CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Game 10: "All going to pot/whether we like it or not"  (Read 1278 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Game 10: "All going to pot/whether we like it or not"
« on: January 18, 2017, 04:41:28 PM »

2 March, 3072
Shadow
Clan Homeworlds

Katyusha may have burned, but it was not the fault of the Watch.

The Wolf Clan commander captured en route to Katyusha by our loyal agents held out just long enough for disaster to strike.  By the time he'd been broken, the Wolves were already landing their harvest Clusters in the clear LZ set for them by the remainder of the 1st Wolf Lancers.  The word went out to members of every Clan that the Wolves on Strana Mechty were there to deny all other clans of the greatest treasure we Clans possess: the blood legacy of our Founder Kerensky.  The Wolves secured the Kerensky Blood Chapel, and annihilated the entire genetic line before anyone could stop them.

The Clans went mad.  As the word of the Wolf treachery spread, riots and fighting erupted all through the city, and eventually across the planet.  The Blood Chapels of the Invading Clans - Jade Falcon, Ghost Bear, and Snow Ravens - were destroyed and the Inner sphere Clans were forced offworld by the combined efforts of the Homeworld Clans.  Then the bombardments began: the Steel Vipers attempted to Reave the Pershaw bloodname, but Kael Pershaw, head of the Watch, fought the Steel Viper warrior in a Circle of Equals in the Jade Falcon enclave on Strana Mechty.  They fought unaugmented, bidding no weapons but their own bodies; Pershaw killed the Viper with the laser built into his forearm inside his body, and the Vipers went berserk.  They bombarded the enclave into atoms from orbit at this "treachery", and soon other clans followed suit.  Fire Mandrills bombarded the Snow Ravens, and missed shots destroyed the Blood Chapels of the Goliath Scorpions, Steel Vipers, and Star Adders.  Cloud Cobras annihilated the Hell's Horses enclaves and chapels.  Someone - whom it was remains unknown - called in a capital missile strike on Katyusha itself, and the heart of the city burns in a never-ending conflagration as the ore deposits beneath the city ignited.

The fighting has spread beyond Strana Mechty.  It seems that with few exceptions, every Clan fights every other.  The Snake Alliance holds firm in the chaos.  Zellbringen is almost entirely discarded across the Homeworlds.  But through it all, the Clan Watch stands still united, committed to defend the Clans from external and internal threats.  Let the Clans squabble among themselves, for that is our way.  But there appears to be an orchestrating intelligence behind what caused this fighting, for those who possess the knowledge and aptitude to put patterns together.  The intelligence gained by Watch Agents who assaulted the Dark Caste holdings on Lum several years ago appears to have a link to the communiques sent out to members of the Snake Alliance, all appearing to emanate from Clan Coyote space, and using Scientist Caste transmission codes.

Things all point to the world of Shadow.  In late February, the Fire Mandrill's Kindraa Mick-Kline-Kreese-Sainze retreated to their holdings on that world, waiting for the inevitable assault by the Clans whose Blood Chapels had been accidentally destroyed by the Fire Mandrill orbital bombardment.  Clan Coyote's Lambda Galaxy - on paper being only 1.5 Clusters and underequipped to boot - destroyed the Fire Mandrill holdings unilaterally, wiping them out to the last man.  They they turned about and assaulted the Steel Viper 61st Strike Cluster and Goliath Scorpion 2nd Eridani Lancers, wiping them out as well.  This should not have been possible, and there are fragmentary reports from fleeing Scorpion DropShips showing unidentified combat units smashing the last of the Scorpion defenders.  If the Coyotes have developed new technology capable of putting them on par with Clan Technology at a 1-to-3 ratio, then the Watch needs to know about it.  If the Coyotes are the sources of the communiques which drove the Snake Alliance to military action and helped kick off this entire mess, then the Watch needs to know about it.  If the Coyotes are harboring whomever it was who equipped and dispatched Dark Caste members to Lum with the goal of stealing atomics, then the Watch needs to know about it.

And since the Watch needs to know, you need to go: explore in the Shadow. 

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Game 10: "All going to pot/whether we like it or not"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:13:45 PM »

Game Setup

This game is played on four BattleTech mapsheets.  These maps are determined randomly (see TW, pg 263).   The Coyote player has 2 points of Edge available to reroll map results.  Maps MUST be laid out as indicated below, and may be arranged as chosen by the Coyote player (ie, roll for the maps, do the bidding process, then lay out the maps). 

Map Layout
east   [][]......west
 .......[][]   

Deployment

OPFOR
OPFOR units must deploy no more than 8 hexes from the central point of the battlefield (ie, the hex where all 4 maps touch).  The OPFOR must deploy 1d6+6 buildings within this space as well.  There are two types of buildings: 3 level tall, 80 CF buildings (hangars), and 1 level tall 100 CF buildings (ammo bunkers, command centers, etc).  Half of the buildings, rounded up, are hangars.  Be sure they are visually different.  Finally, the OPFOR recieves two portable defense turrets, each with 35 CF, a single LB-10X on a 360-degree mounting, a 4 Gunnery Score, and 2 tons each of cluster and standard ammo (these cannot break or declare zell).  Buildings, turrets, and OPFOR starting units must be deployed prior to Turn 1. 

Clan
The Clan player must nominate (write down, in secret) their deployment board edge.  Clan units enter the board along their chosen board edge during their movement on Turn one.  To be clear, the OPFOR should NOT know your deployment location prior to the roll for Initiative on Turn 1.

