CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Pathfinder-D&D 3.4-D&D 4. ???  (Read 3812 times)

maddyfish

• Corporal
  • The sword and hammer
    • View Profile
Pathfinder-D&D 3.4-D&D 4. ???
« on: November 18, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »

Ok, Pathfinder is alot like D&D 3.5? And D&D 4. is simpler? How much are any of them like D&D I played in the early 80s?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:57:09 AM by maddyfish »
Have Wasp, will travel.

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Patfinder-D&D 3.4-D&D 4. ???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:59:51 PM »

Pathfinder and 3.5, while not compatible with AD&D, are at least similar enough that a lot of things will be recognizable and seem familiar.  4E is a completely different ballgame.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »

And by different ballgame he means more like an MMORPG than old school DnD.  4E plays more like a miniatures skirmish game than a traditional RPG.  Patfinder is pretty good and fixes most of the issues that 3.5 had.  Sloppy DMs can still get blindsided by munchy tricks, but it's a bit harder to break.

Unfortunately the "it's printed somewhere so I get to use it" mentality is still there with Pathfinder players, entitlement players can be annoying.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »

Entitlement players can be a problem in any system though.  I feel that both PAthfinder and 4e The DnD combat game both took good steps to prevent super munchy stuff, although their success depends on your point of view.

One thing to note about 4e, it was disigned around balance, and so a 1st level wizard and a 1st level warrior are about equal in their usefullness.  No longer are wizards prone to getting killed by street cats at 1st level, they can survive and use their spells all day long.  My dislike for 4e was solidified when, at 1st level, my charging barbarian hit a ankeg, critted and killed it, charged another ankeg that was untouched, and killed it all in one turn.  So at first level I delt over 50 points of damage, and pulled off 4 attacks.  It was not DnD, it was built to be super minmaxed.  So while enjoyable, it felt like a combat game.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »

A whole bunch of agreement here.  My issue with 4E is that it feels like a superhero simulator with a thin veneer of fantasy grafted on.

YMMV.