CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Team base  (Read 3050 times)

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
Team base
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »

I think it is time for us to consider building a team base.  My character will put forward that his warehouse is available for use, although it might need some remodeling.  IF we want to do this, we can use our downtime remodeling it as an effective place.  However, we should look into this after fencing the gear.  Just something to consider, but something I think we need to consider.

Juniantara

• What do you mean my PC died again?
  • Private
    • View Profile
Re: Team base
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:53:59 PM »

I like the idea of a team base, but would like a little rules clarification - does it count as living quarters? If so, how do we pick the lifestyle level? What would the maintenance costs be for it?

Juniantara

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »

Brent has just informed me that he has Runner's Companion in PDF form. I'll take a look there.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »

If we will be laying low for a couple of months we will need to get a secure Matrix connection to the safehouse.  I need it to do my thing.

I agree, and the first thing that I want to do if we all move into that building is to increase the matrix connections, likely through a hardline.  If we make it bigtime we could then use that hard line, set up our own node and wifi inhibiting paper once it gets invented.

Edit:  Don't know if wifi inhibiting paper exists yet.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »

Under runner's companion, warehouse currently has the following stats:

Comforts: 2
Entertainment: 1
Necessities: 3
Neighborhood: 1
Security:3

Neg Quality: Worse Neighbor (-1)

which brings us to 9 total points right now.  Suggested upgrades are to the entertainment (which includes matrix connections) and to comforts.  If we want to improve the neighborhood, we will have to RP cleaning up the neighborhood, by doing stuff like bringing gangs under our control.  Ideas can be posted here.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:58:59 AM »

Under runner's companion, warehouse currently has the following stats:

Comforts: 2
Entertainment: 1
Necessities: 3

Neg Quality: Worse Neighbor (-1)

Since several people don't have the Runner's Companion, let me elucidate what this means.  Decide what you want to change and how much you want to change it, and I'll interpret that into a new rating.  Worry about what you want first, not "getting a higher rating" and then figuring out what to fill the rating with.  Also, as a note, some Qualities are simply not applicable to your situation (such as "Easy-going Landlord", "Free Access", or "AI in Residence").  If you desire to get specific Qualities, please ask.  Finally, be aware that, as a group safehouse, each additional person in the group after the first (Flick) will add 10% to the monthly cost of the lifestyle.  I recommend a group fund for this upkeep.

SAFEHOUSE RATINGS
Comforts 2: You own some cheap furniture, from S*Mart or second-hand.  You might have a single household drone to do some chores (ie, Roomba).  In your team's case, walls are 3/4-height cubicle walls that separate areas from one another.  The only distinct interior areas are the "manager's office" and the restroom.

Entertainment 1: A meager, inconsistent entertainment budget.  You go out of occasional drinks or attend a dogfight.  You might watch a pirated trid or cheap AR program on your link.  At this level, Matrix access is extremely spotty, usually piggybacking off a pirated feed or similar.  In your team's case, this is exactly how it sounds.

Necessities 3: Deals with necessities of life - food, water, clothing, shelter.  A comfortable home, with stable utilities (water, power), with the very occasional peak-hours brownout.  In your team's case, you're heavy on the "space" aspect of this (warehouses are large, folks), and less so on the "good food and water" part.  Your power and water utilities are pirated, but with steady feeds unlikely to be cut off.

Neighborhood 1: This neighborhood has some (mostly) inhabitable buildings, some shops and small markets (convenience stores and dive bars) that deal in certified cred only, and a large-ish gang or two who provide security.  You probably won't be killed for your shoes while walking the streets.  Police presence is minimal, and if they enter the area (after a high-profile killer, etc), they're coming in force and armed for Bear.  In your team's case, you have the advantage of few neighbors to worry about...except for the ghouls next door.

Security 3: Determines thieves will have to work to get access to your place.  You can feel reasonably safe and secure in your home.  In your team's case, due to your minimal extant Matrix presence, this aspect does not offer Matrix security aside from the basic installed Rating 1 firewall on the node (and no IC), but you've got excellent physical security, including R5 biometric maglocks on the doors, and embedded alarms, smoke, and fire detectors on all windows, and a hidden camera (Perception [4] to spot) that covers the main door hooked to the main AR.

Quality: Worse Neighbors.  Your neighbors have worse occupations than you, and they occasionally bring it home.  In your case, you've got a Ghoul Den next door; they eat people.  

Location, location, location:  As a reference, your warehouse is located at E Lake Sammamish Parkway & 187th Ave NE, at the north-east end of Lake Sammamish.  To reach downtown, you'd take the 202 west across southern Snohomish.  You're about a mile and a half southeast of Touristville, Redmond.  You're also just about half a mile (1000 feet north along 187th NE, 1500 feet east along 202) from The Skeleton; probably the hottest nightclub in Redmond, where every local talent hopes to perform and get picked up by talent scouts, and there rich kids from Bellevue drop in on a regular basis to "slum it".

