CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IC: 15 Jan, 2767 - March 28th, 2767  (Read 2494 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
IC: 15 Jan, 2767 - March 28th, 2767
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »

15 January, 2767:  It's been almost a full day since the battle against the Rim Worlds naval units, and you finally allow yourself the luxury of sitting back in your jump seat with a sigh.  The 5-minute klaxon sounds, a harsh bray in your ears.  Five minutes and you'll be out of the Sol system, on your way through pirate points and uninhabited systems with your rag-tag little fleet to the meetup point.  Kentares is more of a vacation spot than a military camp, but there's far worse places you could be gathering.  For the last time, you check to ensure your seat restraints are fastened.  Looking to either side you can see the other members of Echo Company doing the same.  There's an empty seat between Banzai and Franklin, left open for Joanna out of habit.  It looks lonely there.  Like there's a piece of you missing.  There's a small service planned for tomorrow, during the recharge downtime.  It's a hell of a thing that it's taken so long for all of you to get a chance to mourn, but you know that she'd prefer it this way.  A quiet, simple saying of goodbyes.  The sixty-second warning klaxon goes off, and the strobe underneath begins to flash.  It's what she'd have wanted - she never was much of one for elaborate ceremony.  Thirty seconds.  The deck plates beneath your feet begin to vibrate as the Allegiance's jump drive powers up.  Your palms begin to sweat just a bit at the sensations you know are coming - being ripped out of reality and deposited back into it thirty lightyears from where you started may not be a 'new' sensation, but it's certainly not something you can get blase about.  The warning light stays on now.  Ten seconds.  You're leaving the Sol System now.  You're leaving home.  How long will it be until you see it again?  Will you ever see it aga -

The Allegiance jumps.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:42:43 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: IC: 15 Jan, 2767 - March 20th, 2767
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:27:44 PM »

March 12th, 2767:  Six weeks.  Six weeks aboard the Ajax and the Allegiance.  Six weeks of metallic-tasting air and coppery water.  Six weeks without seeing feeling a breeze not generated by an air circulation system, or hearing running water not forced through a tube by pressurized air.  Six weeks of jumping and hiding and hot-charging and jumping and hiding some more, never sure if the fleet was going to end up in a chance encounter with RWR WarShips or a compromised SDS grid if your jump went wrong.  Your ships are even more crowded now; two weeks ago the Thunderer blew a hydrogen seal while powering up for a jump.  The captain SCRAM'd the jump drive and managed to save everyone on board, but you simply didn't have the drydock necessary to do the repairs.  Everyone aboard that grand old ship crammed aboard the Emden and Allegiance, and you abandoned her in the void around a planetless F5-class star eight light-years anti-spinward of Mallory's World.  Her location and orbit are marked in Emden's log, and Admiral Rue quietly insisted that he'd be back for her.  You believed him.

Then the Canopians disappeared.  You're not sure what happened, only that they jumped along with the rest of the fleet, but never materialized at the jump point.  Admiral Rue suspected that they had had enough and finally broke away for home.  You find it hard to blame them - this wasn't their fight.  They'd lost a lot of people helping you get out of the Sol system, and the Calamity Jane was the only ship they had left fully fight-worthy regardless.  You wished them luck on their trip.  The Periphery was a long way away.

But now you've made it.  After six weeks of hiding and jumping, and bad thing after bad thing, you can look out of the Ajax's porthole and see sunlight through a brilliant blue sky dappled with ivory clouds.  The ship's retros kick in, and a shudder runs through the craft as she touches down on a vast expanse of tarmac amid dozens of other egg-shaped DropShips, and for the first time in over a month, the vibrations of deck plates beneath your feet stop as she powers down.  You've made it to Kentares IV. 

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: IC: 15 Jan, 2767 - March 20th, 2767
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »

March 14th-28th, 2767:

These two weeks have passed in a flurry of activity.  Not ten minutes after disembarking from the Ajaxs, you found yourself in a debriefing tent being intensely questioned by on General Kimberly Trahn.  According to her, this is nothing unusual - there has been so little information escape the borders of the Terran Hegemony that everyone who makes it out gets a personal interview.

