CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Work in Progress!  (Read 8297 times)

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Work in Progress!
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »

So here's what's on the table. First up are some metal airborne with cheap primer (mistake!):

Next are the assembled plastics:

Some MG teams:

Plastics with some basing material:

And lastly, my first batch of metal Airborne. Base colors, washes, some highlights. Still need additional highlights on gun barrels, another wash on webbing/backpacks, boot laces, knee/elbow patches, gloves/hands cleaned up, buttons, basing, and maybe helmet chipping:

I love these models because of the detail, but man is it kicking my butt. Just SO much stuff to get done, and then when I think I'm close, I end up discovering another detail. Fun though.

Glad you're enjoying the terrain-building Mike, looking good!

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2016, 12:20:08 PM »

Have a 1/2 section of British Airborne painted. Working on the second half. Ordered 2 more sections, will give me a platoon of paratroopers, then need to add the support weapons. Will give me a platoon of regulars and paratroopers. Try to get a decent pic of the finished minis.
Those are looking very good, Brian. I too like the plastics, wish the Brit paras would come out in plastic. They say by Feb., I will have all bought by then.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:25:55 PM by phlop »

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2016, 04:30:09 PM »

I recently picked up a few brits in a cheap auction. Could someone identify this part for me?

Just curious as to what it is, and I haven't bothered to research British uniforms yet. Also, do the Brits have an Engineer squad available to them? I've got the minis in that picture, but for the life of me I don't see an Engineering team available to the Brits on EasyArmy anywhere, nor in the AoGB book. Thanks.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 05:31:51 PM »

I believe it is a butt pack, the horizontal wood handle is the entrenching tool.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 12:43:51 AM »

I recently picked up a few brits in a cheap auction. Could someone identify this part for me?

Phil's on the right track.  It's not a butt pack by the technical definition, but is *is* an entrenching tool.  There was a canvas wrap for the E-tool's head, and the brown part is the detachable wooden shaft fitted into loops in the canvas.

Like so:

(ignore the SMLE bayonet/scabbard at the bottom)

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »

Thanks Phil and Rob! I first noticed it on a sniper I think, and I thought it was a backup scope or something, and then I started seeing them on just about everyone, and I was like why is everyone carrying these scopes? Haha ;D

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 11:32:12 PM »

Today's adventures in painting.

Got a squad and some primed over the weekend, and EVERYTHING is finally done with having grit applied to the base.  Can see the mortar team in the back.

And got some color tests sorted.  Will be washing these next and figuring out the rest of the gear colors.  The grey helmet may be painted up in splinter camo, im not sure yet.

Next up once those are done is some DAK uniforms and half DAK half ...not DAK outfits.  Unit was in Italy, and made up of guys that got out of Africa.  Consensus seems to be they wouldn't throw away their old pants.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 09:04:25 AM »

Looking good. Just starting my Germans. I like the flower pot for background. Not much of a green thumb.😃

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »

Nice work! Those are looking good.  (^_^)b

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 01:15:44 PM »

Started working on my teddy-bear-fur game mat. After I painted until my recently reconstructed shoulder felt like it was going to fall off, I couldn't resist putting down a few terrain items to check it out. The railroad bed road is not the intent, eventually the roads will be painted/textured directly on the mat, but they weren't as easy to see in their current form.

Dawn raid, hit the Germans before they've had their coffee and brats.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 04:25:41 PM »

Incoming fighter...

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2016, 12:58:33 PM »

Spotter with rifle:

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »

No pics today, I just wanted to comment on how great Bolt Action has been for pushing me out of my painting funk. Pretty sure my first BA purchase was in September, and since then I've gone through shoulder surgery/recovery which accounts for part of that time. Regardless, I've fully painted 45 miniatures since I started, as well as 2 Battlemechs. That is better than my previous 5-year output, and is also the equivalent to what Rob would refer to as a "Tuesday".  ;D

Completed minis:

20x US Airborne (metal) from Screaming Eagles box (various small arms as well as an LMG/MMG team, Bazooka team, and Light Mortar)
13x US Airborne (plastic) from BoB starter box (small arms)
10x US Army (plastic), a couple random sprues bought on eBay, this is my "Glider" squad
2x US Airborne (metal) Black Tree Designs Bazooka team

On the table:
11x US Airborne (plastic) from BoB starter box (small arms, and 3 LMG/MMG's & loaders)

Next up:
M8/M20 Armored Car (magnetized to be interchangeable)
US Para Snipers from Black Tree
...and more

How are everyone else's forces coming along?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »

How are everyone else's forces coming along?

A whole mess of jobs landed in my lap pretty much all at the same time, so I haven't gotten as much done as I'd like, actually.  I saw your aircraft, and thought that was actually a pretty neat idea; even if putting an air support model on the board is just a marker for your intended target, having an actual model as the marker will go a long way toward increasing gameboard immersion.

So, since I have a Desert Rat unit, I found the No 6 Squadron, RAF.  They were one of the premiere units in the North African theatre and recieved the relatively uncommon Hawker Hurricane Mk IID variant; with twin 40m gun pods under the wings for tank hunting.  This particular aircraft (Z -Zed, serial PB188) was the first Hurricane IID in the No 6 Sqn to make ace ("5 Panzer kills").  This is its paint scheme circa the 2nd Battle of El Alamein; in 1943 the squadron started using Mediterranean blue undersides and made mandatory the installation of aerodynamic fairings on the 40mms.

Also, not joking, the only 1/72nd Hurricane IID kit I could find was a (literally) 40-year old Aoshima model kit.  Fun fact: decals do not last on the paper for 40 years.  I highly recommend Blackbird Models decals (in the UK; they're on eBay), they got me the correct decals very fast and with very reasonable shipping.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »

Additionally, because everybody but Travis picked up Allied armies (Finns are neutral, Mike), I happened to snag a box of Wargames Foundry late-war Germans (30 minis for $6.50), and a $50 Amazon gift card provided two Tamiya Sfdkz.251/1s and a Tamiya Panzer MkIV Auf H for a combined total of of 49.97 with shipping.

I've been sitting on the Germans for a little while because painting Germans is basically a living nightmare.  Nobody makes the colors correctly, if you thought Olive Drab was a wide range of tones you've seen nothing until trying to research Feldgrau, and late-war Germans had huge mixes of early, mid, and late-war gear in their units anyway; late war Germans wore a LOT of green and not the stereotypical "German grey" we all think of from film.  Luckily I'm not doing a Fallschrimjaeger unit and their camo patterns.

I'm essentially putting together a platoon from 1st Company, 1st Battalion, 115th PzGrn Regt, 15th Panzergrenadier Division, mostly because only the 1st company in a PzGrn Regiment actually got to ride around in half-tracks.  Also, they were in constant combat in Italy through 1943 and promptly got moved up to the northern Western front to rest and refit in late May, 1944.  That long stretch of combat followed by an R&R means I can justify a mix of uniforms within the unit.  I still can't find anybody (Vallejo, Reaper, Humbrol, Model Master, GW) who makes a good grey with blue undertones for that classic German look.

These have JUST been started this week.

1 Squad

2 Squad; yes, of course I have to paint the Splinter pattern camo smocks

Officer with an SMG NCO, a medic, and two runners

"Spare" guys.  This mix allows me to throw a 2nd LMG into one of the squads (historically accurate for Panzergrenadiers), and to load the other squad up with Panzerfausts to go tank-hunting.  Finally, there's a scoped G43 sniper rifle in the box that's the only one on the market; the dude who gets displaced out of the squad by the 2nd LMG becomes the sniper's spotter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4