CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Sunday Game Thread  (Read 4096 times)

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Sunday Game Thread
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:39:05 AM »

Per Mike's request, splitting this out for ease of use.

Having discussed timing with Rob, Other Rob, Brett, and sundry others...

The current best time/day for us to get the game back up and running again is looking to be Sundays.  Rob indicated a preference for a longer weekly session if possible since I'm wanting to change things up into a rotating GM and system format.

Current options look to be Sunday from 7:00 to 11:00ish or (preferably) 5:00 to 11:00.  The plan is to run an adventure and then switch to a different GM and system, this prevents both GM and system burnout.  This format works best with no more than four systems, current options are below.  The 7:00 start will be necessary if Maria is planning on joining us.  So feedback below please.  Volunteers to run below as well please.

GM/Systems
1) Rob, Shadowrun
2) Brent, Alpha Omega (high tech future with aliens, probably a wilds campaign), Pathfinder (low fantasy mounted chivalry campaign, set in Eosia), DragonQuest 3rd ed. (Emberverse/Changeworld post apocalyptic, set in a modern world where technology stops)
3) Brett, Pathfinder/OGL (core books only, low fantasy) or DragonQuest (low fantasy or Emberverse)
4) Other Rob, volunteered to run a game, possibly Warhammer Fantasy
5) Mike, volunteered for Alternity

Current plan is to meet at my place next weekend and hash it out there.  5:00 on Sunday work for everyone?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:47:34 AM »

I'm friggin' there.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:42:22 PM »

Having run ye olde numbers we could theoretically do as many as five games.  Essentially with four games running weekly we'll come back to each game every 8 weeks since 12 hours is a good number for most arcs.  Five games pushes it closer to 10 weeks.  My preference would still be to keep things around four total games.

Details on what I'm offering to run below:

1) Alpha Omega, it's a unique system that I think works well.  Magic/Science users aren't that overpowered since wielding effects are obvious and showy.  Since wielding has a cost it doesn't annoy me like most magic systems.  The core mechanic is however many dice you wish to commit from a limited pool + your skill level against a TN that is highly variable.  It runs cleaner with more experience, GM organization is the actual key.

2) DragonQuest 3rd edition, set in S. M. Stirlings "Emberverse".  In March of 1997 technology stopped working due to an inexplicable change in natural laws, specifically the ideal gas law and conduction.  Essentially gases don't expand how they used to and electrical charge potentials beyond a mmA don't work.  Neurons work, electricity doesn't.  Lightning still works.  The system is a rules light (outside of combat) old school wargaming style RP system based on hex movement.  Minis must have a clear front side since facing matters.  The system is low fantasy like the LOtR books, PCs can expect to scale from Samwise to Aragorn over the course of their career.  I might allow magic in the game as I'm considering the "Astrid is right and it's the next age" approach to the game.  Anyone who has read the books gets the joke, the rest of you may now stare blankly at your monitors.

3) Pathfinder, set in Eosia.  Many years back I ran a long term mounted chivalry campaign set in the Eddings universe from the Elenium/Tamuli.  You will be a party of church knight novices.  True healing doesn't exist, healing acts as regeneration.  Lances are one shot items that break.  I'll be using PF since it will balance better than when I ran it under 3.0 OGL.

Comments and questions below please.  All of those campaigns take serious planning so I need to get cracking once I have a general consensus.

Brett is planning on running DragonQuest 3rd if I don't.  I don't know what else (beyond PF) she feels comfortable running, I wait for her input.

I'm emailing a link to this thread to Other Rob so he can add his bit.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »

Parents are in town, but I expect them to be gone by 5:00.  See everyone there.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »

Primary victory conditions met: Game order determined.

1) Alpha Omega: Operators Gone Wild
GM: Brent
System: Alpha Omega
Setting: Stock, game is beginning in Farthington in the former state of Georgia.
House rules:  See separate thread

2) Fantasy RPG
GM: Brett
System: DragonQuest 3rd edition
Setting: TDB

3) What Piece of Work Is Man?
GM: Rob
System: SR4A
Setting: Seattle, 2052
House rules: See thread

4) Fantasy RPG
GM: Other Rob
System: Probably WHFRP
Setting: TDB

I'm going to jump out on a limb and suggest that we start with the AO game next weekend.  Please take a look at the thread I'll be putting up soonish with house rules and back story.  If you have PCs already generated, advance them to 750 total CDP.  I'm starting things as if you have completed Milk Run.

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »

Would you like seperate subforms for each game?

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »

Would you like seperate subforms for each game?

At least for the AO game. Might as well move it before thread bloat happens.