CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Shadowrun, chummers! Do you speak it?  (Read 26261 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Shadowrun, chummers! Do you speak it?
« on: August 24, 2010, 07:54:39 PM »

OK, since Mike and Travis are TOTALLY AWESOME and are taking the BT campaign to the shores of Tripoli (or thereabouts), it means that I have time to run a Shadowrun campaign.  Now, I'm aware that I've not GM'd an RPG for any of you before, so here's how I tend to handle these:

I'm willing to run an RPG under certain conditions.  These conditions are largely due to the fact that running an RPG is a whole lot of work - well over and above running a BT campaign.  As such, it needs to be fun for me as well as you, and there's some things that make it "not fun" for me.

1) Trust me as a GM.  This is normally an issue with new groups.  You guys know me, and, theoretically at least, you should know that I won't dick over characters for no reason.
2) Work with my setting and power level requests.  I will NOT dictate plot to you guys - you'll be free to go and do what you want.  But creating characters that deliberately break the setting and desired power level of the game (I've seen RPG players that try stuff equivalent to having a 0/0 Warhawk C driver in 3025) are going to make it not fun for me.  When I don't have fun, I either stop running stuff, or try to find fun by doing things to your characters that amuse me.  I have had Herb tell me I'm too cruel to players.  That should indicate something.
3) Make the game a commitment.  We're all (again, theoretically) adults.  Life happens.  But if you say that you can make a game on a given night, then you need to be there on that night.  Whereas in a 10-person BT group we can get by without one person, in a 4-5 player RPG group that loss hurts a LOT more, and the loss of even 2 people means that we won't even play that night.  Additionally, my prep work for a BT game might be 2-3 hours.  Prep work for an RPG will be generally double that, at least, which means that by not being able to play, a great deal of my time is wasted.  Since I work on an hourly basis, I may just bill you for the time.  If you can't make a game, be very aggressive about letting us know ahead of time.  

With all the dire warnings out of the way, what I plan to run is a campaign set in the 2050s Shadowrun setting, using the 4th edition (25th anniversary) rules.  It's an old-school, 1980's-style cyberpunk setting with the latest flavor of rules (in their most-cleaned up form since...well, ever).  Who's up for it?  Right now, I'm willing to work up to a 6-player game, with 4-players at a minimum.

For anybody who doesn't know what Shadowrun is, here's here's the blurb:

"The year is 2052. The world is changed, some say Awakened.
A long lull in the mystical energies of the universe has subsided and magic has returned to the world. Elves, dwarfs, orks and trolls have assumed their true forms, throwing off their human guises. Creatures of the wild have changed as well, transforming into beasts of myth and legend. The many traditions of magic have come back to life, and shamans and mages have carved out a place in the new world for themselves and their powers. Many aspects of the Awakening remain mysteries, but modern society fights on to assimilate the
ways of magic into a technological world.

The decades that followed the Awakening were years of panic and turmoil, as the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse seemed to race across the Earth. Cultures that had never lost touch with their mystical pasts began to use magic against the great nations that had suppressed
them for so long. The vast global telecommunications network collapsed under an assault by a mysterious computer virus. Dragons soared into the skies. Epidemics and famine ravaged the world’s population. Clashes between newly Awakened races and the rest of humanity became common. All central authority crumbled, and the world began to spiral
downward into the abyss.

But man and his kin are hearty animals. Out of the devastation and chaos, a fragile new social order slowly emerged. Advanced simulated sensorium (simsense) technology helped eradicate the last vestiges of the computer virus and replaced the old telecommunications network
with the new virtual-reality world of the Matrix. Amerindians, elves, orks and dwarfs formed new nations. Where environmental degradation and pollution have made many areas uninhabitable, eco-groups wage war on polluters, and Awakened powers use incredible magics to heal the earth. Central governments have balkanized into smaller nations and city-states, as fear of the world’s changes drives wedges between people of different backgrounds.

