CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: IC: January 31st-March 9th, 2777  (Read 8614 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
IC: January 31st-March 9th, 2777
« on: May 11, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »

<fluff>

The 422nd has dug into Odessa like a tick.  General Al-Nasr is sending an two Regiments of the 279th Division in an underwater assault against the port city while lighter elements make a diversionary assault against the fortified lines to the north.

SLDF Intelligence has also learned of a high-value individual, a weapons scientist kidnapped from a complex on the North American continent.  This target has managed to gain brief radio contact with Corps HQ and verify his identity (dropping WO Banzai's name helped).  Aside from your diversionary mission, the job of Delta and Echo Companies will be to extract that individual from the bunker in which he is being held captive.  There are other civilians in the bunker; extraction is desirable, but not necessary.

ALL DAMAGE IS REPAIRED TO DAMAGED (but not destroyed) SLDF MECHS.  YOU GET 1 POINT OF EDGE BACK FROM THE PREVIOUS SCENARIO.

Scenario:  Extraction

north
[][][]
[][][]
south

Echo and Delta Companies will deploy on the northern maps, while the 422 forces deploy on the southern maps.

Special Rules:
1) Fortifications: the 422 has constructed a series of heavy fortifications at the edge of the city.  Some of these have civilians chained to them (Liberation of Terra Vol 2, pg 72).  Either the fortifications or the defending units within each fortification need to be destroyed.  Forts provide cover "as buildings" from three directions (north, north-west, north-east) and from above; therefore to engage the defending unit directly, fire must come through an open hexside.   Their CF is 150.  Each fortification has two weapon emplacements; each fires directly forward as from a BattleMech.  Direct fire at the fortification will damage the unit inside as though it were within a building.  A random weapon emplacement will fail at 100 CF, and at 75 CF.

There are 2 fortifications on each southern map, (center of the table); six in total.  Fortifications mount 1 medium autocannon turret, and 1 long-range missile turret with Artemis.  These MAY fire indirectly.

2) Extraction: the target building is known (lower-center map), and has a CF of 90.  Pilots must dismount and enter the building, neutralize the defending infantry, and extract the target (via BattleMech jump seat or whatever means they can find).  Dismounting requires the Mech to be stationary, and the pilot is considered dismounted in the End Phase.  Dismounted pilots will be moved to a separate map.  Dismounted pilots may move a number of hexes per turn (on the new map) equal to their BOD+STR.  Each action they take may involve moving and X (X may be shooting, talking, moving again, etc).  As a reminder, personal weapons deal 1 point of damage plus your Small Arms MoS on the attack roll.  Your SLDF Cooling vests function as armor and will negate the first 1 point of damage from each attack; you take damage on your MechWarrior Damage Track.  You will receive 1 complete set of actions at the end of the Movement Phase on the BattleTech-scale table, and 1 complete set of actions during the Physical Attack Phase on the BattleTech-scale table.  Once you have eliminated all of the defenders, or moved adjacent to the target, you leave this secondary map.  The next turn, you may board available Mechs in adjacent BattleTech hexes.

Alternatively, you may use Mech-scale weapons to rubble the building, hope you don't kill the target, and extract him that way.  Every 10 Mech-scale damage you deal will kill the target on a concealed 2d6 roll of 2,3, or 4.  Once the building is rubbled, you must make a Sensor Ops checks on a TN 12 (+1 per 1 hex distance from the building) to locate the target; this roll takes place during the End Phase.  You must then remain stationary for 1 complete turn while he clambers aboard.

ENEMY UNITS MAY NOT FIRE AT AN IDLING (empty) MECH OR THEIR PILOTS UNLESS THEY HAVE NO OTHER LEGAL TARGETS TO SHOOT AT

OBJECTIVES:
SLDF
1) Destroy the enemy: 1 VP per RWR fortification destroyed; +1 VP per every 4th enemy Mech destroyed
2) Divert the enemy: Each turn after the 6th you have at least 8 active units (including idling units) on the board, you gain +1 VP.
3) Extract the target: If you retrieve the target, you gain +6 VP.  Getting him off the board completely will earn you an additional +4 VP.

RWR
1) Destroy the enemy: 1 VP per enemy unit destroyed
2) Preserve your defenses: 2 VP per fortification remaining on the table at game-over.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: IC: January 31st-March 9th, 2777
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »

"Holy Bat-Crap Major!  Is command going to tell us who it is?  When did it happen?  Did they capture anyone else?"  Questions multiply in his brain faster than light as Banzai tries to remain calm and patient ;).  "Let me see if I have any records and photos on my laptop." [ooc: Banzai makes a computer check for any info he has in his possession.]  "I will pass around anything I have to the team going inside."  

"Major, I've just had a thought.  Do we have any armored infantry at our disposal?  Perhaps it is time to revisit and improve upon the LAM/armored infantry delivery system."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:04:17 PM by Black Omega »
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 05:31:02 AM »

[ooc: Banzai makes a computer check for any info he has in his possession.]  

Computer Check, TN 6, -4 (circumstance bonus), +10 (information is 10 years out of date), -1 (INT bomus) = TN 11.  Roll 2d6+3 = Roll 9+3 = 12.  MoS: 1

You bring up a series of files that you haven't accessed in a long, long time.  Grimacing, you control for the ages of the science team, knowing that many of them couldn't have survived over a decade trapped in an isolated weapons lab, with poor medical care and surviving on MREs and whatever they can scavenge.    Understanding that the HVI was captured outside, you believe that means that whomever was captured was taken during the act of scavenging for supplies or news of the invasion, which narrows the field even further; few of the team had any experience in such an activity.  With a heavy heart, you realize that probably a quarter to a third of the team has likely passed away during Amaris's regime.

