CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Game 9: Tipping Points  (Read 2155 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Game 9: Tipping Points
« on: November 08, 2016, 03:25:45 PM »

3 December, 3071
Strana Mechty, Clan Homeworlds

In the aftermath of the raid on the Steel Viper C3 center, the Watch is increasingly concerned that a single entity is manipulating these Clans, and potentially others.  In conjunction with the raid on Lum, intelligence has been gathered from the Star Adders and Cloud Cobras which is nearly-identical in phraseology, all addressed from the Scientist Caste to the Warrior Caste urging a triparte alliance and a defiance of the Grand Council.  This information combines in a disturbing fashion with the information the Watch recovered from the Dark Caste facility on Barcella in 3069.  All indications point toward a single group bent on breaking or attacking the authority of the Grand Council in the Homeworlds.  Further investigation is clearly called for.

However, further investigation will have to wait.  As you no doubt know, three months ago, news reached the Homeworlds of the nuclear attack at Tamar.  The Word of Blake forces declined to launch a ground invasion of the Wolf Clan Inner Sphere capital world, instead performing days of standoff nuclear attacks deliberately targeting heavily-populated areas.  It is rumored that Wolf Clan genetic legacies were heavily irradiated, if not destroyed.  Fortunately, the Kerensky genetic legacies rest safely here on Strana Mechty out of the Word's despicable reach.  

With the Wolf Clan thrown into turmoil and unable to provide its normal stabilizing influence, the Grand Council has somewhat fractured.  In a surprise vote, the Fire Mandrill Khan was elected by the Council as the new Ilkhan, most likely because the weaker Clans fear the collective might of the Snake Alliance.  The Goliath Scorpions were dissatisfied with the result and immediately challenged the vote with a Trial of Refusal.  The battle on Shadow lasted 72 hours; the Scorpions won with horrendous losses, and the election of Garrett Sainze was repudiated with the loss and his death during the Trial.  This shakeup has kicked off fighting all across the Homeworlds.  The Fire Mandrills fight among themselves while the Cloud Cobras harry them from the outside.  Hell's Horses are attacking the Wolves, and the Ice Hellions attack anyone within reach.

In this climate, Watch Intelligence has noted  the Wolf 1st Lancers Cluster moving towards the genetic respositories in Katyusha.  They have not filed a movement plan, and it does not seem that the Clan forces in the area have noticed their overland march toward their objective.  Watch forces will attempt to interdict one of the Lancer columns in an effort to secure a prisoner and determine what the Wolf objective is.  If there is a threat to the repositories, it is a threat to ALL the Clans.

Game Setup

This game is played on four BattleTech mapsheets . These maps are determined randomly (see TW, pg 263).   Maps MUST be laid out as indicated below, and may be arranged as chosen by the OPFOR player (ie, roll for the maps, do the bidding process, then lay out the maps).  Note that there may not be a valid LOS between the entry points for the Clan and OPFOR players along the western board edge; rearrange the maps as needed to ensure this is possible, or if both players consent, reroll the maps.

Map Layout
west   [][]......east
 .......[][]  

Bidding

Because this is a rapid-response mission, Mech, ProtoMechs, or vehicles which are incapable of moving at least 4/6/4 or 5/8/0 may not be bid into the mission.  Consider that they don't "exist" for purposes of determining your initial forces from which you bid.  (ie, Rob has 15 mechs, of which 2 units from Alpha Star and 1 unit from Beta star do not meet the movement requirements.  He has 12 Mechs with which to begin bidding, and if he bids away is Alpha Star in its entirety he has bid away 3 points from his original 12.)

****(Let's see if THIS works.)

Deployment

OPFOR
OPFOR units must enter within 4 hexes of the northwest corner during their movement on Turn one.

Clan

Clan units enter the board within 4 hexes of the southwest corner during their movement on Turn one.  

Game Rules
1) Forced Withdrawal rules are in effect for Watch players.  Forced Withdrawal rules are not in effect for OPFOR players, but any OPFOR unit which would normally be under Forced Withdrawal must attempt to move towards the objective board edges.  Watch players may CHOOSE to withdrawal a unit off-board via any board edge (or voluntarily shut their Mech down as an End Phase declaration) if it meets any of the following conditions: missing a limb, internal in 3 locations, no weapons remaining capable of dealing 7+ damage, 1 engine or gyro hit, 2+ pilot hits, no armor remaining on the head.
2) This game has no turn limit.
3) The OPFOR Objective is to ensure their commanders escape the board from the southeastern corner hex (that hex, specifically).  
4) OPFOR units may make a straight PSR to walk or run through Watch unit occupying their target hex.  Failure results in an accidental charge by the moving unit, with the Watch unit holding its hex and the OPFOR unit being displaced backwards one hex.
5) Tricky Wolves: Wolf players must make a 2d6 roll in front of the GM or AGM.  The result is kept secret.  On an 7+, the Wolf player may bring in 1d3 reinforcement Mechs (from different Lancer columns) along either long board edge at the END of the turn's movement phase.  These Mechs may only enter the game after Turn 4. Reinforcement mechs NEVER obey zellbringen, and will automatically free the Clan player from Zellbringen once they open fire.
6) The Wolf Clan is under strict orders not to engage in Zellbringen, but vestiges of Honor remain.  Wolf Mechs will match the zell level selected by the Clan player.  However, if a Wolf Mech is engaged in a duel, roll 2d6 during the End Phase of every turn.  On a 7+, the next turn it will be free to break zellbringen.  If two Wolf Mechs break zellbringen in this way, then the Clan player is free to ignore zellbringen for the remainder of the scenario.
7) Wolf Clan Commanders.  The OPFOR player MUST choose to mark "for" or "against" auto-eject on the Commander's Mechs.  Commanders who eject can be picked up by OPFOR units who spend a full turn in either the ejection target hex, or the downed Mech's hex (if the commander didn't eject).  If the unit carrying the commander escapes, it counts as an escape for the commander.
8.) A Commander who has not been picked up once there are no remaining mobile Wolf Clan units on the board will commit suicide, granting VPs to neither side.
9) Coordinated Movement: The Wolf forces are under orders to arrive at their muster point simultaneously so as not to alert their targets.  Wolf Commanders cannot exit the board until the Movement Phase of Turn 8.