Vast metropolitan sprawls known as metroplexes cover the landscape; these urban jungles swallow whole regions. Police departments unable to contain crime waves and civil unrest have been privatized or their work contracted out to corporations

Megacorporations have become the new world superpowers, a law unto themselves. The entire planet speaks their language, as the nuyen has become the global monetary standard. The megacorps play a deadly game, paying pawns in the shadows to help them get an edge on the competition. Meanwhile, corporate executives and wage slaves hole up in
their own enclaves, safe behind layers of security and indoctrination.
Outside the walls of these arcologies and gated communities, whole stretches of the sprawls have become ungovernable. Gangs rule the streets; the forgotten masses grow, lacking even a System Identification Number (SIN) to give them any rights. These outcasts, dissidents and rebels live as the dregs of society, squatting in long-abandoned buildings,
surviving through crime and predatory instincts. Many of them attempt to rise above their miserable existences by slotting addictive BTL (Better-Than-Life) chips, living vicariously through someone else’s senses. Others band together, some for survival and some to gain their own twisted forms of power.

Technology, too, has changed people. No longer merely flesh, many have turned to the artificial enhancements of cyberware to make themselves more than human. Some acquire implants that allow them to directly interface with machines, like deckers who run the Matrix with a cyberdeck and programs or riggers who jack into vehicles or security systems and become one with them. Others seek to push the envelope of
their physical capabilities, testing themselves on the streets against other street samurai. The human of 2052 is stronger, smarter, faster than his predecessors.

In the world of 2052, the metroplexes are monsters that cast long shadows. And in the cracks between the giant corporate structures, shadowrunners find their homes. Entire societies live and die in a black-market underworld, exploited and abused, yet powerful in their own way. The Mafia, Yakuza and other crime syndicates have grown explosively as their networks provide anything that people will buy. Shadowrunners
are the professionals of this culture where self-sufficiency is vital. When the megacorps want a job done but don’t want to dirty their hands, they need a shadowrun, and they turn to the only people who can pull it off: the shadowrunners. Though only the blackest of governmental or corporate databases even registers a shadowrunner’s existence, the demand for his or her services is high. Deckers can slide like a whisper through the databases of giant corporations, spiriting away the only thing of real value—information. Street samurai are enforcers for hire whose combat skills and reflexes make them the ultimate urban predators. Riggers can manipulate vehicles and drones for a variety of purposes. Magicians, those rare folk who possess the gift of wielding and shaping the magical energies that now surround the Earth, are sought after to spy on the competition, sling spells against an enemy, commit magical sabotage, and for any other purpose that their employers can dream up.  All these individuals sell their skills to survive, taking on the tasks too illegal or dangerous for others to dare."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:22:00 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun, chummers! Do you speak it?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:27:28 PM »

I'm probably in dependent on times that everyone decides to play - I'll also need help with character generation

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »

Hoi, Chummmer.  I am ready to run in the 'plex, For the Slot and Run, I'm in. 

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:59:41 AM »

I might consider it. Depends on how you are handling the Matrix, lame incalculably unlikely wireless
mesh network or DNI fiberoptics. That and I need to check with she who makes plans as to good days.

For what it's worth Alpha Omega as a system does cyberpunk way better and is more balanced than SR4A. That might be my bias and dislike of the magic IWIN button. "Force 9 Stunball! The combat monster passes out...".

*dice rattle*

"I take zero drain."

I'm pretty sure that's the mnchy crap you don't like
so I may be in depending on day and time.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »

I might consider it.
I'm pretty sure that's the mnchy crap you don't like
so I may be in depending on day and time.

Well, a couple things...

Partially, this game is to get Dan, myself, and possibly Travis up to speed on the SR4 mechanics, because we need to be able to demo SR4 games for CGL, so we're gonna have to use the listed SR4 mechanics.  That includes things like Wireless Matrix.

HOWEVER

I FAR prefer the flavor of 1-2e Shadowrun.  Yeah, Deckers can go wireless (we'll call them Deckers instead of Hackers because in my universe, the nickname for a commlink is a "deck" due to its flattened viewscreen...and because Hackers reminds me of the movie, and I HATE being reminded of that movie), but I'm looking for a lot more William Gibson in my game and a lot less Ghost in the Shell.  I can't promise there won't be BattleMechs, though.  I've done that in SR before...