With that information, you can narrow the field to five potential candidates. 

1) Andrew Higgins.  Nautical/areospace engineer.  Avid outdoorsman and hunter.  His passion was attempting to create a Land-Air-Ship with better performance characteristics than a mere WiGE vehicle.  Would be in his mid-50's by now.

2) Percy Hobart.  Armored warfare expert and ex-tanker.  Would be in his late 80s, but certainly cantankerous enough to both have survived this long and have broken free from his captivity long enough to make his transmission. 

3) Dr. Peregrine Watson.  You recall talking to her during your escape from Terra.  She'd be in her 40s now; though you're unsure if her former status as a project manager would make her more or less likely to be put on duty outside.  You cannot recall her having skills applicable to such an activity.

4) Rebecca Buck.  One of the lead AsTechs on the LAM Reconditioning Team.

5) Roger Bannon.  Security chief.

Black Omega

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:19:01 PM »

[ooc: ;D]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:23:19 PM by Black Omega »
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »

Hanney looks around, and his eyes seem to fix on calihan.  "I know that I won't be of any use in the building, but if people need help with the requisition paperwork for better arms I am more than willing to lend a hand.  I don't know of anything else to do, but my sensor talents may come into play on the actual field."

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

Marshall seems to calculate odds for a few minutes. "Padre, lots of flashbangs are in order for this. If we have to clear room to room a building by ourselves we need all the edge we can get. Tear gas and respirators might even be a good call."

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »

Yamamori agrees with Marshall's recommendation.   "I'd suggest adding some shaped charges and security bypass equipment as well. Gas masks enough for all in the extraction team plus a few spares. I've got a sneak suit as part of my kit. I'm not sure if giving one to the doctor would be more of a help or hindrance. I would recommend including a few extra sets of comm gear as well as a tracking device set to a frequency that our team inside and out can monitor. Jumping frequencies would be preferred for security."

He considers for a moment. "Primary ride for the doctor shouldn't be one of the extraction team members'.  I'd rather not loose too much time getting him into a cockpit.   We should also have a couple of backups planned as well."

Yamamori looks at the others. "Besides Marshall and I, who's going in?"

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »

Marshall grunts an affirmative noise at Yamamori's additions. "Commo wins wars. I'd suggest Callahan and possibly Hawker for this. We've cleared rooms together before and have the most rifle time."

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »

Yamamori nods at Marshall's recommendations.  "Both.  We'll want the medic."  Kenji falls back into his usual quiet observation allowing the more experienced soliders to take the lead.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 06:05:50 PM »

"Sir how many people are going in?"
Die Clanner!!!!

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »

Schwepps, chimes in. " I do have some demo experience, if needed".

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 09:22:19 PM »

"Its nice to be wanted", Hawker chuckles.  "An emergency collapsable stretcher, or a couple of tent poles and some tarp at the very least would be a good idea.  We don't know what kind of shape our VIP is in, and if we start chucking teargas and flashbangs at them we may need to cart them out anyway.  Do we have orbital images of where we are going?  They might show if there's anything around that we could evac civis with or to." 

Hawker turns to the brass. "Major, LT Reed, have you found rides yet?"

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 09:28:06 PM »

Marshall quirks an eyebrow, "You'll note flashes and CN instead of frags. I can show some restraint. But a stretcher isn't a bad idea. How many can we spare for this?"

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »

"Ok, in that case you can carry the potentially 80 year old angry vomiting man on your back.  As for numbers, I'd say no more than 4 or 5 but I'll defer to you're judgement.  How many do you think we need to storm a bunker like this?  We've lost two mechs so far, so we're understrength as it is.  We're the diversion, they'll be coming after us."  Hawker thinks for a moment, "Does anyone remember how Delta looked?"

Black Omega

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »

"Major, I have another idea.  Does anyone remember late 20th century history?  They had a way to string a rope across a couple of poles and the person being picked up was wearing a harness attached to the rope.  A low flying aircraft with a hook came down and snatched the rope, thereby yanking the person into the air.  They also did the same with a rope on a balloon.  The rope was snagged by a plane with a "Y" mounted to the front.  Of course if the extraction gets really hairy I can always do the pickup like I did for Orlov."

Banzai gets quiet for a moment, deciding whether or not he should mention what was now on his mind.

"Guys, its been 10 years since we left.  The odds that anyone we knew survived are slim at best.  I think we can't overlook the possibility that this is a trap.  Please be careful.  Our rescuee, my friend, may also have been turned.  Here [ooc: see previous post for info on possible identities] is everything including 10 year old photos [ooc: photos, Rob?] that I have narrowed down about who we are going after.  But before we go I'm going to do a couple computer searches.  1--to get blueprints for the building to cover all of the bases.  And 2--I want to know the location of one General Anton Babcock."

[ooc: Banzai dives into the local internet to attempt to find public records for the "building" in question (entrances, sewers, basements, electrical, phone lines, the works)  Then, probably more tricky, hack into the Rimworlds Military net to find where Gen Babcock is stationed.  He might need Hawker's help with cryptography on this one.]  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:04:05 PM by Black Omega »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4