CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IC: 29 September, 2779  (Read 4962 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
IC: 29 September, 2779
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:09:12 AM »

29 September.  0605
The Skies above North America
The DropShip Finem Itineris

The green glow of the briefing room display illuminates the stricken faces of the assembled Echo Company.  Generals Alexandr Kerensky and Aaron DeChavilier, and the entire first regiment of the 29th BattleMech Division, are walking into a trap.  The Forth Amaris Dragoons and the spaceport defenses  surrounding the Imperial Palace pose a threat, but it's the TO&E of the Death's Head Legion that Peri now scrolls past the display that fills you with dread.

These aren't just BattleMechs.  Those you can deal with.  It is the combination of the full-spectrum  jammers, electronic suppression fields, and massive, artillery-carrying monstrosities of two hundred tons or more that await the airborne landings which began five minutes ago that you know may spell the doom of the SLDF's father figure.  Peri reaches the end of the technical readouts and begins talking quickly.

"Captain Pike says we're about 10 minutes out, so there's not much time.  I finished decoding the data we saved from Omega-3, and it's bad.  Real bad.  That data was what we recovered from an attempt to break into a Rim Worlds data security center, and it looks like it's hotter than we thought.  It's the entire defense plan for the Imperial Palace."

"General Kerensky has airdropped into a massive zone of ECM, one that's certainly blocking their transmissions for help.    What's making this truly deadly are these,"  she points to three large towers amid the jumble of other structures on the edges of the Palace grounds.  "These are projecting some sort of energy field very closely related to Project Blue Shield, a particle field dampener that a team on Kallon was working on up until the Coup.  I'm unsure of the specifics, but it looks like it's intended to interrupt the electrical signals controlling BattleMech myomers.  Any myomer bundle within a projected area of effect is going to go completely spastic, rendering the Mech uncontrollable.  That's the good news."

"GOOD news?!", exclaims Callahan. "So they can pick a spot, and every Mech within 90 meters has a seizure.  They're sitting ducks for the 4th Dragoons.  What the hell's the bad news?"

"The bad news, Henrik, is that the 4th Dragoons have no intention of engaging the stranded units.  It looks like there's some level of scattering to the effect, and why risk combat power?  They've got these," she scrolls over to two images of incredibly massive, hulking Mechs.  "I don't have names for these things, only prototype numbers, but they're huge.  Those are artillery batteries on their backs, three on this type, four on that type.  I have no idea how they managed to solve the actuator scaling problems, but they clearly did. These are heavier - much heavier - than an Atlas.  They're going to be sitting back near the towers themselves and they'll just shell DeChavilier and Kerensky into fucking oblivion.  And because of the ECM fields, nobody knows they need the help."

Freund broke in.  "Nobody but us, you mean.  And, as luck would have it, here we are on a DropShip approaching a spaceport with its orbital defenses under attack and hopefully disabled by the rest of the 29th Division.  Echo Company, mount up.  We're going in hot.  We've got some Generals to save, and a Usurper to string the hell up."

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: IC: 29 September, 2779
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 04:59:41 AM »

SCENARIO: IUDICII DIEM

ALL DAMAGE IS REPAIRED, ALL EDGE IS REFRESHED.  Brett has her Excalibur so hopefully she'll actually get a chance to drive it once.

1) Battleground: The combat area will be 4x2.5 mapsheets in size.  The north end contains the gates to the Imperial Palace of Stefan Amaris, the Conqueror.

North
[][]+.5 map
[][]+.5 map
[][]+.5 map
[][]+.5 map
South

2) Deployment:
-PCs will deploy wherever desired via low-altitude drop, at no TN modifier.  They are coming in from a low enough altitude that the NPCs will not have the opportunity to fire upon them.  As usual, PC will plot their landing hexes, then NPCs will place all units, then PCs will land, resolving DFAs as necessary.  