Gang-wise, says Fuzz, you're right on the border between the Crimson Crush (Ork gang, wearing red leathers, who deal heavily in BTLs, small-time smuggling along the Lake, and go out of their way to clash with the humano-centric gangs from Bellevue.  They also operate as sort of a neighborhood watch, but it ain't free.) and a sub-chapter of The Cutters - a major Seattle gang with several hundred members across the metroplex (they're a much bigger fish than the Crush, but they mainly deal in major dockside smuggling and "local security" for Underworld organizations, and don't have the time or inclination to really mess with the Crush).  You're far north enough that the irradiated mutants of the Rusted Stilettos only rarely make an appearance; they mainly stay near Glow City, about 4 miles to your southeast.  When they do come up, though, it always spells trouble.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:06:29 AM by Darrian Wolffe »

Juniantara

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:40:50 PM »

Are we going to be using this as our primary residence as well?

In any case, I'd like to take comforts and probably entertainment up to a 3. I personally have no problem paying a little extra in Lifestyle so that I don't have to worry about incidental meals out and appropriate clothing for any situation.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »

OOG: Having dug back through RC it looks like Matrix connectivity falls under Necessities. I'd suggest bumping it to 4 to better represent the hardlines I'd prefer. We probably want improve comforts if this it becoming our primary residence.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »

Well, matrix connectivity falls under entertainment.  I would suggest we have the contractor make the base
Comfort 3
Entertainment: 3
Necessaries: 3

This is a total of 12 points with the qualities, I think this is a reasonable upgrade for our base, and we can expand from there.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »

Well, matrix connectivity falls under entertainment.  I would suggest we have the contractor make the base
Comfort 3
Entertainment: 3
Necessaries: 3

This is a total of 12 points with the qualities, I think this is a reasonable upgrade for our base, and we can expand from there.

This would translate over to:

Comfort 3: Your home has enough comfortable furniture to fill it.  It's mass-produced, but won't break when you sit on it (Trolls possibly excepted).  Walls have AR Wallpaper or decent paint, and you have a small collection of drones for household tasks.  In your team's case, you'll have build full-on walls to separate out the various rooms, have a central node and a trio of cleaning drones, and will have updated the warehouse node to where it can handle those drones without asking for directions every 10 seconds.  You'll also have furniture and appropriate storage space for everyone.  Oh, and you've added a pair of full bathrooms and a full-service kitchen.

Entertainment 3: Your home is well-equipped with subscription services, and you have the option to go out to eat regularly and attend the occasional large event.  in your team's case, this money is largely being spend on finding and tapping into an illegal Wired Matrix feed, setting it up so it'll be interrupted very seldomly, and anonymizing the hell out of it.  This'll also update your clothing and such - you won't have top-of-the-line Armani Suits for the Eye of the Needle resturant, but you'll have matched and fitted outfits that won't scream "Goodwill!" either.

Necessities 3: Deals with necessities of life - food, water, clothing, shelter.  A comfortable home, with stable utilities (water, power), with the very occasional peak-hours brownout.  In your team's case, you're heavy on the "space" aspect of this (warehouses are large, folks), and less so on the "good food and water" part.  Your power and water utilities are pirated, but with steady feeds unlikely to be cut off.

Neighborhood 1: This neighborhood has some (mostly) inhabitable buildings, some shops and small markets (convenience stores and dive bars) that deal in certified cred only, and a large-ish gang or two who provide security.  You probably won't be killed for your shoes while walking the streets.  Police presence is minimal, and if they enter the area (after a high-profile killer, etc), they're coming in force and armed for Bear.  In your team's case, you have the advantage of few neighbors to worry about...except for the ghouls next door.

Security 3: Determines thieves will have to work to get access to your place.  You can feel reasonably safe and secure in your home.  In your team's case, due to your minimal extant Matrix presence, this aspect does not offer Matrix security aside from the basic installed Rating 1 firewall on the node (and no IC), but you've got excellent physical security, including R5 biometric maglocks on the doors, and embedded alarms, smoke, and fire detectors on all windows, and a hidden camera (Perception [4] to spot) that covers the main door hooked to the main AR.

NOTE ABOUT MATRIX SECURITY: Your Matrix node is stable, which is part of your lifestyle costs.  Doing extra stuff to it, like loading IC onto it, increasing the system ratings, installing encryption, or installing an advanced Firewall, will be a separate cost.  That's something we can probably handle in about 10 minutes next Wednesday, though.

This lifestyle will cost $3,200/month base, with 4 extra persons (+40%) means that the final lifestyle cost is $4,500/month (4,480, but I'm rounding up for sanities sake).  Again, I suggest a group fund to cover this.  

Secondarily, you're dealing with shady contractors who want to remain anonymous (especially when dealing with find you a Matrix feed).  The flat fee to upgrade (actually have the construction done) will be $12,000 (base cost x3months, plus a fixer's "finder's fee" and a fee to ensure that there are no records of this construction kept on file...anywhere).  This does not impact monthly upkeep costs.

Finally, anybody mind if I draw up a floorplan for you?  I've got a 4 hour car ride and nothing to do...

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »

Finally, anybody mind if I draw up a floorplan for you?  I've got a 4 hour car ride and nothing to do...

I have no issues, if you want to do our work for us, go right ahead.