CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: my squad stuff to get/use  (Read 5048 times)

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
my squad stuff to get/use
« on: October 09, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »

what im looking to make/get

(unit list revamped)

OPERATION OVERLORD Theater list

HQ .........................93 points
2nd LT (50) Regular (SMG)
+1 aide (10)Regular (M1)
Medic (23) Regular (pistol)
+1 aide (10) Regular (carbine or M1)

Light Mortar Team.....46 pts....veteran paratrooper (2 men)

Able Paratrooper Section..........185 points......Veteran
NCO (78)
+5 men (free)
+6 men (78) (2 with carbines)
30 cal (20) with loader (carbines)
NCO SMG (3)
2 ADDITIONAL SMG (6)

Baker Paratrooper Section..........185 points......Veteran
NCO (78)
+5 men (free)
+6 men (78) (2 with carbines)
30 cal (20) with loader (carbines)
NCO SMG (3)
2 ADDITIONAL SMG (6)

Charlie Glider Section..........158 points......Regular
NCO (60)
+5 men (free)
+6 men (60)
BAR (5)
NCO SMG (3)
2 ADDITIONAL SMG (6)
AT grenades (24)

Delta Glider Section..........125 points......Regular
NCO (60)
+5 men (free)
+3 men (30)
BAR (5)
NCO SMG (3)
ADDITIONAL SMG (3)
AT grenades (24)

30 CAL MMG Team x 2.....100 pts....Regular

Sniper Team.....54 pts.....Regular (Pistol SMG)
Team(52)
SMG (2)

Total: 1000 pts

possible buys

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/us-airborne/products/us-airborne-1000pt-d-day-invasion

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/us-airborne/products/us-airborne-parachute-infantry

thinking this should get me enough for both teams at what I need

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:08:01 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: my squad stuff to get/use
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »

Which Theater Selector are you using, if any?  I'm pretty sure you need to equip the entire squad with anti tank grenades, not just 1 or 2 guys.  So for 12 men its +24 points. 

I'm not sure how to read your #/#/# and (1-#) notation.  Is this for inexperienced/regular/veteran?

The halftrack mounting a mortar would be an M4 Mortar carrier, and takes up your tank slot.  It does not carry any troops around.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:48:05 PM by Riegien »

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »

made some fixes to better read it so others can understand my random breakdowns

now I wasn't sure about the grenade thing and wanted to ask and im glad I did that makes it easier.

the // is based on possible combinations and is basically for me if im out and about to have a quick reference basically x number of whatever at number of squads gliders for example since im up in the air about if I want veterans or regular or combination those are just the combinations based on that

These would be for late war Europe
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:28:51 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 11:01:03 PM »

for the airborne units when it adds the lmg to the platoon and says one man becomes a loader does that need an additional 13 points ?

looking on warlords website they did a point breakdown for an infantry squad wit nco with smg 6 rifle 2 smg 1 lmg for 172 points my math only adds up to 159 the only thing that would make sense is it should technically be an 11 man team then not 10? It would make sense that the extra man is not included in the man count itself of individual units but as a part b of the lmg unit but I would think that the cost would be in there already for the lmg if that was the case. can anyone shed some light?

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/us-airborne/products/us-airborne-1000pt-d-day-invasion

78 for the squad itself 13*4(52)for their math on number of troops added in addition to the standard 9 for the 3 submachine guns including the ncos and the lmg which is 20 altogether is 159

also can someone check my math on these units I mean per their math on that site im getting all 12 men for 6 points more which is off

also if I choose airborne as my theme I cant mix glider/paratrooper/regular army squads in my reinforced platoon correct or no? if not this may make this a bit easier for me to make my units
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:29:33 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 01:33:15 AM »

I'm having trouble following your questions.  Are you pulling from the Armies of the US book or the main book?  Are you using a specific theater selector from that book or not?  If you're not sure we can talk through what those mean.

As far as the LMG teams go, you buy your guys.  You spend extra points to give one of them a LMG.  One of the other men in the squad, other than the NCO, is designated as the loader, and needs to stick near the LMG for it to work at maximum efficiency.  I've got my loaders identified by carrying ammo crates, but otherwise they're just standard riflemen/smg troops.