3) Dampening Towers
-These Dampening Towers are keeping the SLDF 29th Division locked down for slaughter.  Before each Movement Phase, each Dampening Tower nominates any single hex within 2 mapsheets range (not counting the mapsheet the tower is based in).  At the beginning of the End Phase of that turn, it fires an EM Pulse (6+ to hit the target hex, scattering 3 hexes in a random direction for each point of MoF).  The pulse affects the target hex, and three hexes in every direction (7 hex diameter).  Every BattleMech unit (friendly or enemy) within the target area must make a PSR at a +7 penalty (or a Mech/Electronics roll at a TN 9) or be overloaded during the next turn.  An overloaded Mech may not move or fire, and must make a PSR at a +5 penalty or fall prone, taking damage as normal.  An overloaded Mech sinks no heat, and its life support does not function.  However, it is not considered an immobile target.

-A LAM caught within the field will take the full effect up to Elevation Level 10.  An airborne LAM which is overloaded will automatically crash (no avoidance possible), though pilot damage may be saved at a +3 penalty, and the LAM will be treated as though it had moved directly forward only 2 hexes before crashing.

-An overloaded unit no longer in the EM field's area of effect may regain its feet and move normally.  The EM Field Effect ends at the end of the Heat Phase of the turn after a unit was affected.

-Dampening Towers may not fire at a hex within 5 hexes of themselves.

-Dampening Towers are not considered immobile targets, and in fact have a +3 penalty to be hit due to the EM fields.  However, as Peri has access to their full-spectrum readouts and has adjusted your sensors, Echo Company members (only!) do not suffer the +3 penalty to hit.

-Dampening Towers have a CF of 80 and fill a single hex.  The PCs will be advised which mapsheets contain Dampening Towers, but not where they specifically are until the Dampening Towers have fired.

Sample Turn-by-turn guideline:
Turn 0 End Phase:Nominate Target Hex.
Turn 1 Movement Phase:All units move normally.
Turn 1 End of Firing Phase:Weapon fires.  Targets must save or overload.
Turn 1 Heat Phase:Affected targets do not sink heat.
Turn 1 End Phase:Nominate New Target Hex.
Turn 2 Movement Phase:Turn 1 affected targets may not move.
Turn 2 Firing Phase:Turn 1 affected targets may not fire.
Turn 2 End of Firing Phase:Weapon fires at new targets.  Targets must save or overload.
Turn 2 Heat Phase:Turn 1 and Turn 2 targets do not sink heat.
Turn 2 End of Heat Phase:Turn 1 targets remain mobility.
Turn 2 End Phase:Turn 1 targets may make end-of-turn declarations.
Turn 3 Movement Phase:Turn 1 targets may stand and move normally.  Turn 2 targets may not move.

4) Sadist
-Rim Worlds forces may not plot artillery fire in such a manner as to deliberately strike either General Kerensky nor General DeChavilier as long as there are SLDF units (overloaded or not) within 4 hexes of their unit, nor may they directly target either General with weapons fire with the same restriction.  Amaris wants them to be the last to fall.  Note that accidental scattering is not subject to this restriction.

5) Rules Reminders:
-All units are at a +1 bonus to strike Superheavy Units, and SHUs cannot benefit from partial cover.
-Indirect artillery fire (range 18+ hexes) is plotted and fired during the Firing Phase and lands between Movement and Firing of the NEXT turn
-Direct fire artillery (1-17 hexes) is fired during the Fire Phase as per a normal weapon
-Skidding Rules are NOT in play
-Most buildings are NOT destructible unless you are on top of a building with a CF too light to support the weight of your unit (a 60-ton Mech being on top of a CF 30 building).  Buildings are considered impassable for all units.
-Your LAM may begin the game in ASF mode mounting 75% of its maximum allotment of HE bombs (round up to the nearest bomb).

