CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Character Development thread for Mike's Game  (Read 5520 times)

wamsheb

• Shows Promise
  • Foxtrot November Golf
    • View Profile
Re: Character Development thread for Mike's Game
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »

Rules Issues:

1) I think you've spent a LOT too many BP.  As of right now, here's your BP breakdown:
-The issue was I was listing the totals for my skills, not the ranks.  I have changed this in my post and it should be more clear now.

2) You may not take more than 1 Knowledge Skill at Rating 6 (SR4A, pg 85).  You currently have 3 selected.  So that'll have to change, unless they've been purchased up with Karma.
-Read answer one.

3) The Flight Skill does nothing for you, since it's used for PCs who can actually fly (Eagle shifters).  
-Read answer one.

4) Clarification: Your martial arts subsection should read something like:
-Changed

SUGGESTIONS:

1) The first and most obvious thing is to suggest you take the Athletics Skill Group at Rank 1.  You've already got all the skills in it (Running, Climbing, swimming), and by taking the Group you spend 10 BP, instead of the 12 BP total spent to buy each of them at Rank 1.  I recognize you MAY have already done this (which might be how you've got Flight, which also is part of the group if applicable), but it's worth mentioning.
-Read above.

2) Your current base damage is 10P (magic).  3S from your STR score, +6S from your Critical Strike, +1 from Wildcat, and converted to Physical(magic) damage from Killing hands.  You're punching somebody as hard as a Panther Assault Cannon will hit...before you stage the damage via Hits.  While that's undeniably awesome, it may be worth sacrificing some of that damage ability for some utility.  Picking up a couple levels of the Counterstrike ability, for example, means that you're essentially purchasing bonus Hits in the event you Block your opponent's attack.  With CS Rating 2, for example, you get 2 automatic hits on your next attack plus the net hits you got when blocking, which itself is a dice roll of your Reaction+Unarmed Combat.  So by sacrificing a guaranteed +4 DV (1 Power Point worth of Critical Strike swapped for 1 PP worth of Counterstrike), you'd gain the ability to add between +2 and +17 to your DV.
-I read the Counterstrike as adding bonus dice to the next attack roll, not automatic hits.  Also, I didn't know if using "block" (the only defensive action you can do with unarmed, that I can tell) vs a melee weapon would actually work (read as injure me). The issue is from a power point efficiency, I can have either +3 to hit (increase combat skill), or +6 damage due to the warriors way quality.  In the event that I can block a sword with unarmed combat and not get hurt, and counterstrike adds "hits" rather than bonus dice, I'll consider swapping power points arround.

3) What will you do when somebody is too far away to be punched, or cannot be accessed?
-The point of the character is to hate guns, and not to fight unless they threaten my best friend.  If they are ranged and are threatening him, then I leave it to him to end them (since he is a long range person).

4) You did a dammed nice job stacking armor.  18 Ballistic is solid, and second only to Brett's Troll.  Something to keep in mind is that a full suit of FFBA is head-to-toe coverage.  It includes a hood and gloves.  That means that it will not always be possible to be wearing it - it's obvious you've got one on if somebody looks at you.
-the advantage of the full camo suit is that it is a full suit as well and has the chameleon skin mod, which I'm hoping can be programed by my techie friend to have different appearances (why I got a security upgrade for my phone).  I'm ok with not wearing it as I've adjusted my "fancy suit" armor numbers to include my mystic armor, and that should be good for day to day stuff, and as I need extra protection (based on knowledge of mission) I can scale up the armor in stages.