I'm guessing there was a typo when they added up the list, or they assumed squad A had an additional man for some reason.  Their math is wrong for the squad composition.  Squad C cannot be built at all using the Paratrooper infantry type either.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 02:02:18 AM by Riegien »

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »

I'm guessing there was a typo when they added up the list, or they assumed squad A had an additional man for some reason.  Their math is wrong for the squad composition.  Squad C cannot be built at all using the Paratrooper infantry type either.

Why is the math wrong. Easy Army Builder shows that the Reinforced US Army Platoon can have up to 5 squads plus MMG's, HMG, Light, Medium, or Heavy Mortar. Then the sniper team, bazooka team, flamethrower team. Keep adding or adjusting until you get to 1000 pts.
Each squad can have up to 12 men. 1 NCO and 11 others.

Branden, go to this link and work out the your points there. It does it for you. The points shouldn't change much, he hasn't got V2 in there yet.
http://boltaction.easyarmy.com/BAPlatoon.aspx?Platoon=1&PDF=62&Company=69
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:10:56 AM by phlop »

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:21:08 AM »

I was just pulling from the us book itself for troops I wasn't sure if we were going through a specific theater for the group or just make a force. I wanted airborne of some sort because of my great grandfather was airborne but I can't find enough info on him yet to know if he ended up being in 101 or 82 etc as far as I know he went behind during the Normandy invasion with very little training from what I came to find so far he enlisted in April of 44 for all I know he could have been in a glider even.

The issue Phil is that the link I posted shows that squad with only 10 men for that cost which my math I couldn't get without adding an 11th man to the stick including the nco unless it's meaning a 10 man unit with an nco in addition which would make it an 11 man unit overall and give the right math

So my general question to make it simpler is when building a force you can mix group types like if I wanted a
Airborne and glider team with standard army elements in addition like what I drew up here can I do so? I just wasn't sure if I had to go all paratrooper if I wanted paratroopers. Now I know scenario wise depending on what it would be it would make sense to have mixed units or all of one element. I know with an airborne landing it's generally going to be all airborne until ground elements reach them
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:24:04 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »

Ah ok.  Cool.  We're playing cross theater/cross era.  So we could have players with North Africa British vs Iwo Jima japanese vs Finns.  Play whatever inspires you, it should balance out.  And if not, we'll figure something out. 

As far as Airborne goes, theres the following options:
American Generic Reinforced Platoon - any 2 to 6 squads.
Anzio Theater selector-Core 2 squads are regular army, supplemental troops can be parachute troops
Normandy Landings Theater Selector - Core can be paratroopers, supplemental troops can be paratroopers and glider troops.
Market Garden Theater Selector - 2 to 6 paratrooper or glider squads
Battle of the Bulge - Core can be paratroopers, supplemental troops can be paratroopers
Bastogne Theater Selector - 2 to 6 paratrooper squads

For the groups that let you mix, you can mix any and all of them together.  Its not one type of squad or the other.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 11:34:20 AM »

that helps a bit im working on that site and have come up with 4 different options but im not sure on what point value for sure to go to because there was some uncertainty if we would be doing mainly 1000 point with the occasional 500 or 1200 in there for sure. Only question after that is are we adding vehicles to those paratroopers sections depending on scenario or can I assume if I want those vehicles are mine
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:38:16 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »

Yea, seconding Phil's suggestion to use EasyArmy.com.

I'm not absolutely certain it's 100% correct, and it doesn't include the new US Paratrooper Squad (Late War) that was released in the new starter box. But I do think some of the errors I've discovered aren't actually errors, and instead I'm seeing additions and changes based on other new releases and books.

For instance:
Theater: 1944 - Bastogne
Infantry squads: USA book - Paratroopers only; EasyArmy - Paratroopers OR Veteran Infantry
Additional Inf squads: USA book - Paratroopers only; EasyArmy - Paratroopers, Veteran Infantry, Pathfinders Squad (max 1)

So, I think the extra options available are due to either new product releases, such as boxed sets, where they said you can add this unit to certain selectors, or because of additional info in new books such as Battleground Europe: D-Day to Germany. Pathfinder squads don't even appear in the USA book (they're not the same as a Glider squad). So, that's the nice thing about the EasyArmy website, it brings all these separate bits of info together.

