CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Magic group  (Read 2011 times)

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
Magic group
« on: February 02, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »

Name:  Way of the sheathed knife
Purpose- Provide stealth based phy adepts a place to gather together and enhance all parts of their training.
Traditions- adepts
Members- 2 founders
Resources- Squatter
Strictures- Exclusive Membership, Secrecy

With all the different magician groups out there, adepts sometimes get ignored.  This is a mistake, as adepts can be every bit as effective as a mage.  In order to remedy the lack of a group, Mouse and Flick are founding a group to initate together and increase their abilities.  Both characters are trained in stealth, but in different types of stealth.  Mouse seeks to enter places and leave no trace, while Flick embodies the stealth kill with his throwing knives.  All different types of stealth are important however, and so the two study together.
    In order to found the group, the two founders did a lot of work.  While they right now operate out of an old office in the warehouse the team uses as its base.  The group decided that being based on stealth, secrecy was a natural choice for a group stricture.  Also, one can have only one master, so exclusive membership also made sense.  While the group is still small, it has taken a long view on expansion and existence, as it is not yet powerful enough to hunt down the bigger threats of the 6th world.

(not official until this tag removed)
Brett, what changes do you want to see?

Founding numbers
Target #: 2 (# of members)
DP: arcana + logic +2 strictures +1 extra karma +2 month of exclusive preparation

I would suggest that we try to increase our die pool in the following ways:
1)  It costs 5 karma from each of us to create the group, and if we add +2 we get an extra dice on the test
2) I suggest 2 strictures for our group, for a total on +2.
3)  We should take a month to prepare to office as our first headquarters.  this will require us to be exclusively doing this and not anything else, but I think I can finish all my business in a months time.  This is another +2
4)  This is a teamwork test, so we get extra dice based on successes.  I plan to pick up arcana if you don't want to.  We both have the same logic, so if you pick up arcana then it won't matter who is primary and who is secondary. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:56:46 AM by agustaaquila »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Magic group
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »

This mostly looks good.  I'd like to see more details about your rites.  To initiate, a Bear Shaman may go on a vision quest, a qabbalist may need to perform inherent purification rituals, and so forth.  What are your rites in the group, and what sort of path do you follow, aside from the generic "stealth"?  What common culture or tradition binds you together?  I get that you're a stealth-based group.  Fine - now define that further.  How does will this group operate and train new members?  What will it do for people, aside from providing you a discount on future Initiations?  

Right now, you have a concept of a group, and have jumped straight to the mechanics.  Detail the group, please, and worry about the numbers later.

Oh, and be aware that the dues to keep the group operational will be $250/month (squatter lifestyle/2 members).  This is totally separate and above and beyond what it costs for the group safehouse and sundry.

Be aware that I've been victimized by players in the past abusing group rules for cheap initiations, and crazy metamagic crap for that matter.  Once bitten, twice shy.  Do your best to convince me this isn't solely motivated by mechanical bonuses (for the record, I don't believe it is...but I feel pretty safe in assuming that the 20% discount is a HUGE motivator in here ;)  )

Note:  I'm a huge fan of Ordeals.  Just sayin'.  For the nature of your group, Oaths, Meditation, Deeds, and Geas are particularly appropriate for what you folks are doing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:08:08 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »

Well, this is a starting point for Brett and I to discuss our group, find that middle ground and try to build something to role play from.  If I just wanted reduced costs, I would demand our group play missions.  But I enjoy the sandbox, and negotiating with another player to create something that just might outlive either of us.

And no, I don't want to RP having a kid.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:52:42 PM »

Well, this is a starting point for Brett and I to discuss our group, find that middle ground and try to build something to role play from.  If I just wanted reduced costs, I would demand our group play missions.  But I enjoy the sandbox, and negotiating with another player to create something that just might outlive either of us.

And no, I don't want to RP having a kid.

*snerk*

All right, all right.  Give me more fluff, and we'll call it good.  ;)

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 05:44:16 PM »

Sunday, Dec 12 2054
20:00

It was not raining in Seattle, which for a winter day was rare enough, but there was something else in the air.  Flick put down the textbook he had acquired in the U-district Magic Theory: an introductory primer for First Year Arcana Students .  (Arcana skill 1).  He felt something otherworldly outside the warehouse, calling to him.  He went outside and easily climbed to the roof.

There was something out there, to the south.  Flick knew that he could not see that astral, but he feared what he would see if he could.  Something was calling him from the south, something powerful.  He did not realize it, but he had gathered his coat and knives automatically before leaving the base, and he now followed the voice.

Sunday, Dec 12
21:17

Flick stood on a roof, looking down on the expanse of Glow City.  He thanked fate again that people never seemed to look up whenever they were searching.

He had wanted to found a magic group to grow in power.  He had been told about groups such as this in school when he was training to be a Ranger, but when the mages went to classes on this he was excluded as just an adept, such things were not for him to know.  He hungered to know, and thought that he could quickly and easily set his own group up.  The more he read on such groups, the more he realized that he needed to be more powerful before attempting such a thing.  And the way to power was through gaining a deeper understanding of magic.

There, three figures were wandering around, but Flick knew these three were his target.  They each wore a symbol identifying themselves as part of the same gang, and soundlessly Flick set out after them.  (3 successes v. 2 successes)

23:47
There had been some tight moments for Flick as the night wore on, and sometimes Flick thought for sure he would be spotted, but he just managed to stay in the shadows enough to avoid detection.  The city and the forests Flick were used to were different to sneak around in, with each having their advantages and disadvantages.  Still, Flick followed the group for over an hour, and while they met up and left others these three had a clear leadership, with one leader and two followers.  They were walking down a long circuit, and had just finished their second loop.  they would wait here for 10 minutes before setting out again. 

A voice sounded in Flick's head, "There are two ways to sheath a knife." "Showtime," Flick thought, and snuck into position.   (3 v. 2)

23:57.34
The three set out, but a knife slid into the back on one of the followers (3 successes on attack, 2 P resisted for total of 11 P)  and the body collapsed with a dull thud.  The leader looked around, and then pointed right at Flick's position.  Flick was monetarily distracted by this unexpected development, but his knife flew true into the second follower (2 net successes, 1P resisted for 11P), dropping him.  Flick smiled, this was all too easy.

The smile was wiped off his face when the stream on acid hit him.  (force 5 spell, 1 net success, 6P taken  4 resisted, knockdown)  Flick fell down with the force of the effect, and screamed as the acid ate away at his exposed flesh.  He looked, at the mage, preparing to die, when he from deep down his body speeding up, to speeds faster than he had ever felt before.  He felt more powerful, his connection to the world becoming more complete as magic surged through him.  The knife flew out of Flick's hand of his own volition, striking true and finishing off the mage who was already hurting from his spell casting (1 net, resist 3 but he had taken 6 in drain so 7 more kills him).

Flick smiled, knowing that he had begun to discover what exactly it meant to be more powerful as an adept.

23:57.40

Monday, Dec 13 3054

00:49

Flick stumbled back into the base, his face bearing some very ugly wound marks.  He takes off his mask, and smiles as he waives off concern.  He walks into the back room, and you can hear him mutter something about Brother Coyote.  (Initiate Level 1- gain PP to use for increased reflexes LvII.