SLDF Objectives:
1) Destroy all three Dampening Towers
2) Destroy or Disable all Enemy Units
3) Ensure that General Kerensky and General DeChavilier survive

RWR Objectives:
1) Murder every SLDF Mech and MechWarrior on the battlefield

EDIT:

1) Battlefield increased in size due to player density
2) Clarification: Dampening Towers do not need LOS to the target hex
3) Clarification: Dampening Tower range is "to the edge of their mapsheet, plus 2 full mapsheets in any direction"
4) Clarification: Dampening Tower fields are indiscriminate in their effect - SLDF or RWR
4) Clarification: SLDF NPC Personality Abilities are locked down until all three Dampening Towers are destroyed. (the NPC controller of those units will have those abilities noted)
5) NEW RULE: PC Leadership/Initiative Modifier is used in this battle; not Kerensky's or DeChavilier's

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:41:40 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 05:09:18 AM »

SLDF Unit Record Sheets (units are 3/3 except where noted):

PCs will be controlling their PC, plus a minimum of 2 SLDF unitsMechs each.

Command Lance
ON1-K Kerensky Orion (2G/1P)
AS7-D-H Atlas II (1G/1P)
ON1-K Orion
KGC-010 King Crab

Heavy Lance
10-Z Cyclops
-1Gb BattleMaster
-2R Marauder
-6Rb Warhammer

Fire Lance
-6Rb Warhammer
-2Rb Archer
-2Rb Archer
BJ-1 Blackjack

Battle Lance (2 copies)
-5S Thunderbolt (2G/2P)
-2H Shadow Hawk  (2G/2P)
-6R Wolverine (2G/2P)
-27b Crab (2G/2P)

Attack Lance
-3Fb Stalker
-3Z Pillager
-732 Highlander
-6b-KNT Black Knight
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:21:13 AM by Darrian Wolffe »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:20:38 AM »

Rim Worlds Unit Record Sheets (units are 3/4 except where noted):

Command Lance
AS7-K Atlas (personal refit) (2G/2P)
-3Fb Stalker
BLR-1G BattleMaster
-6Rb Warhammer

Heavy Lance
-732b Highlander
-2Rb Archer
-2R Crusader
-6Rb Warhammer

Fire Lance
-6Rb Warhammer
-2Rb Archer
-2Rb Archer
BJ-1 Blackjack

Battle Lance (2 copies)
-2N Griffin
-6J Enfield
-4G Hunchback
-2R Marauder

Attack Lance
-3N Guillotine (2G/2P)
-8K Flashman (2G/2P)
-2Hb Shadow Hawk (2G/2P)
-2Hb Shadow Hawk (2G/2P)

Medium Lance (2 copies)
-9B Victor
-3T Clint
-4R Enforcer
-3D Hammerhands

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:28 PM »

OOC:

Here are my initial thoughts:

This looks like an awesome scenario Rob.  It looks like there's a decent chance that some or all of the PCs will die.

The dampening towers are a priority target due to both being extremely dangerous and relatively fragile.

As we're facing both dampening towers and artillery, we can't afford to bunch up to quite the extent that we have in scenarios past.

As the dampening towers can't fire at units within five hexes and direct fire artillery attacks can't be made at units within six hexes, it may be advantageous for us to engage the RWR forces at close range.

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »

At that short of range we wont stand a chance against their battlemechs!

That seems like the most solid plan.  Do we want to break up the lances to run screening or attack specific targets or just try to pile on a tower as best we can?

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 09:06:26 PM »

OOC:

At that short of range we wont stand a chance against their battlemechs!

You worry about those battlemechs; I'll worry about the tower!

That seems like the most solid plan.  Do we want to break up the lances to run screening or attack specific targets or just try to pile on a tower as best we can?