Warchest Rewards and Costs
Track Cost: 100

Objectives
1) Stop the commanders from escaping.  Do not let either "commander" flee the board from the OPFOR objective hex.  +200
2) Disable at least one of the commander's Mechs without causing pilot damage to that commander. +150
3) Capture a commander.  Remain stationary for at least 1 full turn adjacent to a downed commander's Mech.  Alternatively, if the commander ejected, spend one full turn in the hex in which he ejected (commanders do not "move" and do not take up initiative slots). +300

Options:
+100 Complicated Weather: Roll once on the Weather Table (pg.69, TO) and apply the result to the battlefield.  
+150 Elite Lancers: All OPFOR units improve their piloting and gunnery skills by -1/-1.

Zellbringen (you MUST choose one level of Zellbringen.  If you achieve no Objectives, you receive HALF of the listed payout.  If you achieve at least one Objective, you receive the full payout)
+0 No Zellbringen: Clan forces may engage OPFOR units without regard for Zellbringen (ie, they may combine fire and may use area-effect weapons and physical attacks).  This cannot stack with any other Zellbringen option.
+150: Liberal Zellbringen: Clan forces must engage OPFOR using Zellbringen duelling** rules (ie, they must engage in 1-on-1 [or 1-on-2, 1-on-3, etc] duels with OPFOR units, may not use area-effect weapons, and may not use physical attacks.  At the end of each phase in which the OPFOR combines fire, uses area-effect weapons and/or physical attacks, or breaks LOS for the second turn in a row, the Clan player must roll 2d6.  On an 7+, the Clan player is freed from the confines of Zellbringen for the remainder of the scenario.  For every subsequent turn in which the OPFOR breaks Zellbringen, the TN of this check is reduced by 1.)  This cannot stack with any other Zellbringen option.
+300: Strict Zellbringen: Clan forces must engage OPFOR using Zellbringen duelling rules (ie, they must engage in 1-on-1 [or 1-on-2, 1-on-3, etc] duels with OPFOR units, may not use or deploy area-effect weapons or units which mount area-effect weapons [they must be bid away], and may not use physical attacks.  At the end of each phase in which the OPFOR combines fire, uses area-effect weapons and/or physical attacks, or breaks LOS for the second turn in a row, the Clan player must roll 2d6.  On an 9+, the Clan player is freed from the confines of Zellbringen for the remainder of the scenario.  For every subsequent turn in which the OPFOR breaks Zellbringen, the TN of this check is reduced by 1.)  This cannot stack with any other Zellbringen option.

Track Exits
There are no track exit options for this scenario.

Victory Points:
+1: Each Wolf Mech incapable of escaping
+4: Each Commander captured.
+3: All Wolf Clan units prevented from escaping
-1: Each Watch Mech destroyed or in Forced Withdrawal.
-1: Each pilot hit on a Wolf Clan Commander

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:58:07 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Game 9: Tipping Points
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »

What about 'Mechs that can do 3/5/5?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 03:39:10 PM »

OPFOR Building

The target 1st Wolf Lancers column has been identified in detail by Watch Orbital satellites.  Therefore, their composition is set.

Gargoyle E  (CO Stat line: 2/3; 3 Edge; Sandblaster SPA, +4 Initiative)
Gargoyle H (CO Stat line: 2/3, 1 Edge, Weapon Spec UAC/10, Weapon Spec Hvy Large Laser, +3 Initiative)
Pouncer B (CO Stat line: 2/2, 3 Edge, Jumping Jack, Tactical Genius, +3 Initiative)
Linebacker B (CO stat line: 2/3, 2 edge, Sniper, Tactical Genius, +2 Initiative)
Lobo 2 (CO stat line: 1/2, 1 edge, Weapon Spec: Plasma cannon; +5 Initiative)

One Commander is riding in a Gargoyle, one commander is riding in one of the other three Mech types.  The OPFOR player (on game day, not during OPFOR building) may pick which of those Mechs gets the commanders.  All non-commander mechs are 3/4 pilots.

