CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Post-game: Jan 15, 2779  (Read 1397 times)

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Post-game: Jan 15, 2779
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »

So, as I said at the game, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Rob and Mike especially, thanks for all the hard work putting it together.

I did have a question that came up, as I was perusing the QS rules in SO again this morning. SO states regarding combat (page 404):

The acting player chooses a target for an Element (and how
much of its Overheat Value the attacker will use, if applicable; see
Overheating, p. 236), resolves combat for that Element, and then
moves on to another available Element and repeats the process.

Now, this isn't how we resolved combat, we did it the Battleforce way (which is declaring all targets at the beginning of the phase). The QS method would have resulted in far more casualties, since once a unit died, remaining elements could turn their fire to a new target.

I was just curious if this was intentional or not. I was also wondering if you anticipate Alpha Strike resolving combat in the QS method or BF method (obviously, some may not be able to answer that due to NDA, but I thought I'd ask in case this has been confirmed already by tptb).

It would've been interesting to see the reinforcement mechanic used with this combat method, since it's possible that so much would've died each turn that you couldn't bring your force back up to it's maximum each turn. Not saying it would've been better, just different, and I can see where that method really fits the idea of "Quick Strike". How does this match up to other skirmish games, such as WH40k, or Warmachine? Do other miniatures games generally declare all fire first, or handle each unit in order?

Rob, which method was used during the QS game you played at Origins?

Thanks!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Post-game: Jan 15, 2779
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:44:05 PM »

You're asking questions almost entirely under an NDA right now, given that it's a discussion about an upcoming product.

However, what we used at Origins was what we used at the game table on Saturday.