to reach the far-flung Diamond Shark merchant fleet).  

Meanwhile, encouraged by the Council's lack of action regarding their extra-legal "punishment" of Snow Raven holdings, the triumvirate Snake Alliance of Star Adder, Cloud Cobra, and Steel Viper agreed once more to unleash their fury against lightly-defended Diamond Shark territories, heedless of the Council's ruling.  The Grand Council attempts to dictate a halt to Snake Alliance plans, and is rebuffed ue to the strength of the Snake power bloc and their network of favors.

The non-Snake Alliance members of Clan Grand Council are incensed at this challenge to the authority of the august body; the Snake Alliance actions are now consistently highly aggressive and not in keeping with the natures of the Cloud Cobras and Star Adders, and the Watch suspects some outside influence may be at work.  On March 1st, 3071, a Clan Watch force set down stealthily on Lum through Snow Raven territory.  Their mission is to take and hold a Steel Viper Command and Control center long enough for a Watch operations team to infiltrate the hub, extract a copy of the computer core, and all forces then exfiltrate the area.

Game Setup

This game is played on six BattleTech mapsheets representing the Lum facility.  The northeastern two maps are the fortress 1 and fortress 2 maps.  The remainder of the maps are determined randomly (see TW, pg 263), rerolling any Terrain table not included in the following list: Flatlands, Hill, Wetlands, Light Urban, Wooded.  Reroll any results of Box Canyon or Heavy Forese #1 or #2.   All maps are to be laid out before the bidding process begins.  OPFOR will nominate a single distinct structure within the base (not less than 6 hexes from the north map edge) as the HQ.

Map Layout
east   [][][]......west
 .......[][][]  

Deployment

OPFOR
OPFOR garrison begins the game deployed inside the fort, on level 0 pavement, no closer than 5 hexes from a rampart and no closer than 3 hexes from another Mech.

OPFOR relief force 1 enters from the northwest long edge during their movement on Turn one.

OPFOR relief force 2 enters from the south edge of the central map during their movement on Turn 8.

Clan
Clan units enter the board along the south edge during their movement on Turn one.  

Game Rules
1) This is a covert mission.  Zellbringen is not in play.
2) OPFOR units are under forced withdrawal (to the eastern map edge).  Clan units are not.
3) The Operations Teams (1 & 2) will enter the board from the board edge (to be announced day-of) during the movement phase AFTER the turn in which the Viper HQ is identified.
4) The Operations Teams must land adjacent to the Viper HQ, and must remain there - immobile - for 4 turns.  
5) The Operations Teams will then try to exfiltrate off-board from the mapsheet edge they entered.
6) Identifying the HQ requires moving an Active Probe-equipped ground or VTOL unit (outside of an ECM bubble) within 3 hexes of the target building during the movement phase.
7) The game ends when the objectives are met, cannot be met, or Turn 18 is concluded.

Warchest Rewards and Costs
Track Cost: 100

Objectives
1) Military Intelligence: Discover the HQ facility AND exit at least one of the Operations VTOLs from the board.   +300
2) No Witnesses: Completely annihilate the Garrison force and cause at least 50% casualties (destroyed or crippled) in each OPFOR relief force. +150

Options (you must achieve at least one Objective to receive Option Warchest Payouts); all rewards are "per Clan player".  Using an Option requres a "half+1" vote among the PCs to institute.
+100 Surprise!: The OPFOR player may deploy the garrison force using Hidden Unit rules (TW, pg 259).
+100 Complicated Weather: Roll once on the Weather Table (pg.69, TO) and apply the result to the battlefield.
+100 Intelligence Leak: They knew you were coming and could react accordingly.  The OPFOR receives 10, 20-point standard minefields.

Victory Points and Track Exits are not used in this scenario.

Bidding:
Each player must discard their heaviest mech star by average mass. If your avatar is in that star he may swap places with an equivalent-category unit (ie, heavy Mech for heavy Mech) in a lighter star, but if there is not an equivalent unit, he may not participate.  Players are paired off against each other and must bid from these reduced and lighter forces.  Note that this will be another "group" game, because we're running into another Magic tournament.

OPFOR generation to follow on Monday.  I will need somebody to generate two (2) record sheets for the P-Stealth Anhur VTOL (found in Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates, p. 8; http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anhur ).  Yes, that includes the Vehicular Stealth Armor.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:40:44 AM by Darrian Wolffe »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 8: Operations Extraction
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:35:26 PM »

OPFOR BUILDING

Each player will bring an OPFOR force. This force MUST be built on the following setup:

-Units available to Clan Steel Viper or on the Homeworlds Clan General MUL listing.