5) I am mildly concerned about your Elemental (Lightning) Hands.  We've had a Gentleman's Agreement at the table not to abuse Electrical damage (primarily via Stick N shock ammo), because the whole "resist with 1/2 Impact Armor, get knocked down and take dice penalties even if you succeed on a Resistance Roll" thing.  So, two things.  First, we'll need to have a discussion - as a table - to ensure this isn't going to start escalating into Electricity Damage Wars where Rating 6 Nonconductive becomes mandatory for all clothing forever.  Second, you're aware that Elemental Electricity always hits as STUN damage, right?  (SR4A, pg 163-4) When your Lightning Hands are active, it overrides the Physical damage component of your Killing Hands power.  You won't get all the crazy Electricity bonuses and get to do a huge amount of Physical damage.
-I thought I spoke with mike, but if it turns out it will be a problem I can change the element and the theme of the character.  I am aware that it would be stun damage, but killing hands is a prerequisite for the skill. It may also be physical due to "Elemental Strike enhances the effects of Killing Hands with an elemental effect..." (SM 176), but that wasn't the intent.  The intent was to be able to have some sort of armor pen, since unarmed attacks never get armor pen, unless you take "penetrating strike" (which only gives you 1pen for every .25 PP you spend... max 3).

6) Increasing Unarmed Combat Dice Pools as an Adept is tough.  You can't cyber or bio your way into extra dice.  The Improved Ability (Unarmed) Power is about your only way to get that done.  Fair warning.  On the good side, 15 dice is pretty nice, considering that almost nobody is going to have AGIL 6+ and Unarmed 5+.  Even an Unarmed Combat Reflex Recorder should only put them about on your level.
-I am aware, which is why I have the atribute boost (agi) ability.  I plan on either picking up more of that or the improved combat skill when I get more PP.

7) I don't know what Mike has said, but Weapon Foci are generally required to actually be "weapons".  Gloves aren't, really (Shock Gloves are, but they basically can't be made foci anyway).  I'd ask about a Cestus, Tekko, or Sap Gloves; neither appears on the Weapons List, but they're certainly weapons.  A thing you should keep in mind is that you aren't generally supposed to be able to use Weapon Foci in conjunction with Unarmed Combat - with a very few exceptions for specific Martial Arts styles (which is a deliberate advantage to those styles).
-This is something I specifically talked to him about, and he recommended "gloves."

8.) Last thing.  I would try really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hard to find BP SOMEWHERE to allow you to get your Martial Arts Advantage up to the 10-20 point region.  Maybe even swap martial arts given that the +1 DV to Unarmed attacks can be found elsewhere (seriously, look at Muay Thai - it's terrifying).  Why?  MANEUVERS.  Maneuvers are awesome, and you're limiting yourself to only 2 by having your Martial Arts Advantage at 5BP.  Finishing Move and Riposte both allow a bonus attack in the same phase.  Ground Fighting is important because when you get shot (even in melee), you usually get knocked down.  Think about using Vicious Blow with your Elemental Hands (it'll convert the Stun damage back over to Physical).  Watchful Guard and Multi-strike better allow you to take on multiple opponents, and since runners are often outnumbered...  Hell, the Set-up and Finishing Move combo is insanely good.  Therefore, I'd try hard to find some BP.  Offhand, I'd pull 1 point off of your Body score (it won't affect the amount of armor you can wear; you're got 11 "effective" points, and a 6 Body allows for 12) to gain 10 BP, and plow that into the Advantage (total of 15 BP, allowing for 6 learned Maneuvers).  Maneuvers are cheap to learn in-game.
-The issue isn't finding the points for more martial arts, the issue is that martial arts counts as a quality and counts towards my max 35 BP in qualities.  I refuse to drop Adept, or Warriors way.  This leaves only Astral Chameleon and Erased, and both of these I think are better than the 1-3 ranks of martial arts that I would get for dropping them.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:38:55 AM by wamsheb »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 12:58:54 AM »

I'm REALLY bored, so I've been writing up some "spare" SR characters in the event Onyx gets killed (I'm unsure whether Mike running the game instead of playing PCs is more or less condusive to my survival).

This is a Troll Martial Artist that I drew up - inspired primarily by my conversations with Brian regarding Martial Arts.  Not likely to play this unless both Onyx were to die AND Brian played a different character focus, but amusing nonetheless.