Yes, everyone will have to proxy.

Reinforcements:
Bring 2 Mechs from the Clan Wolf or HW Clan General reinforcements table.  They must be 60, 65, or 70 ton units.  One must be an OmniMech.  Neither may have a BV2 of greater than 2300.  Both units are 3/4.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:59:36 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »

What about 'Mechs that can do 3/5/5?

Negative. 

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 11:55:12 AM »

How would being dedicated opfor work for this?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »

How would being dedicated opfor work for this?

For this game, it wouldn't work very well.  I'd pair you up with another OPFOR player on a table, and you'd each run half of the Wolf force.  This was the unfortunate tradeoff we had to make to ensure balanced numbers between players and OPFOR.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 01:08:19 PM »

FYI: I have to leave promptly at 5pm for a 6:30 gig I have later on.  If you're using my minis, I'm giving you fair warning to play fast enough that you complete the scenario prior to ~4:45.

As a logical consequence, I'm going to be unable to be available to play Bolt Action this time.  However, I'm going to ask around and see if anyone is free for a dedicated group day either the weekend of November 19th/20th, or in mid-December (~17th or 18th).  Please to consider.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 06:08:14 PM »

OPFOR Building

The target 1st Wolf Lancers column has been identified in detail by Watch Orbital satellites.  Therefore, their composition is set.

Gargoyle E  (CO Stat line: 2/3; 3 Edge; Sandblaster SPA, +4 Initiative)
Gargoyle H (CO Stat line: 2/3, 1 Edge, Weapon Spec UAC/10, Weapon Spec Hvy Large Laser, +3 Initiative)
Pouncer B (CO Stat line: 2/2, 3 Edge, Jumping Jack, Tactical Genius, +3 Initiative)
Linebacker B (CO stat line: 2/3, 2 edge, Sniper, Tactical Genius, +2 Initiative)
Lobo 2 (CO stat line: 1/2, 1 edge, Weapon Spec: Plasma cannon; +5 Initiative)

One Commander is riding in a Gargoyle, one commander is riding in one of the other three Mech types.  The OPFOR player (on game day, not during OPFOR building) may pick which of those Mechs gets the commanders.  All non-commander mechs are 3/4 pilots.

Yes, everyone will have to proxy.

Reinforcements:
Bring 2 Mechs from the Clan Wolf or HW Clan General reinforcements table.  They must be 60, 65, or 70 ton units.  One must be an OmniMech.  Neither may have a BV2 of greater than 2300.  Both units are 3/4.

Are you saying that when the opfor player chooses which of the 5 mechs are piloted by the commanders then the listed SPA's are what is arbitrarily assigned to that mech/pilot and the other 3 mechs drop the SPA's and become 3/4's ?

Game rule #7: What does "opfor must choose to mark for or against auto eject on commander's mechs" mean?  Are you saying make sure you choose to enable or cancel auto eject?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:40:23 PM by Black Omega »
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 09:12:03 PM »

Because this is a rapid-response mission, Mech, ProtoMechs, or vehicles which are incapable of moving at least 4/6/4 or 5/8/0 may not be bid into the mission.  Consider that they don't "exist" for purposes of determining your initial forces from which you bid.  (ie, Rob has 15 mechs, of which 2 units from Alpha Star and 1 unit from Beta star do not meet the movement requirements.  He has 12 Mechs with which to begin bidding, and if he bids away is Alpha Star in its entirety he has bid away 3 points from his original 12.)

Elemental are not covered by this? 

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 09:39:41 PM »

assuming avatars are out if stuck in assault
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »

Are you saying that when the opfor player chooses which of the 5 mechs are piloted by the commanders then the listed SPA's are what is arbitrarily assigned to that mech/pilot and the other 3 mechs drop the SPA's and become 3/4's ?

Er, yes.  The commander rides are chosen by the OPFOR player, and not by the person printing out the force list.  Whichever Mechs get chosen by the OPFOR player, they use the listed commander statlines.  And yes, that was terribly worded.

Rule #7 is there to ensure that EVERYONE who is playing OPFOR actually marks auto-eject on the sheets, because in this game, it really matters.  Again poor wording on my part.  See my defense re: Nov 8th, below.

Elemental are not covered by this? 

I thought I covered that; evidently I did in my head and left it out.  Sorry.  In my defense, the 8th was a very distracting day.

Battle Armor which can ride on a Mech and is doing so at the start of the game is exempt from the minimum movement rule.

assuming avatars are out if stuck in assault

That is correct.  However, as usual, since the scenario rules are keeping an avatar out of play and not the player's decision, you'll still get your logistics bonus as though your avatar is being fielded.

Also, make sure you're at the January game.  The December game is primarily a recon-in-force scenario.  The January game is a direct follow-up to the December game, and I think you - specifically - are going to appreciate it.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 08:38:35 PM »

im excited ..... I cant contain my excitement...no sarcasm...my heavy forces will be of use..i get to hammer down im assuming

I will not be missing any of them if I have a say about it
Die Clanner!!!!

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 02:05:22 AM »

just a off hand question what do we do about mission 8 repairs logistics etc
Die Clanner!!!!