CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Naval historicals  (Read 1023 times)

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Naval historicals
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:51:59 AM »

I'm getting back into playing world of warships on the computer.  Between that and some of the really pretty ships that have been popping up on 4chan (thanks Rob) I've started looking at what's out there for naval games.  I think at least a few of you collect and play, what scales do you focus on and do you have any favorite systems?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Naval historicals
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:13:26 PM »

Well, obviously for me, I've got a fair number of German and British ships in 1/2400.  Primarily WW1 stuff, sourced from GHQ (capital ships) or Panzershiffe (cruisers and DDs).  I also have about 80% of both the US and Japanese OOBs for Midway (Japanese CVs converted and painted to be correct, damned left-side islands) in that weird 1/1800 scale that Axis&Allies War at Sea used.  I don't have nearly enough planes for 7 CVs, though, and I'm missing the Japanese BBs and MAYBE one of the US carriers (they've been boxed for a few years now, I can't recall).

Rules-wise, I favor General Quarters 3: Fleet Action Imminent.  I also have a homebrew system I've been toying with that allows the player to custom-build their own ships if desired.  The homebrew (Gratuitous Battlewagons v0.2) is intended to allow the player to control 1-4 capital ships and actually make them feel like ships; most systems which aren't Harpoon! or Seekrieg reduce ships to a small stat block and a "blob" of health.  It's actually very similar to Alpha Strike vis a vis BattleTech.  The problem is that the naval games on the "BattleTech" end of the scale are so complex as to be almost unplayable...which is a whole different issue.  Gratuitous Battlewagons is intended to allow ships to be fought in detail and take damage in detail while still being reasonably playable.

Travis, are you going to be there tomorrow?  I'll bring a printout of the GB rules, if you'd like to read them.

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »

I will not be there tomorrow unfortunately.  I'll have to take a look at them when I'm down next!  I know what you mean with the complexity curve going from simple to B5wars very quickly in these rules sets.  I've been fiddling a bit with marrying a levs type system to a single hex/hexless system as that seems to be a decent balance point from the little I've seen.  I just don't know much about actual organization systems

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »

I had a passing interest in GHQ ships and had a rule set called, World War II: Command at Sea. I believe it is out of print.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 08:16:36 PM »

I have a smattering of WWII, 1/2400 ships [mostly US, Japan, & GB].  I will bring them tomorrow for the curious.  I usually play "SEAPOWER" by Alnavco.  I believe I recently showed Rob the rules.  The ship stats in the game covers 1920-1945.
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."