Metatype: Troll

Body - 6
Str - 9
Agil -4 (6)
Reac -4 (6)
Intu - 3
Log - 2
Will - 3
Cha - 2
Edge - 2
Magic - 6 (4)
Essence - 4.542

Skills
Unarmed Combat (Kung Fu): 8 (10)
Longarms (Shotguns): 6 (.8.)
Etiquette: 2
Athletics Group: 2 (3)

Martial Arts Styles 4
Fashion 3
Fine Cuisine 3
Celebrity Gossip 3
Local Area Knowledge 2

English N

Qualities
Adept
Warrior's Way
Martial Arts (Kung Fu) 10
Biocompatibility (Bioware)

Geas (Gesture)
Distinctive Style (Flamboyantly Liberace)
Sensitive System

Contacts
?? (1/1)
?? (1/1) (free)

Adept Powers
Killing Hands
Mystic Armor R5
Critical Strike R4
Improved Unarmed Combat R2
Improved Longarms R1
Counterstrike R2
Total Power Points Used: 3.9375

Bioware
Enhanced Articulation
Synaptic Booster R2
Alphaware Muscle Toner R2
Essence Used: 1.458

Martial Arts Bonuses
+1 Dice to Block
+1 DV on Unarmed Combat
-Set Up Maneuver
-Finishing Blow Maneuver

IMPORTANT GEAR

Franchi SPAS-22 w/internal smartlink (included), Servo-powered Folding Stock, foregrip, sling,
20 rnds std Shotgun ammo
20 rnds Ex-Ex Shotgun ammo
10 rnds Capsule ammo w/Neuro-Stun loaded

Armor (total B 22/I 17)
Dermal Armor (1/1)
Mystic Armor (5/5)
Full-body FFBA (6/2)
Armor Jacket (8/6)
-Shock Frills
-Nonconductive R4
PPPS Forearms (0/1)
PPPS Shins (0/1)
Ballistic Mask (2/1)
-Respirator R6

1 months Low Lifestyle

1 Commlinks (1 public) – CMT Clip with Renraku Ichi OS (Browse @ R3, Virtual Pet: a tiny, jewel-collared Chihuahua)

R4 Goggles w/Image Link, Smartlink, R3 Vision Enhancement

Microtranceiver R3

x2 R6 Stimpatches

IMPORTANT DICEPOOLS
Unarmed Combat: 16 dice  (damage: 10P, astrally-active)
Blocking Melee Attacks: 17 dice
Shootin' Shotguns: 16 dice
Ballistic Damage Resist: 28 dice
Impact Damage Resist: 23 dice

“Funny what makes people afraid. A tiny little gnome can kill you plenty dead with magic. Some scrawny elf can put an explosive round through your skull. But what are people actually scared of? What's got them so shaken they need to cross the street when they see it coming? What's got them pretending they aren’t home? What keeps their hands near their sidearms? A big scary troll with big scary horns.

“I was born big and strong and tough. Nothing I can do to change that. So I make it work for me. People see a troll, they expect a thug.  Lucky me, when I landed a job cleaning a MMA dojo out near the Barrens, I got the chance to pick some stuff up.  Of course, just because I do my best work with my hands doesn't mean I can't enjoy life a bit.  I had to dare a little bit. Who am I kidding? I had to dare a lot. Don't wear one ring, wear five or six. People ask how I can fight with all those rings, and I reply, "Very well, thank you".
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:01:00 AM by Darrian Wolffe »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 05:16:09 AM »

I tend to play Martial Arts physads and Light Infantry types.  Well, here's the LI guy.

The way I look at enhancements for military personnel, they'd generally lean toward bioware, because it doesn't require power in the field and doesn't show up on magscans (and since cost isn't an object for a national government, the higher cost of bioware isn't a disadvantage until we start getting over 100k per item).  The upside for a runner is that bioware is a PITA to remove, and therefore you're more likely to come out of the military with bioware intact that with the easily-disabled cyberware.

