CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: IC: Briefing, 31 January, 2766  (Read 8173 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
IC: Briefing, 31 January, 2766
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:32:50 AM »

Firebase Rorke
1330 hours local
An abandoned, leaky ferrocrete building which a generous soul might call a "mess hall"

"Gentlemen, ladies."  Major Jaffray's Northwind brogue cuts through the light chatter inside the shelter you've been using as a briefing room.  "I assume that you've all been availing yourselves of the facilities our Taurian hosts have so graciously provided us?"  A general round of laughter runs around the room as you all ruefully take in the drab, peeling walls of the abandoned bunker works you have appropriated for yourselves.  As with everything in the military, the invasion of New Vandenburg has been, for Echo Company at least a game of 'hurry-up-and-wait'.  After neutralizing the areodrome on Locke and turning the base over to SLDF security teams, you re-boarded the Gwain and followed the remainder of the invasion force down to the planet.  You were immediately assigned to watch over the flank of the 279th BattleMech Division, at a lonely outpost along a moderately-tall mountain range.  You spent the days in paperwork and Mech repair, taking breaks on occasion to watch the astoundingly large wandering herds of Branth that roamed the Vandenburg plains, and the multitudinous flocks of various avians that seemed on occasion to almost blacken the sky.  Sergeant Kyter, part of 2 Lance's technical staff and an avid bird-watcher, seemed as though he'd found paradise, except for the war on and all.  The movement order your force received this morning had interrupted his cataloging and put him well out of sorts.

"For those of you who weren't in the officer's tent when this whole thing was set up, let me explain what's been going on.  For the last week, if there's a part of New Vandenburg that can be called nowhere, we've been sitting on the ass end of it."  Pause, and polite laughter.  "While we've been watching the 279th's butt, they've been beating themselves bloody on the static defenses that these crazy bastards have set up everywhere.  The idea behind ROUNDHAMMER was that we'd be able to fix the Taurians attention forward and work our way around their defenses, but they've extended their defensive works so far in every direction that there are no flanks to exploit.  So we're working on a new plan, but it seems our hosts aren't going to sit quietly and let us batter through head-on."

"This morning, the 279th committed its entire hither-to untouched right wing in a concentrated effort to overload a portion of the defenses.  However, the Taurians waited until they committed themselves, then started pulling an end-around march on the Bunker Hill boys.  We managed to pick up their movement off a temporary satellite; they're moving via underground tunnels to stave off orbital strikes, but they have to surface for a few kilometers between each tunnel - they aren't all connected.  They're moving to flank the 279th while they're engaged, and we're about the only folks in a position to stop them.  Their line of travel takes them southeast underneath that mountain range there," he gestures to the window, "and almost certainly emerging in the foothills.  From there, we're absolutely positive that they're going to cross the river we followed up here at a small drift - excuse me, ford - about three kilometers from where we stand.  If they manage to bypass us here, they've got a clear shot straight into the rear-right of the 279th and will cut off at least a third of them from our entire supply chain."

"So here's what we're doing.  Colonel Jansfield sent us up that river to hold this base and buy time for the rest of the 741st to load up and hot-drop a blocking force.  They're dealing with some human wave attacks, but the Colonel assured me that they'd have reinforcements here as soon as possible, and we know for sure that the 279th is trying to break contact and redeploy, so what we really have to do is buy time.  We can't hold the base directly  - they'll just overrun us.  It's your fight, Captain, but I recommend a parthian defense; establish a line at the ford and hold it as long as possible, then fall back in a running battle until you get back here.  If we haven't given them a bloody enough nose by then, we hold here as long as we can.  On the bright side, I believe there's some Karnovs incoming with some light artillery, so you'll have some fire support at the ford.  And for reference, I'm calling this one Operation OBAN unless I think of something better."

"I can take questions, but you'd best make it quick.  We've got maybe two hours to set up our positions."

(OOC: I'm out of town Sunday night, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning.  Ask questions Sunday, and I'll do my best to answer them.  If you have a mechanical or OOC question, please refer to the OOC thread for this briefing.  No briefing *.doc this time.  The maps available show rolling plains dotted with small rocky formations and a few trees.  The river isn't all that big, but it's pretty deep and fast except at the ford.  Firebase Rorke itself is a few level 2 buildings, and level 3 Mech hangar, and a large paved area, all surrounded by a low wall.)

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: IC: Briefing, 31 January, 2766
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »

Major, a few questions if I may.
1- Do we know how large a group is coming through the tunnels?
2- Do we have any recon aircraft available to search for the tunnel exit?
3- What kind of artillery are the Karnov's bringing to us?
4- If we spot the tunnel exit can we use the artillery to try to seal it?
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:45:31 PM »

"In order, Jon:

"Somewhere around battalion-size - the fact that they're moving in and out of the tunnel systems is making it difficult to get an exact bead on the numbers."