Game Rules
1) Neither side will operate under Forced Withdrawal rules.
2) This game will end after Turn 15.
3) The OPFOR player may receive reinforcements.  Beginning on Turn 4, roll 2d6.  On a 9+, the reinforcements arrive.  Each turn after Turn 4 adds +1 to the 2d6 roll. They always arrive on the start of Turn 9 if they have not already done so.
4) Walking to within 3 hexes of a building with a functional Active Probe will immediately identify that building.  Walking within 1 hex of a building without an Active Probe will identify that building.  A unit using Running, Jumping, Flank, or Airborne movement modes cannot ID the building type at all.
5.) Note that Active Probes do not function if within a hostile ECM bubble, and targets inside said bubble cannot be scanned.
6) A non-aerospace unit which has withdrawn off its entry board edge has fled the battle.  It counts for Objective scoring purposes (allowing you to achieve "Hello, HQ" before Turn 15, for example), but it not technically "destroyed".

Warchest Rewards and Costs
Track Cost: 100

Objectives
1) Hello, HQ: Discover the HQ facility AND exit at least half of all forces from the playing area by the end of Turn 15.   +200
2) Completionist: Identify the contents all the warehouses AND destroy or cripple all mobile defending units (defending units which exit the map count as destroyed). +250

Options (you must achieve at least one Objective to receive Option Warchest Payouts)
+100 Complicated Weather: Roll once on the Weather Table (pg.69, TO) and apply the result to the battlefield.
+100 Intelligence Leak: They knew you were coming and could react accordingly.  The OPFOR receives 10 extra 20-point vibrabomb minefields which can be set down to 35 tons.
+100 Heavy Defenses: The OPFOR receives 2 extra gun turrets, and their gunnery scores are set to 3 instead of 4.

Zellbringen (you MUST choose one level of Zellbringen.  If you achieve no Objectives, you receive HALF of the listed payout.  If you achieve at least one Objective, you receive the full payout)
+0 No Zellbringen: Clan forces may engage OPFOR units without regard for Zellbringen (ie, they may combine fire and may use area-effect weapons and physical attacks).  This cannot stack with any other Zellbringen option.
+150: Liberal Zellbringen: Clan forces must engage OPFOR using Zellbringen duelling** rules (ie, they must engage in 1-on-1 [or 1-on-2, 1-on-3, etc] duels with OPFOR units, may not use area-effect weapons, and may not use physical attacks.  At the end of each phase in which the OPFOR combines fire, uses area-effect weapons and/or physical attacks, or breaks LOS for the second turn in a row, the Clan player must roll 2d6.  On an 7+, the Clan player is freed from the confines of Zellbringen for the remainder of the scenario.  For every subsequent turn in which the OPFOR breaks Zellbringen, the TN of this check is reduced by 1.)  This cannot stack with any other Zellbringen option.
+300: Strict Zellbringen: Clan forces must engage OPFOR using Zellbringen duelling rules (ie, they must engage in 1-on-1 [or 1-on-2, 1-on-3, etc] duels with OPFOR units, may not use or deploy area-effect weapons or units which mount area-effect weapons [they must be bid away], and may not use physical attacks.  At the end of each phase in which the OPFOR combines fire, uses area-effect weapons and/or physical attacks, or breaks LOS for the second turn in a row, the Clan player must roll 2d6.  On an 9+, the Clan player is freed from the confines of Zellbringen for the remainder of the scenario.  For every subsequent turn in which the OPFOR breaks Zellbringen, the TN of this check is reduced by 1.)  This cannot stack with any other Zellbringen option.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 05:20:25 PM »

OPFOR Building:

Each player will prepare an OPFOR force under the following Guidelines:

Garrison Star
-This unit must be between 5,500 and 8,000 BV2 (not counting pilots)
-This unit's total mass may be no more than 250 tons
-This unit must contain only BattleMechs and OmniMechs
-All Mech pilots are 3/4
-One Mech pilot is the Star Commander, who has 2 points of available Edge and a +3 Initiative Bonus.

Additionally, will one person please prepare OPFOR Aerospace defense forces?  There should be 3 defense forces prepared.  Each force should consist of:
Air Defense Point
-2 Clan Aerospace fighters with identical configurations
-This force must be between 4,000 and 4,700 BV2 (including external ordnance; free-fall bombs are 12 BV each)
-Pilots are 4/3.  Pilots have zero edge.

All OPFOR units must appear on the Clan Coyote or Homeworld Clan General Availability lists.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »

Clarifications:
1. I assume by the wording for the gun turrets that they may fire on zell engaged duelists without affecting/breaking zell.
2. The wording on Intelligence leak "10 extra 20-point vibrabomb minefields" implies there are existing minefields. I did not see any mention of minefields in the setup, did I miss something? Or is this one of those special BM speaking with opfor players in dark corners rules that slipped?
3. Should the opfor reinforcements be in the opfor building (I suspect not for reasons of dark suspicion, but want to confirm)?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »

Clarifications:
1. I assume by the wording for the gun turrets that they may fire on zell engaged duelists without affecting/breaking zell.

You may assume that, yes.

2. The wording on Intelligence leak "10 extra 20-point vibrabomb minefields" implies there are existing minefields. I did not see any mention of minefields in the setup, did I miss something? Or is this one of those special BM speaking with opfor players in dark corners rules that slipped?

Copy-paste error.  The same thing appeared in a previous scenario, but the OPFOR had minefields in the first place.  Delete the "extra" in this entry.

3. Should the opfor reinforcements be in the opfor building (I suspect not for reasons of dark suspicion, but want to confirm)?

I gave all of the deployment instructions I intended to give.

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »

Logan and I will try to get the opfor aerospace forces for you.  I may have to proxy game pieces.

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:13:56 PM »

Logan and I will try to get the opfor aerospace forces for you.  I may have to proxy game pieces.

We have opfor aerospace printed. (^_^)b

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »

We have opfor aerospace printed. (^_^)b

Thank you.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here