Metatype: Human (4 BP remaining)

Body - 4 (5)
Str - 3 (4)
Agil - 5 (.8.)
Reac - 3 (6)
Intu - 3
Log - 3 (4)
Will - 4
Cha - 3
Edge - 2
Essence - 3.15

Skills
Automatics (Assault Rifles) 5 (7)
Pistols (Semi-Autos) 4 (6)
Athletics Group: 3
Etiquette: 2
Gunnery 4
Blades 4
Perception 4
Armorer 3
Demolitions 3

UCAS Military Procedures 4
Small Unit Tactics 4
Firearm Design 4
Explosive Chemistry 2
Classical Music 2
Bourbons 2

English N
Spanish 3

Qualities
Restricted Gear (Superthyroid)
Type O System

Sensitive Neural Structure
SINner - UCAS
Big Regret (Dishonorable Discharge)
Incompetent: Hardware, Software, Computer, Electronic Warfare

Contacts
?? (1/1) (free)
?? (3/2) - Ex-unit member
?? (2/3) - Fixer

Cyberware
Alphaware Wired Reflexes 2
Essence Used: 2.4

Bioware
Enhanced Articulation
Muscle Toner R2
Superthyroid
Reflex Recorder (Firearms Group)
Cerebral Booster
Essence Used: 0.9

IMPORTANT GEAR

Guns
Colt M23 Assault Rifle
w/internal smartlink, Gas Vent 3, Skinlink, Sling, Foregrip, Bayonet Mount

Ares Predator IV
w/integral smartlink

Colt M1991
-Vintage (non-compatible w/modern electronics)

Cougar Fineblade bayonet (short)

200 rounds Assault Rifle FMJ ammo
80 rounds Assault Rifle APDS ammo
80 rounds Assault Rifle Explosive ammo
100 rounds Heavy Pistol FMJ ammo
100 rounds Heavy Pistol Gel ammo
30 rounds Heavy Pistol Ex-Ex ammo

Armor (total B 18/I 11)
Full-body FFBA (6/2)

Camo Suit (8/6)
-Fire Resist R4
Chemical Resist R4
-Nonconductive R4

Zoe Executive Suite (instead of Camo Suit) (6/2)
-Long jacket (w/concealed holster), Shirt, Trousers

PPPS Leg & Arms (1/1)
PPPS Vitals (1/1)

Ballistic Mask (2/1)
-Respirator R6

other stuff
1 months Low Lifestyle

Public Commlink – CMT Clip with Vecotr Xim OS

Hidden Commlink - Novatech Airwave w/Iris Orb OS

R6 Goggles w/Image Link, Flare Comp, Low-light, Ultrasound, Vision Magnification

R3 Contacts w/Image Link, Smartlink, Vision Enhancement 3

R3 Earbud w/Audio Enhancement 3

Microtranciever R5

x2 R6 Stimpatches

Armorer's Kit

4 kilos (in 1 kg cans) of C-90 Rating 10 Explosive Foam

x6 Detonator Caps

R4 Fake SIN - linked to lifestyle
-Licenses @R4: Explosives, CCW, Cyberware, Bioware

R4 Fake SIN - nefarious
-Licenses @R4: Explosives, CCW, Cyberware, Bioware

Used Thundercloud Contrail Bike (-20%)
Used Chrysler-Nissan Jackrabbit Sedan (-20%)

IMPORTANT DICEPOOLS
Shootin' Assault Rifles:  19 dice (incl smartlink)
Shootin' Pistols: 18 dice (incl smartlink)
Ballistic Damage Resist: 23 dice
Impact Damage Resist: 16 dice
Visual Perception: 13 dice
Demolitions/Armorer: 7 dice

(It's 5am.  No Noir-style fluff.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:20:39 AM by Darrian Wolffe »
Pages: 1 [2]