Here's the new squad from the starter box by the way:

US Paratrooper Squad (Late War)
"The US Paratroopers (Late War) count as an infantry squad for the purpose of the generic Reinforced Platoon selector from the Bolt Action rulebook. They can also be fielded on any selector that allows US Paratroopers from Operation Market Garden onwards.

Cost: Veteran Infantry 84 points
Composition: 1 NCO and 5 men
Weapons: M1 Garand rifles or M1 carbines (rifles)
Options:
 - Add up to 6 additional men with rifles for +14 pts each
 - The NCO and up to 4 men can have submachine guns instead of rifles for +3 pts each
 - Up to 1 man can have a BAR M1918A2 automatic rifle instead of a rifle for +5 pts
 - Up to 2 men can have a light machine gun for +20 pts - for each LMG included another man becomes the loader.
 - The squad can be given anti-tank grenades for +2 pts per man

Special Rules:
 - Tank hunters (if anti-tank grenades taken)
 - Stubborn. Paratroops don't give in easily! If forced to check their morale when reduced to half strength then they always test on their full morale value ignoring any pin markers.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »

now other then the vehicles question how often is it actually going to be necessary to have anti tank grenades or anti tank guns?

Also how often should vehicles be expected to be used considering the size of the play area last time wasn't exactly all that big?
Die Clanner!!!!

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 12:29:04 PM »

I think what you are missing is that you build your force and show up to play. Scenario is generated, you may be going up against someone who is bringing a couple of vehicles rather than lots of inf. Each player will bring at the given points value a different kind of force. So you don't know what you will be facing every time.
For instance this Sat. in Centerville, I am participating in a tournament. 1000 pts. Have my force built and ready to go, no idea what I will be facing other than other players with 1000 pts. It is up to each player to determine his force.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »

Ok that is correct I wasn't sure if it was true skirmish or if at any point were supposed to recreate something like the Normandy landings I mean I'm good either way but was hoping for some of those thrown in there if they weren't supposed to be. Also I'm assuming the force value we should be focusing on is 1000 but have about 1250 worth to mess with if we do more or change stuff out?
Die Clanner!!!!

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 01:29:48 PM »

Whether or not you take anti-tank stuff is completely up to you. But if you don't bring anything that can take out a tank, and the other guy has one, you'll still need to have a plan. Depending on the scenario objectives, it's entirely possible that you can get by without killing the tank.

That's the fun thing about not knowing what you're facing in advance. You don't really know if you're bringing an effective counter to it. It seems like building balanced lists is wise, but a specialized list can probably work too, as long as you know how to play it and address certain situations.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 01:35:01 PM »

Ok that is correct I wasn't sure if it was true skirmish or if at any point were supposed to recreate something like the Normandy landings I mean I'm good either way but was hoping for some of those thrown in there if they weren't supposed to be. Also I'm assuming the force value we should be focusing on is 1000 but have about 1250 worth to mess with if we do more or change stuff out?

I think we're starting off with just true skirmish, which means anything could face anything (might even be forces from the same country). Eventually, we might do a day where we build to a specific theater or something and all play relevant lists. This group is pretty resourceful when it comes to stuff like that.

I wouldn't worry too much about total force point values right now. As you play, you're going to keep experimenting and finding new stuff to try. When our historicals day is scheduled, we'll have a specific points value to build to. I believe Rob said to expect a lower points value to start with, but no doubt that is subject to the preparedness of the group. If everyone is ready to play at 1k, then we likely will.

By the way, I really like the Hellcat vs the M10. The Hellcat is 1pt flimsier, BUT you can take the Recce rule and still be cheaper than the M10. Recce has been toned down in V2, but is still really useful. Of course, buy whichever you want, proxy the other and play what you like.  (^_^)b   The M10 is available in a couple more Theaters than the Hellcat, but only a couple. Either choice is good.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:45:04 PM by serrate »
Pages: [1] 2 3