CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Transition Into Darkness  (Read 2999 times)

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Transition Into Darkness
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »

Lady and gentlemen,

I have a question for all of you.  As we close AR, I was wondering (from an in-character perspective) which characters are going to choose to join General Kerensky on the Exodus?  For my part, Banzai will not be leaving.  He has unfinished business to attend to in the Capellan March and dreams of the future [NAIS  ;) ;)].

This doesn't mean you are choosing to play in my campaign over Travis'.  This is in-character only and part of my preparations for the campaign.

Thanks
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Transition Into Darkness
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »

Msgt. Schwepps is staying on Terra. He has future plans in something called "Word of Blake".

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:47:37 PM »

Good question.  Under the assumption that Yamamori survives the conflict it seems fitting that his family also survives as a final reflection of his change in luck.  The family has a military history with the SLDF and the TH and remaining on their home planet of Earth would seem to be a great weight.  So I expect that he and his family would join the Exodus. 

It's unclear at least from the Battletech Wiki whether all 803 names have been defined yet.  The note there says:

"List of Bloodnames, Including Non-Exclusive

Below is a list of greater than 450 identified Clan bloodnames, listed in alphabetical order and unsorted by Clan or service. Please note that 803 bloodlines existed immediately after Operation Klondike, and through Reaving and (rare) additions, 682 exist prior to the Annihilation of Clan Smoke Jaguar"

The site lists 484 Bloodnames still active and another 58 eliminated.  How many undefined names depends on the specific Clan.  If there's a better source that's more complete I'd appreciate it.

If there's a complete list, I've considered what that means with regard to the lack of a Yamamori bloodline within the 800 from the clans and I see a couple of options.  The first is to simply not worry about it as we're not trying to write cannon here.  The alternative is for Yamamori to change his name.  As the younger son, he's not as critical to carrying on the family name.  I can easily see circumstances where his mother's relatives have died and there is no one to carry on that name.  To honor their sacrifice and to ensure their name lives on in blood relatives, he would take her name.  At that point any Japanese last name of the bloodlines without a cannon founder becomes a viable option to have been Kenji Yamamori.

As a variation on the theme he could end up marrying and taking his wife's name, again providing a way to change names while remaining true to the character.  Both options works within the scope of things.

This is my current thinking, though that could change depending on what happens over the next couple of sessions.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »

Steve, assuming he survives the next two sessions, Duncan Reed will not be joining Aleksandr Kerensky on The Exodus.

It's unclear at least from the Battletech Wiki whether all 803 names have been defined yet.  The note there says:
ould change depending on what happens over the next couple of sessions.

"List of Bloodnames, Including Non-Exclusive

Below is a list of greater than 450 identified Clan bloodnames, listed in alphabetical order and unsorted by Clan or service. Please note that 803 bloodlines existed immediately after Operation Klondike, and through Reaving and (rare) additions, 682 exist prior to the Annihilation of Clan Smoke Jaguar"

The site lists 484 Bloodnames still active and another 58 eliminated.  How many undefined names depends on the specific Clan.  If there's a better source that's more complete I'd appreciate it.

If there's a complete list, I've considered what that means with regard to the lack of a Yamamori bloodline within the 800 from the clans and I see a couple of options.

Hat, Historical: Operation Klondike features a list of the names of all 800 of the original Clan Warriors.  Unfortunately, none of the 800 had the last name Yamamori.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 11:23:33 PM »

Thanks for the info on Operation Klondike. My approaches still work I believe once I have more info to deal with.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:38:09 AM »

Important note: Bloodnames are determined via the matrilineal line.  Which is how Phelan Kell could get the Bloodname Ward.

So depending on if and whom your character marries, it's still possible to have contributed to the Clan eugenics program.

Secondarily, there was also explicitly a provision around somewhere to allow for Bloodnames not in the original 800.  I recall this being a HUGE bone of contention when OpK came out (not least because BT volunteers were told at one point that with sufficient event credits they could have a previously-undefined BloodHouse names after them, which was then not followed through).  The names in OpK are NOT the last word.   :-\

Black Omega

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:16:03 AM »

Correct.  Besides, I didn't say I was strictly following canon.  It is my little alternate universe after all.  ;)
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »

All good info.  Yamamori's going, it'll play out however it makes sense to play out.  It's the right choice for him.  The only way I'd see that changing is if pretty much the entirety of Delta company remained behind in a coherent fashion.  Even then he might still go.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »

Xin was never going to go with Alexander.   ;D

I honestly have no idea about Hanney.  For a preacher, he has been very lethal in this campaign.  He has no qualms about only going for kneecaps.  So I will have to wait until the end, to see what he does.  If I can survive.

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »

Hawker would be going along with the SLDF.  LXXII corps is mother, LXXII corps is father and all that.  Plus being able to not fight in the rapidly approaching conflagration after a decade of fairly constant action is appealing.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »

Freund, assuming he survives, would join Kerensky on the Exodus.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »

I guess here is where the story line comes out for my character..If my character survives he will go on the exodus..As will the only surviving member of his immediate family the younger brother. As he will come to find out his father was killed days into the initial fighting. His detachment made one final stand as the the remaining two living members of house cameron tried to escape. However the transports carrying them were cut down as well as he and his lance. Outnumbered 3 to 1 the battle lasted less than an hour..He was executed along with each of his lance their immediate families tracked down and executed. The only exceptions being Alan and his younger brother both being off world when the invasion and quarentine started. Alan will learn of his fathers actions but have the bitter sweet taste to see what the consequences were. His mother died at age 46, father at age 45, and sister age 9. With the exodus they will change their last names if moon is not part of the clan bloodnames. The reasoning will be to forget the pain of what happened to their family and to start new away from the growing war that eventually came again.   

any thoughts for rest anyone?
Die Clanner!!!!

Black Omega

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 05:29:49 AM »

Moon, Smythe, Callahan and Hawker are all bloodnames.

Mike, Rob, Brent, Dan & Brett; any ideas on your characters [assuming that they survive the next 2 games]?

[This doesn't mean you are going to continue to play the character.  You can play another character and the old one will convert to npc.]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:56:31 PM by Black Omega »