So far, that's been about nine thousand people, all in the next best thing to a refugee camp set up on the grassy southern end of the starport, opposite the city.  Nine thousand men and women - about two and  half combined-arms regiments.  While it was true that much of the SLDF was with General Kerensky helping pacify the Periphery, a conservative estimate of the units stationed in Terran Hegemony space would have been a solid 30 Divisions and another dozen independent regiments.  Half a million troops, and all that has escaped was a bare nine thousand.  Most of whom escaped with the clothing on their back and perhaps a sidearm.

You're billeted into a series of quonset huts bordering the starport.  General Trahn has been busily reassigning personnel from one unit into another to try and compose something resembling order in the camp.  You say your goodbyes to the personnel - now friends - who helped make up your ad hoc unit as they are reassigned to one job or another (Major Stastny departs within an hour of being billeted with you; military intelligence personnel are in critically short supply and every hand is needed to help piece together the intelligence gleaned from escapees).  Over the next day or so, it becomes clear that your company is perhaps the single largest single cohesive unit in the entire camp, and certainly the largest single unit who has equipment.  As such, General Trahn tells you that Echo Company will be her "go-to" unit for anything that needs doing; she's sure that other units may need extraction from Rim Worlds assaults in the coming days, and you'll be her first choice.  To that end, she informs you that she'll be stripping some of your equipment and replacing it with slightly heavier gear stripped from other refugees so that you'll be more able to endure heavy engagements. 

She also gives Captain Freund access to her personnel files and tells him to fill out the remainder of Echo's TO&E.  Freunde disappears behind a desk for a day or so, and on March 22nd, the first of your new people report to your huts, gearbags in tow.  Having the opportunity to drill together for a few months is a luxury you can't afford.  ON March 28th, you're summoned to General Trahn's tent for a briefing.

"Echo Company, what we've been waiting for has finally happened.  We've gotten a communique from Ozawa that a Star League unit - the 197th Royal Regiment - needs extraction.  It looks like they tried the same thing you did; make for the starport and get offworld, but they got bogged down and had to pull out of the city, with only enough time to send the HPG message.  Their message indicates that they'll be falling back into the desert spires to fight a guerilla war, and in the general direction of Diplan Mechyards, using the factory as a final redoubt if necessary to both replentish their own strength and deny its production to the Rim Worlders.  You're going to get them out.

"Here's the plan.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:50:28 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: IC: 15 Jan, 2767 - March 28th, 2767
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »

"Here's the plan.  The FSS Allegiance hasn't recieved orders yet from Davion command regarding an official Federated Suns position on the Amaris Coup. Her commander, in the absence of orders, is willing to assist our cause until he recieves orders to the contrary.  Therefore, you'll be boarding a DropShip and heading up to the Allegiance, who is alrady taking on supplies and support craft.  The Allegiance's batteries are charged and I've already sent out a communique to preposition a mobile recharger along your jump path in an uninhabited system.  That will cut the travel time down to three weeks.  I'm afraid we can't get you there any faster.

Once you've made system, it'll be on you to extract the 197th and exfiltrate the system.  Assuming they've fallen back to the factory at that point, I would suggest the Allegiance lay down a circular bombardment around the facility to drive back any attackers.  That should give you time to land, load the 197th - or what's left of them - and take off.  The final call will, of course, be yours, Captain Freund.  Ozawa doesn't have a defense grid, but Diplan does subcontract for the manufacture of a few areospace fighter frames, so the planet has a fair number of airbases.  You'll have a full load of DropShips aboard the Allegiance - a Fortress for your unit and a pinch of artilery support, a Vengeance carrier to give you air support, and a pair of Overlords to exfiltrate the 197th.  

You leave ASAP.  Any questions?"