Normally I would recommend we drop on the southern mapsheets and roll north as the wall of steel approach is a pretty solid tactic in battletech, however the dampening towers and artillery will probably make that approach suicide.  It may be best to have each lance drop on a different mapsheet row.  That gives us the best chance of destroying multiple towers extremely quickly and in a more chaotic melee our superior pilots will give us an edge.  Of course that also means that our different lances may not be able to support each other very well and if the RWR really focuses on wiping out a single lance, then we may not be able to prevent that.  This really is the type of decision that hinges upon both the actual battlefield terrain and the deployment of the NPC SLDF mechs.  If the NPC SLDF forces are scattered throughout the entire battlefield, then we should probably scatter our drop and have a PC lance assault each tower while the nearby NPC forces try to keep the battlemechs off of them (I think this situation is actually the best case scenario for us).  Alternatively, if the NPC SLDF force is all in the south, then we might want to try dropping on the northern maps and seeing how much of the RWR force we can sandwich between the two SLDF forces.  The downside to that approach is that it would be it very difficult for the PCs to retreat if the battle goes poorly, but its the finale and Kerensky is in danger, so I'm not planning on retreating regardless of how well or poorly the battle goes.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:16:36 PM »

OOC: Just finished up the Superheavy record sheets.  Man, that was some nostalgia - I can't remember the last time I had to both create units and fill in their record sheets entirely by hand (to say nothing of having to scratchbuild blank superheavy record sheets).

OOC2: To clarify - yes, you're going to get a general picture of roughly where enemy troop and friendly troop concentrations are before you nominate your landing hexes.  "A bunch here, a bunch about there, a couple signatures over there".

Travis: Did you ever manage to get with IWM and fix the issue with your Omega?  I went up there last week and grabbed the extra parts for Dans, and I grabbed a spare lower torso piece and some extra shoulder guns if you need them (IIRC that's what was missing, right?)  We can do an onsite temp assembly of the unit just for game purposes if necessary...

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »

OOC: Nope.  I'll PM you about the mini.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:59:25 PM by Riegien »

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Major
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 02:37:06 AM »

A few moments pass as the briefing room was eerily quiet and uneasy. Moon with kit in hand heads for the bay doors with an awkward stride. A stride that was somewhat wobbly and uneasy. There was a tense and nervous feeling he could not shake. A similar feeling has crept up several times in the last few battles. He stands before his royal griffin staring at the fading star league emblem. The feeling has been there in the pit of his stomach many times now. Why can he not get rid of it after all this time? He was certain things would not be easy for them this time around. Could it be the dry mouth or the fact he has prayed to god let this be the end of the madness? He climbed into the command chair after a final quick check. He gave the tech a look the thoughts written in his eyes. The tech could see it knowing those fears himself. "Glad I am not the one going down there. I can fight if needed but I am no hero. There has been a few times I have been in a bind myself. We have not talked much outside of the basics till now. I am one of the original technicians from this unit. All the way from that day of treachery here on Earth and back now. You can imagine the fear and confusion we all felt. I will only say this once kid and if you ever doubt yourself remember this. Stay calm and remember your training and what you fight for. The 741st in my eyes is full of the best mechwarriors and people the Star league has to offer. We fight to protect the rights people take for granted. You made it this far kid when other great people have not. Your luck and skill have got you this far. Everyone has got to die someday.  Good luck kid you will need it here. Anything you want me to say to that chick you have been sneaking off and seeing since before you got that bastard Babcock?"  A puzzled look on Allans face showed the tech he hit a good memory or two and brought Moon back to himself. "Tell her I am off to fight the good fight. Her husband will return." he said with a smile. The tech added "So you did get married after all. Your good to go kid." he said through his mic "Reactor online, systems online, weapons online lets Rock and Roll." He thought to himself "For those we lost and that could not be here." He keyed his mic to the general frequency. "Alright guys lets do this. There is no need for long speeches. We know what we have to do FOR THE STAR LEAGUE!!".
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:44:07 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 01:26:04 AM »

OOC: I have all the mechsheets

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »

Major Freund spoke the security phrase into his mic, "It is well that war is so terrible, else we should grow too fond of it." He felt the system give him full control, although the maintenance crew had already warmed up his Royal Griffin.

"Major, we'll be over the drop zone in less than 2 minutes. Bay doors will be opening in a few seconds." Captain Pike paused, "And Major, give 'em hell."

