CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Pilot Skill Advancement  (Read 3342 times)

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Pilot Skill Advancement
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »

The chaos campaign rules, as presented in Dawn of the Jihad, state that at the end of each scenario we may pay support points to improve the piloting and gunnery skills of each pilot by one.  Even pilots who did not participate in the scenario are allowed to improve their skills (not participating in the scenario merely doubles the support point cost).  In addition the support point cost of improving pilot skill is significantly less than the support point cost of repairs.  This pretty much means that each side can pay approximately 50 Warchest Points at the end of each scenario to improve the experience level of their entire side by one.  If this is how we're doing skill improvement, then our force of 4/5s with a handful of 3/4s are now a force of 3/4s with a handful of 2/3s and after the next game will be a force of 2/3s with a handful of 1/2s.  As this, to me at least, seems to be extremely fast for skill improvement, I was wondering are we using the Chaos Campaign rules for determining when a pilot can advance or, like salvage and buying new units, the gm will tell us which pilots can advance after each scenario?

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot Skill Advancement
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »

K, so Travis and I discussed this, and here is our ruling.

Your pilot can improve 1 thing after completing 3 missions with a pilot.  You can only improve one pilot a total of 2 times, which will be most of the campaign length.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »

K, so Travis and I discussed this, and here is our ruling.

Your pilot can improve 1 thing after completing 3 missions with a pilot.  You can only improve one pilot a total of 2 times, which will be most of the campaign length.

What happens if a pilot gets shot out of a ride (ie, fragged from ammo boom and auto eject sends him out)...will this be tracked in case it comes up, which it will....

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:19:25 AM »

What happens if a pilot gets shot out of a ride (ie, fragged from ammo boom and auto eject sends him out)...will this be tracked in case it comes up, which it will....
The ruling for scenario 1 at least was that any pilot who ejects is considered to be picked up by his own side at the end of the scenario because actually tracking pilots on the game board is a bit of a hassle.

maddyfish

• Corporal
  • The sword and hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:22:15 AM »

1. We should them name and track our pilots right? Should we then set up a database to track them?

2. If we are going to have high skill pilots floating around after a mech is destroyed we should track them, so that they can be killed on the ground.

3. Personally, I like 4/5 pilot skills, otherwise it turn into a who's got the bigger gun contest, and we know who has that given the Celestial mech situation.
Have Wasp, will travel.

maddyfish

• Corporal
  • The sword and hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »

So we should name each pilot in each mech/piece of equipment?
Have Wasp, will travel.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »

If you want.  I still think of them as the "pilot of the locust who is in critical care in the ICU, but lived".

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »

If you want.  I still think of them as the "pilot of the locust who is in critical care in the ICU, but lived".

So Richard Zednik then.

maddyfish

• Corporal
  • The sword and hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »

Hey, he didn't take too many pilot hits, he took a medum laser to his Locust which caused a cascade failure of all the components of the mech.
Have Wasp, will travel.