CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Germans in Italy platoon  (Read 1081 times)

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Germans in Italy platoon
« on: September 08, 2016, 01:42:37 PM »

Looking at doing a 3. or 15. Panzergrenadier (PzG) Division defense of Italy in '43 or '44 list for my first go round with Bolt Action.  Both of these units were used as 'fire brigades', patching holes and shoring up lines in the major defenses across Italy.  Both also went on to fight in Western Europe, so it's a good springboard to that in later war periods, while still being basic rifle squads at this time.

List ideas:
The 'standard on paper' PzG squad at this point would be an NCO with a SMG, 5 riflemen in a maneuver section, and 2 LMGs and loaders in a machine gun section, piled into a halftrack.
There are a few issues already, using the The Defense of Italy theater selector uses squads that cannot take 2 LMGs at a time, so will probably be either short staffing the required squad or otherwise fluffing a reason the two required Grenadier squads are missing a machine gun.  Also, the PzG regiments in this division did not seem to be mechanized in half-tracks, so going to try to steer clear from too many of them in the list. The panzerfaust and Shrek had both made appearances by now, but I'm not sure in how much density they should be deployed.  I'm also leaning towards having the platoon represent one of the Panzer  Aufklärungskompanie (reconnaissance companies) or having them be in support of the main platoon at least.  I'm not sure how much 'mixing' of groups there would have been, or if on the fly kampfgruppen were a thing that would explain several things being lumped together.

Things I am learning:
Germans are apparently tinkergnomes and do not appreciate the space-bar.
I do not know Wehrmacht ranks.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Germans in Italy platoon
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »

What Easyarmy.com shows is the Herr Grenadier squad can have up to 1 man with LMG w/asst. The NCO and 1 other can have smg's. Also, the NCO and 2 others can have Assault Rifles instead. Up to 4 men may have a panzerfaust, also.
So a 10 man squad with NCO and 2 others w/ AR's. 1 LMG w/ asst. 5 riflemen w/ 4 having panzerfausts. 155 pts.

Check out Easyarmy.com. It lets you build and save your force and keeps a running total of points as you fill up your force. You need to scroll down to fit to the particular period or just build a reinforced platoon. Hope this helps out with all that are looking at creating a force. No real need for the rules to get an idea of what figures that might be needed to start your force.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 06:34:23 PM »

Yup, I've been messing with it and using it to build some initial lists.  It's more that I managed to pick a massive transition period for the Heer with weapons and orders of battle being switched up, with divisions that were in the process of rebuilding from old Afrika Korps guys and new stuff.  And trying to figure out 'what is correct for this time', which seems to be answered by lots of shrugging.  Its neat to have accidentally stumbled upon, and leaves lots of opportunity to try different things.  Just frustrating for the grog portion of my brain haha.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »

Platoon list ideas:

PzGrn Zug defensive reinforcement of an artillery position in Italy:
Defense of Italy selector
Order dice - 11.     998 pts.
First Lt with aide- regular, SMGs: 85

Forward artillery spotter with aide: 110

Heer Grenadier squad- regular 128
NCO with SMG, 8 rifles, 1 LMG, 1 additional panzerfaust.

Heer Grenadier squad- regular 133
NCO with SMG, 8 rifles, 1 LMG, 2 additional panzerfaust.

Heer veteran Grenadier squad- veteran 183
NCO with SMG, 7 rifles, 2 LMG, 2 additional panzerfaust.

MMG team- regular: 50

MMG team- regular: 50

Medium mortar team + spotter- regular: 60

Panzerschreck team- regular: 80

Nebelwerfer- regular: 65

Truck with pintle MMG- regular 54