Further, remember what I said up there about breaking the game?  A) A PC who can routinely (dumb luck doesn't count, or does excessive Karma expenditure to get that ONE spell off) rattle off an F9 spell with zero drain is either immensely experienced (in which case, he'll need that sort of firepower with what I send experienced runners through), or B) Not experienced, and therefore built in such a manner as to deliberately break the game.  When people break the game, I do bad things to them.  Enforcing the street credo of "geek the mage first", for example.  Or snipers.  With that same credo.  Or dedicated counterspell mages.  Or some essence-draining Vampires who hear about the badass mage and realize that he's probably the most delicious thing around.  Or Deadly damage of any sort (medical care can drain off Magic points).  Or if he horks off enough people, somebody might break into the apartment and leave a hunk of a play-doh-looking substance with a digital timer in it, with a note attached that says "you probably want to retire".  Or, hell, the corporate wage-mage who's been fighting against those damn dirty shadowrunners just a BIT longer than this guy's been running them...and thus can cast spells at an equal or greater Force right back at him.

I guess this comes back to the first thing I posted.  "Trust me as a GM".  If you want to play a Cyberpunk game, give it a shot.  I've been running groups through the shadows since 1992.  I've heard the complaints about the "magic IWIN" button since before I was in high school.  I've not found that to be the case given two things: 1) a game world in which people are assumed to be intelligent and will react appropriately to threats, perceived or actual, and B) a GM that is willing to kill characters when their actions or verisimilitude demands it.

In my Shadowrun games, you'll get both.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 02:49:10 PM »

I'll have to clear it with she who makes plans* but I'm probably in. I find the wireless Matrix to be lame as I'm sure Dan does. It is possible to make munchy F9 chuckers at 400 BP, however that's why I don't read Dumpshock often.

The IWIN comes from the detail that per RAW mundanes can't detect who the mage is and it's not like they can resist the spell anyhow. I'd probably go combat decker if you'll have me. I have a classic concept involving large amounts of late 20th pop culture and a secure armored "vintage" Ramones shirt.

*Note: She who makes plans may also wish to join.   I'm also willing to offer space for players since I'm fairly well setup for large games. 

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »

I'll have to clear it with she who makes plans* but I'm probably in. I find the wireless Matrix to be lame as I'm sure Dan does. It is possible to make munchy F9 chuckers at 400 BP, however that's why I don't read Dumpshock often.

The IWIN comes from the detail that per RAW mundanes can't detect who the mage is and it's not like they can resist the spell anyhow. I'd probably go combat decker if you'll have me. I have a classic concept involving large amounts of late 20th pop culture and a secure armored "vintage" Ramones shirt.

*Note: She who makes plans may also wish to join.   I'm also willing to offer space for players since I'm fairly well setup for large games. 

Remember, just because something is legal by the rules doesn't mean the GM is ever required to allow it.  I generally save this Rule Zero warning for people who are way, WAY beyond the power level that I'm willing to run with.  Once we have a group and get together, I plan a character generation session where we can decide on a group power level (limiting Initiative passes, spell forces, etc).  I will never run a game where I just say "here, make a rules-legal PC and I won't review it or anything before we start play".

As for space, we may take you up on that...at least until I get moved into my own house (Covington).  We've got a 2-family, and the lower level is being deliberately set up as a gathering space for gamers/friends.

(I'm not a huge fan of Wireless Matrix either in practice, although I do appreciate the fact that they make Deckers playable characters by allowing them to DO STUFF in the real world while they're in the Matrix.  It makes almost no sense, setting-wise, but it really does make the game play better than the old rules - either have an NPC decker or everybody else sits for an hour and does nothing while the decker does his thing.  It's playability over verisimilitude by a LARGE margin...but it DOES end up being playable.  The alternative to Wireless Matrix would be that nobody plays a Decker at all - I allow two simultaneous planes of existence at my table, and usually the party prefers having access to the Astral over having access to the Matrix.)

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »

We currently have a 5x4 table in a dedicated space. The Emmisary arrives in February.

Congratulations on your house btw. I offered because I thought you guys were in an apartment currently and thus a bit tight on space. 

The wireless smartlink and mages taking a 1 point essence hit for cybereyes would be my personal annoyance. Wireless smartlink with no essence cost means the awakened don't have to compromise and that's an alarming precedent.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 03:25:57 PM »

The wireless smartlink and mages taking a 1 point essence hit for cybereyes would be my personal annoyance. Wireless smartlink with no essence cost means the awakened don't have to compromise and that's an alarming precedent.