"There's several tunnel entrances, which are mutually supporting, and we haven't found all of them, we're sure.  Get near one, and you'll find yourself flanked by another.  However, they're all on the other side of the river, which means they have to use the drift."

"I believe a platoon of Snipers from the 108th Infantry is what we're getting, but I'm not sure.  It was more a question of what could be shoved onto the craft on short notice.  Hopefully there will be some other supplies on board as well, just in case - I've specifically asked for some pentaglycerine det-charges - but we won't know till they get here in...30 minutes.  Ish."

"I believe the answer to your last question is answered from the answers to the previous ones.  Too many entrances, and there won't be enough time to site the guns, coordinate spotters, and do a proper job of it before they're on their way out of the tunnels."

"Finally, on the bright side, they won't come at us in a single rush.  They'll probably have to come at us in waves as they manage to exit the tunnels.  If they take the time to form up into a proper battle line, we'll have had enough time to get reinforcements up."

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:28:44 AM »

"Major, how much time do we have to prepare for their arrival?"

"Todd and Herman, you guys scrounge around and see if there is anything we can rig as explosives.  I'd like to have as much help as possible to hold that ford.  Something command-detonated would be perfect, but I'll take whatever we've got.  Nothing would make me happier than..." 

That was as long as Gerald could hold it in, and he turned away for a brief coughing fit.  The last 48 hours had seen his condition grow steadily worse, and while the base med-tech had prescribed some antibiotics, he hadn't turned the corner yet.

"...Excuse me.  As I was saying, nothing would make me happier than seeing a few of these Taurian bug mechs missing their legs.  But be safe, we don't have time to waste scooping up your remains if something goes wrong.  If the major thinks we've got time, take a fast hover out there and set up whatever you can.  Take Joanna with you so you don't get lost."

<OOC>: Will we have pre-spotted hexes for the artillery? 

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »

"I'd wager I can rig something from the pentaglycerine the major mentioned, assuming of course it arrives. Worst case scenario, I can rig ANFO. Just need to appropriate some diesel and fertilizer from the local Cletus brigade.

I'm thinking buried charges in that ford are most efficient. Otherwise we could rig something like an oversized claymore out of boulders.  Hell I'll paint 'Front Toward Locust' on them if it'll help."

(OOG: Demolitions to figure out the most effective blast pattern. Objective is to leg bugs if possible.)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:24:37 PM »

"Gentlemen, I figure we have about sixty minutes "safely", and they'll certainly be boiling out of those tunnels in two-and-a-half hours.  I was going to recommend that Joanna head out and start designating target reference points once the artillery arrives and sites itself.  Downside is that she may get caught out when they come up - upside is that you'll have some predesignated target points."

OOC: Once there is a yes/no on having Joanna scout out TRPs, I'll advance time forward to the artillery deployment and do the demolitions-related stuff.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:34:23 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »

Gerald thought for moment, considering distances and timing, risk versus reward, and trying to clear his head which felt exactly what he imagined a Stinger felt like when it took a gauss round to the chest.

"Alright, our arty should be on-site in about 30 minutes," glanced over at the Major, "...ish.  So I want everyone except Todd and Herman to saddle up now and head out.  That drift's only a couple minutes away, so we'll start scouting the area and Joanna will be in place to start working with the Snipers the moment they're on the ground.  We'll all be there to watch her back, although it shouldn't be necessary, considering how close that ford is, we've got lots of time.  Todd and Herman will join us as soon as they've grabbed any possible demolitions off the Karnovs.

"The Major says we've got two hours to get all setup, which really ought to be enough time to get demolitions placed, arty tracked in, possibly leaving time for a very short nap before their first pickets arrive."  He grinned widely, "Of course, anyone caught napping will be cleaning the latrine for the next week."

"The rest of us will also see if we can find some good spots to take cover, let's hit the first wave of these Taurians with enough force to make the rest of them think twice about whether or not they really want to keep fighting."

<OOC>: To the GM: Considering the timeline you've provided, it seems like we'd have time to use Hidden Unit rules, for part of (or even all) of our force.  Is that the case?  Can I use Tactics/land to possibly spot any further weaknesses in the enemy plan, or get better Intel regarding arrival times?  Could Steve use Science/Engineering to possibly rig up some sort of physical trap at or near the drift?  I'm assuming a 3-level covered pit is likely not doable in our timeline, but a high-tension wire across a couple hexes hidden by brush might be, and might at least cause an extra PSR in those hexes?  Just brainstorming here, since I'm new to the whole RP element; trying to find ways to use the system, but not looking to abuse it.