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »

Well Ma'am, there's always the obvious questions.  What was the last status of the 197th?  Were they still mostly intact?  What kind of unit were they?  And did they have any information on the force opposing them?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »

"If I had the information available, believe me, I'd give it to you.  The 197th Royals are a Dragoon regiment, part of the 48th Royal BattleMech Division, I Corps, 1st Army.  Their list strength is nearly two thousand souls and 124 Mechs - but I'm positive there's no way that you're going to save that many.  From what we gathered from the HPG transmission, they were under fire while making it, so they mainly gave us positional data and where they'd try to be when rescue came.  In three weeks, they could lose a lot more people.  We've already left too many people behind to die over the last few months - I'm not about to leave these people to die without even trying to save them.  I trust there's no problem with my decision?"

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »

MSgt. Schwepps here. Do we know if the 197th has any communication gear at their disposal? If so, before making planetfall, we could send a message letting them know that we are on our way in and our intentions. Might not be a good thing if they are still outside and defending if we have the navy lay down some smack. They could possibly pull back and prepare as best as possible to have as many as they could to be ready for transport off the rock.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »

Anatoli took a long look at the system display board and decided to ask a bothering question.  "I assume we're going to be jumping into the system rather closely.  Should we assume that those who cannot handle the rigors of hyperspace travel well will be keeping vomit bags handy?"

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »

MSgt. Schwepps here. Do we know if the 197th has any communication gear at their disposal? If so, before making planetfall, we could send a message letting them know that we are on our way in and our intentions. Might not be a good thing if they are still outside and defending if we have the navy lay down some smack. They could possibly pull back and prepare as best as possible to have as many as they could to be ready for transport off the rock.

"They may, but it's equally as likely that they've changed their comm codes and IFF codes for security reasons.  We just won't be able to tell until you're there; you'll have to react on the fly.  On the bright side, I understand you've got a brilliant commo officer in your unit - if they have changed the codes, I'm sure that he'll be able to figure something out."

Anatoli took a long look at the system display board and decided to ask a bothering question.  "I assume we're going to be jumping into the system rather closely.  Should we assume that those who cannot handle the rigors of hyperspace travel well will be keeping vomit bags handy?"

"Good guess, Sergeant.  Yuo may have time to recover, if you're like me and have a pesky inner ear problem from jumping.  But it'll be a near-runt thing.  You'll be on a time limit, after all - there's going to be areojocks fighting and dying to give you time on the ground."

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »

Can we requisition any drop pods for hot entry, or will we have to show our mechs out the heavy vee doors on the Fortress?  One door seems few with there being so much possible areo opfor.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »

"Captian, I am new to this unit, so I do not know the supply situation as well as others.  Will our roster slot E34 remain empty for the time being?  I'm sure there's a survivor from another unit we can pick up to round the roster out"

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 02:36:33 PM »

"Captian, I am new to this unit, so I do not know the supply situation as well as others.  Will our roster slot E34 remain empty for the time being?  I'm sure there's a survivor from another unit we can pick up to round the roster out"

Just to make sure there's no confusion, the E24 slot is reserved for another player - Andy has first right of refusal.  All of this is OOG.  Let the IG justification commence.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »

Marshall looks at the newcomer suspiciously, "Orlov isn't it?  Have some respect man. We just got back from an operation where we lost one of our own. Think of it as the missing man. So you ever drop with TDS symptoms before?  You're in for a treat if it's your first time."

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »

Marshall looks at the newcomer suspiciously, "Orlov isn't it?  Have some respect man. We just got back from an operation where we lost one of our own. Think of it as the missing man. So you ever drop with TDS symptoms before?  You're in for a treat if it's your first time."

Orlov looks somewhat irritated at the Sergeant down the briefing table, somewhat perplexed.  "You are aware good comrade that many similar companies aren't just running at just the missing man, but the missing lance, or even lancesw, if they are even alive.  Let the fighter jocks worry about their missing man nonsense.  We have men to *save*."

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »

"Forgive me tovarisch, but other units issues don't directly impact me. Then again being he jumped up grunt that I am, I must have bought in to the band of brothers concept. We've been fighting short handed for the better part of a year now. Let's bring those poor saps home. At least what's going to be left of them in a couple months."
Pages: [1] 2