CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Work in Progress!  (Read 8298 times)

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Work in Progress!
« on: September 13, 2016, 10:33:39 AM »

We've all got minis going together.  Feel free to post up pics of your new stuff!  It may help those who are still thinking out what they want to build.

my queue:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 11:40:03 AM by Riegien »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Work in Progress!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »

My WIPs:

First are the three infantry squads (minus the Bren teams), the LT and signaler, and a custom-built medic and aide, and the mandatory British universal carrier. I still need to find a half-dozen Commandos to ride in the Bren carrier, but I really dislike the Warlord sculpts and I don't want to order another 40 infantry from Perry to get 6 guys, so I'll keep looking around. I don't need them to play 500 and 750-pt games anyway.

Next are all my various teams just being primed (since I just found out I can put the guys on the same base); 3 Bren teams, 1 2" mortar, 1 Boyes AT rifle, 1 6-pdr AT gun, and a 3-man Vickers team. I'll give them a spray basecoat in a few hours, and then head out to find a good khaki paint to go over the washed basecoat; all of the khaki's I own are too dark for the Desert Stone colors the Brits used.

Last ones are my forward observers, and my Tamiya 1/48th Crusader MkIII (which has some of the worst directions of any Tamiya model I've ever assembled). I hadn't assembled a tank in a really long time (last ones were GW models for my Imperial Guard), and I'd forgotten how much I hate, *hate*, HATE, assembling tracks.  This is also proof positive that I prefer 1/48th scale over 1/56th for ground vehicles.  The 1/56 versions are positively TINY.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 01:22:25 PM »

Other WIP is a terrain table.  Intended for SAGA, but it'd work for BA up to about 750 points.  I've been working at this off and on for a long time now, and I only now found a resin for the water I'm OK with.

The white in the water is Woodland Scenics Water Effects, which I applied last night and which are still curing. Unfortunately, the river is too small for my Viking Ship, so I'm probably going to have to build a coastline board in the future.

The edging is stained basswood, to protect the foam making up the board. It also gives me a basis to attach the boards; the big issue with multi-part boards is getting the things to stick together. I'm going to attach velcro straps to the basswood on the outside, so that will hold the two board pieces flush against one another.

After all the water dries (probably end of day Friday), I'll go back through and clean up the sand on the board. There's some places where the water resin splashed, I need to even out the edges of the river (they don't *quite* match up), and I somehow completely fucked the sand along the edge of the road where the boards meet.

Still, for the first time I've ever done a build like this, I'm fairly happy with how it's turning out.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »

Looks good. One thing, the universal carrier has a capacity of 5 men. Need 2 carriers to ferry a full section about the table.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 02:23:48 PM »

Looks good. One thing, the universal carrier has a capacity of 5 men. Need 2 carriers to ferry a full section about the table.

It's for a 5-man Commando section.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »

Travis, your stuff looks great. I like how your infantry look exactly like how they're going to look after I mortar them a few times.  :D

Rob, excellent stuff as well. Looks like you could do a 1000-pt fight already. That's good info in regards to the 1/48th scale tank. I wasn't giving it much thought before. Mind if I ask where you purchased the tank?

The board looks great, I REALLY like that low-water crossing. All I've been thinking about lately is how to build a modular board system and make it look good. Watching videos of demo games, you get to see these incredible tables of terrain. I want my own! I'm shooting for a final board setup of 4x6, so going to start with 4x3 and go from there. I wandered around Jo-Ann fabrics yesterday and found some mini-trees that are great and were marked way down.

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 03:37:18 PM »

http://tobispaintpot.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-new-horizon-tutorial-for-flexible.html

I'm tempted to give this method a shot to make up a transportable board.  Just need to figure out a way to get a sufficiently large plywood board home to be a stretcher, or build a frame.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »

Check this guys board out. It is on Warlords forums.

http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26029

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:47:43 PM »

Rob, excellent stuff as well. Looks like you could do a 1000-pt fight already. That's good info in regards to the 1/48th scale tank. I wasn't giving it much thought before. Mind if I ask where you purchased the tank?

The tank is a Tamiya, since they're basically the last word in easily-available tank models.  I had to order from Tamiya's online site directly, though.  Crusader models are extremely uncommon at best; they had a limited service life and weren't very "flashy", so there aren't a lot of kits like there are for the Sherman or the Tiger.  In Cincinnati, if you want a 1/48th Tamiya model, go to either Hobbytown USA off Fields-Ertl, or go to Boardwalk Hobby Shop in Hyde Park (I can't remember which is closer to you).

I'm actually at about 900 points without the Commando squad, but I can probably make it up pretty easily with unit options.  I'm going to have to proxy my snipers with the Boyes AT Rifle team, since British sniper teams don't seem to be a thing in a specific miniature form.  Irritatingly, there isn't a scoped Lee-enfield in the Perry Desert Rats box, either.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 07:37:37 AM »

Rob, I probably have a couple on one of the sprues from the starter box. It would be plastic and might fit your needs. Don't know when I could get it to you, though. The weapon sprues have multiple weapons for making different models.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 10:49:28 AM »

Check this guys board out. It is on Warlords forums.

http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26029

Wow, that's amazing. Read the whole thread. Glad he switched to fence around the church, instead of hedges, as it was starting to look a little claustrophobic in there. Really stellar board though. I think I'm going to start with some simple tiles (2x2 MDF) with ground cover, and use scatter terrain to add to it.

I feel as if something like this, minus the buildings, would be easy to pull off as a starter board:

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »

Rob, I probably have a couple on one of the sprues from the starter box. It would be plastic and might fit your needs. Don't know when I could get it to you, though. The weapon sprues have multiple weapons for making different models.

Phil, I know you aren't doing BT anymore, but I'm planning on having my Bolt Action stuff with me on Saturday for after the game so we can futz around for a few hours (probably with Bolt Action 1st edition, but the basic mechanics are close *enough* that it's still worthwhile).  Game-off for BT is at 5:30 sharp.  Would you mind dropping by Saturday evening?  If you want to run a demo, that's cool, but at the very least I'll be there and can grab the sprue from you.  Alternatively, I can stop by your house (you're still in NKY, right?) on the way home, but I don't know offhand specifically when that would be.  If you want to go that route, please PM me your address since I don't have it anymore.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 10:56:20 PM »

So rob, should we print out some sort of list?  For messing around sake, I have infinity minis but those will work as none of my stuff has arrived yet.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 11:22:11 PM »

So rob, should we print out some sort of list?  For messing around sake, I have infinity minis but those will work as none of my stuff has arrived yet.

Yeah, what the hell.  Say a 750-pt list.  I'll see about bringing my Imperial Guard Cadians as well - they can proxy for pretty much anything, worst-case.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 01:09:33 PM »

ive still not got my list together but want to watch a little before I head out after to get a feel for the game
Die Clanner!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4