CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Operation HENOUSE Mission 4 - 12/25/3046 (formerly Mission 3)  (Read 4867 times)

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
Re: Operation HENOUSE Mission 4 - 12/25/3046 (formerly Mission 3)
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2018, 10:26:57 PM »

The mission was always going to be tough. Running across the 17x54 map at a run of 6-9 mathematically requires 7-9 turns. The PCs decided to delay a few turns to allow the arty to get closer (arrival on turn 9) with the thought that the turns would go fast if they weren't engaging since the majority of the opfor was deployed on the back slope of the mountain.

They were partially correct. The first several turns took about 20 minutes each. At least partially, I seem to have disturbed the strategy.  I had deployed my lance of Scorpions on the front slope as spoilers to keep them honest. Rather than just sixing units to burn through the turns, they spent time jumping back and forth to keep their modifiers high so the tanks couldn't shoot them accurately.  This ate crtical amounts of time. Mathematically, the PCs lost the game around turns 3-6.

This was a case of a strategy looking good on paper, but not considering every factor in the decision process. In this case, time was the issue. There simply wasn't enough time to play enough turns to get across the map without being very agressive.

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2018, 08:21:52 AM »

The hidden weather was earthquake and after shocks. There was 3 or 4 times all mechs had to roll PSR at a +2 or +4 at beginning of turn to stay standing. Plus every pilot or gunnery roll that turn had the same modifier. :-\

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »

The hidden weather was earthquake and after shocks. There was 3 or 4 times all mechs had to roll PSR at a +2 or +4 at beginning of turn to stay standing. Plus every pilot or gunnery roll that turn had the same modifier. :-\
Between that and the patchy interference, there were a lot of high mod shots that limited the PCs ability to clear the field.

Athenry is definitely a world I would enjoy nuking again.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »

Between that and the patchy interference, there were a lot of high mod shots that limited the PCs ability to clear the field.

Athenry is definitely a world I would enjoy nuking again.

Two thumbs up would nuke it again - says everyone who comes off Athenry
Die Clanner!!!!

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »

I had a good time.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]