"Thanks Captain," Freund said, switching his comm over to Echo Company's general frequency. He wasn't sure what he wanted to say. What do you say to people that have spent almost 15 years fighting alongside you? To people that have seen the horrors of war up close and personal. He absentmindedly tightened the restraints on his command couch, and activating the transmit button, began to speak.

"Echo company, listen up. This thing is almost over. Kerensky himself is down there, ready to bring Amaris to justice, hopefully at the end of a PPC barrel. But there's some nastiness in between the General and the palace doors, and it's up to us to clear it out.

"This isn't your average walk in the park. These are his top troops, his personal guard, and they want the General and everyone else down there dead. So we've got to drop on top of them. We've got to be in their faces, and punch them in the mouth so hard they forget about the General for awhile while they deal with us. We've got to give everyone down there a chance to advance forward, and end this thing.

"Today, we're the anvil. The anvil exists to get beat on, and not give. Today, we give no ground, we extend NO quarter! Today, we spend ourselves to buy an end to tyranny! "

The opening of the bay doors signaled to all that the time for speaking was over. Rushing air filled the mech bay, and Freund moved his Griffin to the edge of the bay. Below, the terrain flashed by at high speed as Captain Pike approached the palace area at low altitude. Pike would fly them over the general locations of the dampening towers, and Echo Company would drop by lances as close to each tower as possible. Of course, it was all a shot in the dark. At this speed, Pike wouldn't be able to adjust his course before they dropped. They might just as easily be dropping into the middle of infantry formations and command-detonated minefields.

Freund smiled to himself, it didn't really matter what he dropped onto. Soon, this would all be over, and the Star League would continue to lead humankind into a bright future. And finally, he could stop. One way or another, he could finally stop. With his Griffin's left hand clamped to the edge of the bay opening, he leaned his Griffin out and tried to spot the drop zone. He was ready to go.

OOC: Leadership check for inspiring speech, looking to get all Echo company members a +1 to all attack rolls for the first 2 turns (excepting Freund).   ;D

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »

OOC: I agree with focusing on the towers as we won't have the same penalties as the rest of the friendlies.  I somewhat expect there will be an Omega at each Tower, perhaps I'll be wrong.  I also agree with the idea that we don't bunch up.  My suggestion would be to pair off and focus on the different towers with one trio.  Depending on the number of towers may depend on how easy or hard it will be to do.

OOC: Rob: When we drop you said we'll determine if there's any inadvertent DFAs.  With Jumping Jack would you let me shift a hex to land either on a target or clear if within 1 hex of my target with a PSR?

With a sweep of his...

Hat

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »

OOC: I agree with focusing on the towers as we won't have the same penalties as the rest of the friendlies.  I somewhat expect there will be an Omega at each Tower, perhaps I'll be wrong.  I also agree with the idea that we don't bunch up.  My suggestion would be to pair off and focus on the different towers with one trio.  Depending on the number of towers may depend on how easy or hard it will be to do.

OOC: Peri has specifically stated that there are 3 towers. Those must drop first (imo), because they have the potential to incapacitate entire groups of SLDF mechs. I think we should take our best guesses about where they are, and split our forces to deal with them. This should put us in the midst of a bunch of angry Rim World'ers, so damage will be heavy. We'll have to improvise once those towers drop, but I fully expect our PC mechs to be some of the first to die in this scenario. If the RWR is spread out enough, it could really help us though, as they may not be able to concentrate enough fire to actually bring us down too quickly; meanwhile, they'll be taking fire from the incoming 29th.

OOC: Rob: When we drop you said we'll determine if there's any inadvertent DFAs.  With Jumping Jack would you let me shift a hex to land either on a target or clear if within 1 hex of my target with a PSR?

I'm hoping to DFA someone on the way down. A 16.6% chance to decapitate an enemy mech before the shooting even starts? YES, please.  ;)

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »

OOC: There the "concentration of fire" aspect to think about. We land in one or two sheets that have one tower and all fire at it. 80 pts and it is out of the action. We would definitely have to keep spread out.

OOC: Rob, does the tower effect the OPFOR the same as us?

Pages: [1] 2