CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Game 3/ November December Availability  (Read 10570 times)

maddyfish

• Corporal
  • The sword and hammer
    • View Profile
Re: Game 3/ November December Availability
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2010, 10:10:26 AM »

however I would've liked to have at least had the opportunity to shoot at the LAMs.

I've played the LAMs enough now to have formed some solid opinions. LAMs---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------and -----------------------------------------you--------------------------------------------would have-------------------never have----------------------------------REDACTED FOR OPSEC--------------------------------------gotten LOS-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------then--------------------------------but if you would--------------------------------next time I'll-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------artillery---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------and you will have---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------REDACTED FOR OPSEC-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------no method of defense----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------and that pretty much sums up my theory on LAMs.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:18:04 AM by maddyfish »
Have Wasp, will travel.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »

... but they actually left behind a squadron of Lancer ASFs for the WOB forces, with cute little postcards on the canopies that read "here, this should make future fights more even, so quit bitching about not having any airpower left". 

Really?  We left an entire squadron of ASF's on a field of battle that we completely owned?

Coalition Assessment
Given the relative starting locations of the WOB forces and the Coalition forces, and the order and time in which reinforcements were brought into play, the scenario was unwinnable.  To the defender's credit, they realized this after only 10 seconds of engagement, and focused their defense on destroying as many WOB units as possible.  In the future, Coalition forces will make a special note not to try to defend static structures anywhere near those structures, since it is physically impossible to stop an OPFOR unit from just shooting the target structure from long range and withdrawing, and will endeavor to engage the enemy further away from structures of importance (preferrably multiple mapsheets "further away").  The enemy shows a good grasp of LAM operations, and so Coalition forces will develop communications protocols to call in Combat Air Patrol units from the operating sector specifically to bounce the LAMs out of the sky/  Additionally, as LAMs present a very low-profile target, all spaces around important structures will be cleared and leveled out to a distance of 120 meters, preventing the OPFOR from simply zipping past defensive lines too fast to be shot at at all, landing behind a low hill or structure and being about to level the target with impunity.  Command-detonated landmines are also strongly encouraged.

Yea, since there's no such thing as screening, defending anything stationary on a battlefield is near-impossible against a determined force (or unless you can meet them far enough away from the objectives that they must shoot you before they can get there) and defending when all your mechs (except for one medium lance) are inactive for essentially the entire scenario is not possible without the application of nuclear persuasion.

Maddog3025

• Private 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »

You guys trashing any mechs this weekend?

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:12 AM »

I can't, got an anniversary this weekend.

GM's:  When is our next campaign game?

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »

Not me, I have other plans on Sat.

What is the date we are shooting for in Jan.?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]