CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Work in Progress!  (Read 8296 times)

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Work in Progress!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »

I don't think I've got enough assembled to put together 750, I'll probably shoot for 500. That's assuming I can even make it, still trying to work that out.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »

I have a 500 point list ready to go. 

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 10:51:36 AM »

Today I am putting the tactical fannypacks on my guys.  Does anyone know if there was any rhyme or reason to what side they wore them on?

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »

If you are referring to the bread bag, I believe it goes on the right side. The gas mask canister I have seen mounted all over the back along the waist belt or on the suspenders.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 12:50:52 PM »

Awesome, thanks.  Yea, the breadbag/canteen/zeltbahn strapped together part of kit, possibly with entrenching tool and bayonet.  Easier and more amusing to just call it the fannypack but I'm sure it had a proper name.  I found a few reenactor videos on youtube which also made for good walkthroughs of where things were held. 

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »

The horrible realization you're well past a platoon in strength and there's more in the mail still...

5 squads of 7 rifles, LMG and rifleman/loader, and NCO.  One short squad of pioneers..or something, almost all SMGs from previous build stuff, and an LMG with loader.  A few gun/mortar teams finally glued to bases. 

Puma and SD.KFZ 251 waiting for stowage to be glued on.  Pz IV wearing a FW190 as a hat until I figure out how to mask the cockpit glass and put together some sort of flying base for it (modded from a wheels down model).

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 10:34:52 PM »

Addicting isn't it.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 10:15:05 AM »

Currently have most of my metal airborne based, and spackling material added to even out the bases. Painted 3 guys to an acceptable table-top level during the BT game last Saturday. Haven't based the LMG team yet, and haven't even touched the new plastic sprues.

Also started working on my Sherman M4. Mostly assembled, but then I got bogged down in tank history/design for awhile when I was looking at that .50 cal on the pintle-mount. Just looked like it made no sense. Did a guy have to stand on the tank hull completely exposed to shoot the thing (yes, and good luck shooting at anything not in the front 180°), or could the commander possibly operate it from the hatch shooting towards the rear (maybe, not very comfortably). Did the thing get in the way of the hatch itself? Yes, which is why so many early M4 crews "donated" the gun to their attached infantry.

The fact is, it was generally just a terrible place to put a pintle-mount MG, as shown on the M4 version I've got. I guess this gets reflected in the "open-topped" rule being applied to the tank if anyone dares to use it.

That being said, I converted the pintle-mount to magnetic and now the gun snaps on and off with a satisfying click. While I was at it, I attached the US commander with a magnet as well, and will eventually do the same with the British commander so I can switch them out. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to mod the hatch covers in order to have them open or closed at will. They're very tiny pieces and I haven't figured this out yet...

Will get some pics on here soon.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 01:56:59 PM »

.50 cal on the pintle-mount. Just looked like it made no sense. Did a guy have to stand on the tank hull completely exposed to shoot the thing

Yes, actually.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »

The rest of my post got cut off.

On early Shermans (without the cupola), the machine gun was mounted on the commander's hatch ring, which rotated. As such, it could be behind, in front of, or even at the side of the commander. Depending on where h e was firing, he could do it standing in the hatch.  Once the cupola had been mounted on the commander's hatch, the TC'd MG was by default mounted on that rear pedestal.  It's important to remember that the pedestal-mounted M2 on the Sherman wasn't intended for use as an anti-infantry weapon.  As originally-designed, the Sherman had a hull-mounted .30-cal and a co-axial .30-cal for use against infantry; the turret-mounted MG was intended for use as an anti-aircraft weapon, either by the TC or by an allied infantryman on the top deck.  In theory, then, unless your tank was the specific target of the aircraft, the operator of the turret-mounted MG wouldn't be exposed to enemy small-arms-caliber fire.

In practice, of course, the crew of the Shermans used the .50 against basically everything that didn't warrant a main gun shell and accepted the marginally higher personnel losses.  It's important to remember that some crews dismounted the rear pedestal mount and strapped the gun (or replaced it with an M1919 .30-cal) to the cupola.  While this had the effect of better protecting the TC when he was firing, it also massively limited the arcs of fire of the weapon, and especially the sky arc.  The M2 was so long that the gun couldn't be elevated sufficiently to meaningfully track airborne targets (the back of the receiver and the TC's body couldn't both occupy the space of the turret hatch opening at the same time).

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »

Sherman has been base-coated, decals added, and then I started experimenting with weathering powders. Got the tracks mostly done on one side, and then attempted to use white weathering powder to apply a winter white-wash look on the same side. It really looks good! But so does the green! I told my daughter I couldn't figure out whether to white-wash the whole thing or stick with the regular green and weather normally.

She suggested I buy another tank so I can do both. Awesome girl.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »

No pics, doesn't exist.😂 Sounds like you have raised her well.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »

Actual minis arriving from Britian #tkingadvantaageofBrexit

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 02:26:59 PM »

My first plastic minis assembled. I built the M1919 as a MMG crew, but the guy in back is on a magnetized base and can be removed if I need to use them as a LMG. I wanted to have a MG crew that was standing instead of all being prone, so got that accomplished.

Built the prone guy as a generic spotter, guy with the sidecap as an officer (including SMG). Lot of work putting these together, and I'm going to have SO many leftover parts. I need more plastic torsos! That being said, they're pretty fun to build.

Here's the M4 Sherman:

Sorry about all the dust on it. This was sitting on the table all weekend while I built the plastic troops. I think I need to add more white pigment to complete the whitewash look on that side. Once I think it's right, I'll do the whole tank.

I wanted to paint, but the idea of 24 unassembled infantry was driving me nuts. I didn't want to end up in another Robotech situation with a bunch of unusable sprues with unbuilt minis. At least once they're assembled, these guys can immediately hit the table and start earning their keep. Besides, the more I complete, the more I can justify the next purchase!  :D

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 10:12:10 PM »

So what I've discovered more than anything in wargaming I love terrain building and setup.  So here is the evolution of building stone walls, none are done and iced over yet, but a good start.

Wall one, too much glue resulted in the base of the wall collapsing.  Laid on its side it worked as a wall
 https://pix.sfly.com/c3OpiK  
https://pix.sfly.com/kQws1u

2nd wall, one I will use but no retaining side walls gives it a crumbling look.  Certinly going to happen as the wall takes hits, but still not what I was going for to build a modular larger wall.
https://pix.sfly.com/y-U3MP 
https://pix.sfly.com/EQKsFm

Final wall: put in sides and so got a wall I can place next to others to create a longer wall.  Also stack some version 2 in there as well for combat damage.
https://pix.sfly.com/kyrVYm
]https://pix.sfly.com/if9hdX

Link to album if things still arnt working https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/50105449307
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:29:26 PM by agustaaquila »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4