Could you elucidate a bit more on this?  I'm not up to speed with all the various way to break 4e yet (but try a Jack B Quick build in my 3e game and I'll drop a damn orbitally-deployed cow on your PC).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:30:23 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »

Could you elucidate a bit more on this?  I'm not up to speed with all the various way to break 4e yet (but try a Jack B Quick build in my 3e game and I'll drop a damn orbitally-deployed cow on your PC).

Question - what happens if we totally, inadvertently break the system? I have no intention of doing so, but Weird Shit tends to happen when I'm around.

Critias

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 03:33:54 PM »

In my experience, part of the issue is that, for much of SR4, the non-implanted gear is every bit as good as the implanted gear, and (of course) costs no Essence.  Many folks have found direct-damage dealing mages to be overpowered by nature (I'd strongly suggest the common "don't cut Force in half when doing the math for Drain" house rule, myself), and the technological advances of non-implanted gear is like the frosting on the cake of magic being overwhelming.

Where in previous editions the actual Smartlink cyberware was awesome and the smartgoggles, etc, were in many ways pale imitations...in SR4, in terms of direct attack modifiers, the Adept or Mage with some Smartlink-contact lenses is getting the same bonus as the guy who took an Essence hit.  So much so, in fact, that the entirety of text dealing with the Smartlink (cyberware) is "This is an implanted version of the Smartlink electronics doohickey in page ___."

Now, implanted Smartlinks still give you the old tertiary bonuses (being able to reload, change firing mode, etc, via mental command) that can, in the long run, make a big difference in the life of a gunbunny...but to many players it still rankles that for the main job of a Smartlink -- making you better at shooting people in the face -- folks without cyberware get the exact same bonus dice.

PS:  I hate you all for not starting a Shadowrun game until I'm 1,000 miles away, and while I deeply have Shadowrun on the brain because I'm freelancing for them.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:35:43 PM by Critias »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »

Question - what happens if we totally, inadvertently break the system? I have no intention of doing so, but Weird Shit tends to happen when I'm around.

We talk about it like rational people and find a way to rebuild the character that both doesn't break the system AND keeps as much of your existing PC as possible.  Crazy and visionary, I know.  :P

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 04:19:24 PM »

Er what Critias said.  Presumably the same Critias of DSF fame?

Pretty much smartlink contact lenses give the same 2 dice as the cyberware for less nuyen and zero essence.  Essentially the one thing that sams could have commonly that mages couldn't is gone in a blink. 

A mage who does a full cyber replacement of their eyes can still cast even though they are technically looking through a camera.  This means that low light conditions or even zero light doesn't hamper, casting as most mages will gouge their eyes out and install cameras with low-light and thermo modes.  They will then spend a hefty 2 karma to initiate and get that point of magic back.  I interpret the cyber-eyes thing a bit differently.  You don't have natural eyes?  You can't see your target to get line of effect.  The official FAQ and I believe Adam (before the Debacle of 2010) confirm the DSF interpretation instead of mine.

I'm also notable as a bastard GM.  My players once even wrote a song about my bastardry.  I believe that was in the mounted chivalry campaign when I tripped one of their warhorses with a hit die advanced worg.  Note: the rider failed his DC 30 soft fall check and pretty much mission-killed himself in the landing.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »

It's nice to see you on the forums around here Rusty! 

Texas is awesome isn't it?  Screw Herb.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »

Now, implanted Smartlinks still give you the old tertiary bonuses (being able to reload, change firing mode, etc, via mental command) that can, in the long run, make a big difference in the life of a gunbunny...but to many players it still rankles that for the main job of a Smartlink -- making you better at shooting people in the face -- folks without cyberware get the exact same bonus dice.

Now you made me dig out my frakking dusty book.

I don't see where the tertiary functions are disallowed with smart contact lenses.  Is that clarified in the FAQ or non-existant errata?  Mind you I'm going from a SR4 not SR4A copy.  I obviously didn't feel the need to pick up 4A when I wasn't running it and had switched to a different system for my home game's dystopian future campaign.

edit: grammar good!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5