CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Branching into 28mm Modern Skirmish  (Read 830 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Branching into 28mm Modern Skirmish
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:46:28 AM »

I recently and mostly-randomly came into possession of a goddamn fantastic ruleset for modern (2001-2010) skirmish wargaming called Skirmish Sangin.  It's designed around in-depth action at the squad, or even fire-team, level.  In essence, that means if you're running a NATO/ISAF country, you need between 4-10 minis.  Total.  If you're running Insurgents, it's something like 6-12 minis needed.  And a 4 v 4-mini game is perfectly cromulent.  In practical terms, that means if you're buying minis from Empress or Eureka, you can get a force up and online for ~$25 including shipping.

The game is similar to the old GW Mordheim or Necromunda games, in that you develop a quick statline for each of your troops, and in the campaign system they can improve skills as you continue playing.  Overall game is a d100 task resolution system, with occasional d6 or Xd10 (mostly for damage, this).  Take stat, apply positive or negative modifiers to stat, roll under.  An M4 that hits the target does 2d10 damage, if your character has armor (usually 1d10+4) roll that and the remaining damage is your cumulative Wound Level.  A Wound Level of 13+ is a kill.  Wounded soldiers take penalties depending on Level, and also impose morale penalties on nearby friendlies (screaming and bleeding).  It also does a really impressive job of creating the "feel" of modern combat; for example it's the first game I've ever seen where if the NATO forces incur a casualty, they receive bonus Victory Points for successfully evacuating the casualty instead of leaving them to bleed out and die.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send a copy of the PDF to you.  I happen to have gotten a half-dozen 28mm Taliban for a secret Santa gift last year, so I'm jumping in because why the hell not?

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Branching into 28mm Modern Skirmish
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 01:11:42 PM »

I could probably be talked into it for a small group of dudes, but I know very little about how modern fights go, nation wise/troops wise.  The character sheet looks disturbingly like XCOM.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
Re: Branching into 28mm Modern Skirmish
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »

On a potential technical level, my gulam work great for this.  Outside of that no idea, although I now have around 8 of them.