Medium Garrison Star
-This unit must be between 5,500 and 8,000 BV2 (not counting pilots)
-This unit's total mass may be no more than 240 tons
-This unit must contain only BattleMechs and OmniMechs
-All Mech pilots are 3/4
-One Mech pilot is the Star Commander, who has 2 points of available Edge and no Initiative Bonus.

Relief Star
-This unit must be between 8,500 and 11,000 BV2 (not counting pilots)
-This unit's total mass may be no more than 340 tons
-This unit must contain only BattleMechs and OmniMechs
-All Mech pilots are 3/4
-One Mech pilot is the Star Commander, who has 2 points of available Edge and no Initiative Bonus.

ONE PERSON (please volunteer) may generate an OPFOR Aerospace Force.  This force must include 4 OmniFighters in wing-pairs of 2 identical units.  Skill ratings are 4/3.
-One wing-pair has a total BV allowance of 5,000 (including external ordnance; free-fall bombs are 12 BV each)
-One wing-pair has a total BV allowance of 6,500 (see above parenthesis).

An OPFOR Force Commander will be randomly selected from the OPFOR Star Commanders and will receive an Initiative bonus on Saturday.  Aerospace forces may or may not appear depending on space available, player attendance, and battlefield weather conditions.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:51:13 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:01:38 PM »

Particular year restriction for opfor? Current year 3071 or prior and also any PC unit lost would it be able to have same availability for replacement?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:10:39 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:03:23 AM »

Particular year restriction for opfor? Current year 3071 or prior and also any PC unit lost would it be able to have same availability for replacement?

We advanced to 3071, so 3071.  And yes, PC stuff gains availability advancement as the campaign progresses.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 03:17:22 AM »

just wanted to make sure to double check before trying to put anything out lol nothing this time but thinking will be in future
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 09:54:11 AM »

Just to confirm, light active probes will also work to identify the HQ at 3 hexes (?).

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 12:29:30 PM »

Can PC forces use the "Take a bullet for another target" ability from TacOps?

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 07:09:45 PM »

Is the heaviest star discarded before bidding begins, or bid out as a mandatory first bid?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 03:36:22 PM »

Is the heaviest star discarded before bidding begins, or bid out as a mandatory first bid?

Before bidding begins.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 03:42:30 PM »

ERRATA: IF YOU HAVE A POINT WITH MORE THAN 1 UNIT IN IT, SUCH AS A VEHICLE POINT, ONLY ONE OF THE UNITS IN THE POINT COUNTS TOWARD YOUR "AVERAGE STAR MASS" CALCULATION FOR DETERMINING WHICH STAR IS THE HEAVIEST

It was not my intention to unduly penalize people with ASFs or vehicles.  Apologies.

Example:
A Star with a Hellbringer (65t), Hellbringer (65t), Ryoken (55t), Ryoken (55t), and a Dragonfly (40t) has an average mass of 56 tons (280/5).

A Star with a Hellbringer (65t), Hellbringer (65t), Ryoken (55t), Ryoken (55t), and two Mars tanks (100t ea) has an average mass of 68 tons (340/5).  Previously to this revision, its mass would have been 73.3 tons (440/6).

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »

How are we supposed to count the mass of BA and protos?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »

How are we supposed to count the mass of BA and protos?

Same as vees.  Basically, they make your Star WAY lighter, and can provide you with mission options aside from straight combat.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 01:25:20 AM »

Okay, point mass introduces a new issue.  What do we do when we end up with tied average star mass?

I end up with 330/385 tons for Destrier Star counting 1 vehicle versus both.
The total is 330/480 for Rouncey Star with 1 veh/point versus both.
(Jennet Star pulls down a measly 161.5/167.5 tons)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »

Okay, point mass introduces a new issue.  What do we do when we end up with tied average star mass?

Goddammit...really? 

I just rolled randomly.  Take Rouncy star.  Have fun.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 02:05:16 PM »

I will need somebody to generate two (2) record sheets for the P-Stealth Anhur VTOL (found in Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates, p. 8; http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anhur ).  Yes, that includes the Vehicular Stealth Armor.

Sorry, I don't have access to these record sheets.

ONE PERSON (please volunteer) may generate an OPFOR Aerospace Force.  This force must include 4 OmniFighters in wing-pairs of 2 identical units.  Skill ratings are 4/3.
-One wing-pair has a total BV allowance of 5,000 (including external ordnance; free-fall bombs are 12 BV each)
-One wing-pair has a total BV allowance of 6,500 (see above parenthesis).

We still need a person for this also. I don't think I'd be very good at building this force, not having much experience with clan aero/bombs. However, if I haven't seen anyone post a response by 3:30, I'm going to quickly build a force and print it (just in case, as I won't have a printer once I leave work).
Pages: [1] 2