CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Shadowrun, chummers! Do you speak it?  (Read 26267 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun, chummers! Do you speak it?
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2010, 03:50:16 PM »

Here's the trick, though, is that you shouldn't necessarily be expecting to be able to run pretty much all of your important programs ALL the time.  The decision-making and risk analysis/management is part of the game.  You can always choose to have all those programs running at once, but the downside is the Response penalty.  If you don't want the Response penalty, then you have to manage your risk and choose some programs to not be constantly up.  Conceptually, it's not much different than the Street Sam having to pick and choose what 'ware he wants because he doesn't have enough Essence to get it all.

Thusly, what we're going to do for the near future is run this as written in the core book.  That'll let me get a handle on what you are and aren't able to do.  If, after a few sessions, it's leaning toward "the core rules need modifying" to make the decker work, then we'll almost certainly swap over to the Unwired gear (plus being able to introduce the Unwired gear during play can be a good plot hook).  I need to see it in play for myself before I make a final decision on this.  I'm not saying no - I'm saying that I need play experience to make a final decision, and the dammed Matrix rules are unintuitive enough that I can't abstract them in my head to tell you one way or another which way I'm leaning.

However, on the "datatrail" thing...yeah, I'm generally not going to worry about that anyway.  I always assume that deckers are getting their programs from other Shadowland-types who are removing the copy protection (etc) as a matter of course (or they wrote their own software which didn't have that in the first place).  If you manage to get into an Ultraviolet host, they're probably going to be able to track you down anyway, legal software or no.  So under "normal" parameters, you won't have to worry about that, and ESPECIALLY not the degradation BS.  I don't want to have to track that, and I assume you don't either.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »

For what it's worth (and I dislike Dumpshock myself) Jennifer Harding actually posted up the mechanics and rules from the Matrix chapter intro in SR4A a while back.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=26473&st=0&p=804857&#entry804857

One of the DSF posters that isn't a total douche-canoe also maintains a decent Matrix rules/examples thread.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=23587

If you aren't doing the datatrail crap we'll introduce program options etc. once we're all comfortable with the mechanics.  Unwired makes it so I don't have to think or plan, I'd rather do it the RAW core way.  I'd only need to have full response and all my programs running if you're throwing me up against GOD.  Against normal security deckers and spiders that are chucking 10 or so dice it's a fair match.  If Pilot 6 IC on Rating 6 nodes is the norm I'm fairly screwed.

PS:  At Brett's request and for all our sanity I'll be dialing back my Brummie dialect for this PC.  I don't think any of us want to translate Brummie to English if we don't have to.

PPS: Note the handle change, I think the intentionally low-tech handle says alot about the character.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »

Rob, PM sent via obsidian.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »

Okay. I knew we were doing hacking wrong. I brain farted last night.

Hack on the fly (building records last night) is my hacking + exploit vs the node's firewall rather than firewall + system. It gets firewall + analyze with a threshold of my stealth to detect me.

I will continue studying the rules to minimize the embarrasment in future.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »

Hack on the fly (building records last night) is my hacking + exploit vs the node's firewall rather than firewall + system. It gets firewall + analyze with a threshold of my stealth to detect me.

Is that "the node's firewall" the threshold for your test, or is it an opposed roll?  It seems that if it's an opposed roll, it's almost impossible to fail to hack a node regardless of how secure it is simply by the dint of the fact that you're rolling 2 stats that range from 1-6 against a single stat that ranges from 1-6.  Having to beat the rating of the Firewall as a threshold sounds more in line with the overall RPG system.  Could you give me SR420A page references for your argument? 

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »

Page 235: Hacking on the fly is an Hacking + Exploit (target’s Firewall, Complex Action)
Extended Test. Reaching the threshold will get you a user account on the node. If you want
a security account, increase the threshold by +3, for an admin account increase it by +6.
When you beat the threshold and gain the account, you are automatically logged onto the
node with that level of access, and do not need to spend a Log On action (unless you log off ).
Such brute force hacks can attract attention. Each time you take a Hack on the
Fly action, the target node makes a free roll on an Analyze + Firewall (hacker’s Stealth)
Extended Test. If the node detects you an alert is triggered, even if you have succeeded in
your attempt (Alerts, p. 238).

Essentially it's Hacking + Exploit (Firewall, Complex Action).  Each time I try it rolls Analyze + Firewall (Stealth).

If I'm going for a security account it's Firewall +3, Admin is Firewall +6.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »

OK, so the Firewall IS the threshold for the Hacking+Exploit!  Good - that's what I had thought.  Thanks!

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2010, 06:27:31 AM »

Total brainfart. Spoofing uses firewall + system as does probing over the long term. That's where I got confused and mis-remembered.  

edit: for clarity of above

Found another broken rule, Page 337 on Medkits:
The medkit’s rating adds to the dice pool of all First Aid Tests, and replaces the character’s skill if the character doesn’t possess the skill (Medkits and Autodocs, p. 253).

So I'd be able to heal more by defaulting from logic 5 than with Rating 1 First Aid?

Appears to have been fixed on page 124 of Augmentation:

The maximum number of boxes that   First Aid can heal is the Rating of the medical equipment or the First Aid    skill of the character, whichever is higher (see   pp. 242–244, SR4).    So it behooves characters to use the very best medical equipment when   dealing with severe injuries.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:48:10 AM by Knightofargh »

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2010, 07:48:23 AM »

Rob- PM sent to you.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »

Travis:  do you have any additional information on your contacts besides their names and ratings?  Even just their races and a bit of personality?  If so, please post it.

Mike: do you have racial data on Flick's contacts?  If so, please post it.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »

posted
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]