CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Written campaign into a temporary corner  (Read 1328 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Written campaign into a temporary corner
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:29:55 AM »

OK folks, here's what's taking so dammed long.

I'm trying to make us more or less compliant with the Liberation of Terra books.  That is, those volumes don't get down to the regimental level of operations, so we've got lots of freedom to do what we want.  Where I've run into trouble are in the dates.  Specifically, I'd deliberately dropped you guys into a group that would wait until the second wave of the Rim Worlds Invasion to hit Apollo.  See, I said to myself, "self, Apollo is barely two jumps away from the Lyran border, so it's a target that's gonna get hit right quick".  You guys drop in, help blow up the planet over 2-3 missions, and we're ready to start the march to Terra.

Problem is, for SOME reason, Apollo is the basically the LAST Rim Worlds planet to be taken.  Kerensky doesn't send troops to it until, like, late 2768.  And I don't want to have you guys sitting around for a year in-game with your proverbial thumbs jammed up your equally-proverbial asses.  But I was so specific with the game fiction up until now that I can't resolve this issue without at least asking you guys your opinions.  I see this as all of us writing collaberative fiction, using the game as a vehicle - and it's not cool of me to just impose my will upon you (well, more than I do by just being the GM) without your input.

So, how would you guys like this problem resolved?  Say, "screw canon" and go ahead with the invasion of Apollo more quickly than it historically happened?  Wait around to "catch up" to the date?  Something else?

Once we're past the Rim Worlds campaign, it's clear storyline sailing until Terra is freed.  Assuming you all live that long.  But right now, I'm just kinda stuck.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Written campaign into a temporary corner
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:55:23 AM »

Just bump the story line to the date you want. Fill in the years with fluff, we have been farmed out to help with training other troops; or whatever would make good filler. Then we jump back into campaign and are on our way.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »

Yea, honestly I'm cool with whatever. I'm not concerned about whether or not the dates are canon, or the locations either. This book was just released, so trying to shoe-horn the campaign into it may only be possible with an application of handwavium.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »

Well, we were on Terra, and we do have intel for the intel for the intel guys to go over, and at least two written reports should elicit intense scrutiny on a follow up interview. 

I am for a time jump of doing something else for a year, and then hitting Apollo and onward from there. 

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

PM inbound.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »

PM also inbound.
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »

If you already have a bunch of stuff planned out for us attacking Apollo, then I would say just do a time jump.  If you don't have a bunch of stuff planned out for Apollo, then I would say have us get attached to a different group of military units that hits a different planet as part of the first wave.  I would also be completely fine with you just changing the date Apollo was attacked.  Lastly, you could always take the Operation Bird Dog approach and have our company inserted onto Apollo a few months in advance of the main assault in order to do general commando/raiding stuff.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »

I would prefer to not have to keep logistics again, so I am against the commando idea.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »

why not have like a flash back type ordeal say like while we were on the way to planet these missions were fought and this is what happened or play them out and alter from then on so we can stay cannon just an idea i dont mind either way i mean we have been off game for a few months now so its not like we couldnt say we waited out that time anyway lol
Die Clanner!!!!