<OOC>: To the 741st:  That's it for me, I've got work to finish up and packing to do and we leave tomorrow, so I don't plan to post anymore for this scenario.  When it comes to my posts in these IC threads, I'm basically looking to add ideas and a little RP, but my intention isn't for anyone to think I'm forcing their PC into a certain course of action.  I hope no one is thinking "I wish this jerk would stop telling my character what to do," because that's not my intention at all.   :)  Wish I could be there Saturday!  See you in June.

Juniantara

• What do you mean my PC died again?
  • Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 02:10:38 PM »

Sir, I will be happy to scout ahead.
<ooc> Does any of this need to happen before game, or will I do the scouting/spotting on Sat.?</ooc>

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 03:39:02 PM »

MSgt Schwepps has walked a trench around his freshly repaired Ostroc, waiting for whatever may be coming in on some choppers. This interminable waiting is just to much. He wants to get out there and get at these enemies of the Star League. Oh well, a few more laps and test out that new arm on his ride to make sure the techs got it right.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »

Sir, I will be happy to scout ahead.
<ooc> Does any of this need to happen before game, or will I do the scouting/spotting on Sat.?</ooc>

Nope - scouting will happen via rolls from your character sheet.  And it's noted you're scouting and helping the artillery sight-in.

Everyone, I'll have what's happening post later tonight (10ish); Maria has to go to work and it's HARD to type with a baby on your lap.

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »

"No sense sitting around being useless," Duncan mutters under his breath before running forward and toggling his jump jets to clear the river, "I'll help Sergeant El Amin plot artillery targets and try to look for some decent ambush points, so we can mow down those vermin right as they come out of their tunnels."

(OOC: Tactics/Land check to aid in plotting artillery and finding advantageous fighting positions for the coming battle?)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 01:14:51 AM »

Sure enough, in approximately 25 minutes, you hear the droning sound of rotors in the distance.  The firebase becomes a flurry of activity as the craft set down and begin unloading artillery, pallets of ammunition, and already-sweating gunners.  Todd and Herman park a spare ATV next to one of the VTOLs and scurry back and forth from the rotorcraft to the four-wheeler carrying 30kg sacks of pentaglycerine charges and the occasional box of detonators.  No-one would have noticed, except for Todd cackling loudly, but any harsh words the crews may have had for the two MechWarriors is quickly quashed at the sight of an Olive-drab Griffin with captain's bars painted below the canopy, pointing its PPC directly at them and shaking its left index finger admonishingly.  They finish loading the ATV in mere moments, and zip off to the back end of the hangar where the rest of the base gives them room to work.  Lots of room.

In about 20 minutes, the towed artillery pieces are emplaced behind sandbags and flanked by stacks of ammunition and charges.  The four Sniper towed guns elevate as the crews start the laborious process of manually dialing-in the approximate coordinates of the river.  It is painfully obvious that the crews miss the convenience of an organized GPS satellite network as they pore over maps and gun captains hunch in corners pecking away equations on their noteputers.

Joanna and Duncan form off into a scouting duo.  Duncan gives a general overhead view and a detailed look at the muddy banks of the river, while Joanna personally investigates the nooks and crannies of the terrain that the fast-flying LAM can only bypass.  (Duncan assisting Joanna using Tactics/Land: TN 9, rolls 6+1=7.  MoF: 2.  No benefit to Joanna.  Joanna coordinates with artillery crews and sets up pre-plotted firing positions in a hurry.  Artillery (untrained dual-attribute): TN 21, rolls 12+11+1=24.  MoS=3.).  At the end of the time you have in which to work, you've managed to set up a half-dozen good sites where you feel confident the artillery can hit (GM note: only 3 may be within 4 hexes of the ford)..  They've also managed to bring back some interesting intel: the river banks (and bottom, presumably), are dammed muddy.  Landing from a jump within the floodplain of the river (about 90 meters to either side) is a dicey proposition at best.  The bad news is that there's a series of debris; rocks and shoals, about a kilometer further upstream.  It MAY be deep enough to allow for a safe crossing by the Taurians.  It's up to you if you want to redeploy to cover that area as well.

Todd and Hermann are gone for the best part of an hour.  (Hermann Demolitions test to assist Todd in creating improvised mines: TN 9.  Rolls 8+4+1-3-1=11.  MoS: 2.  Adds +2 to Todd's Check.  Todd Demolitions test.  TN 9.  Rolls 10+4+1+2-3-1=13.  MoS: 4.)  When they return, they have enough pentaglycerine in waterproof containers to cover 4 hexes in improvised command-detonated 8-point minefields.

You've just finished deploying the mines and returning to your positions in your Mechs (will be resolved on Saturday) when you see a massive cloud of dust appear across the river, punctuated by the occasional red or green flash of laser fire.  Zooming in, you see, running toward you...

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 12:25:47 PM »

Major, Sir, which direction? Upriver, downriver, across the river, or behind us.