CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Public Review: Campaign Rules v3.0  (Read 2102 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Public Review: Campaign Rules v3.0
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »

THESE RULES ARE NOT IN EFFECT YET

Please review and comment in this thread.  The changelog is located in the main rules thread.

All meaningful comments will be given due diligence, but there is not a guarantee that just because something is commented upon it will be changed.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Public Review: Campaign Rules v3.0
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »

The rules as posted in the rules thread look fine to me.  I have a couple of additional suggestions for things to add.

1. References - it would be helpful to know where the definitive price list is for components, SPAs are documented (some are in A Time of War, not all are), etc.  Anything specific to our campaign that could be contradicted by other stuff leave uncited or note that what's here takes precedent.  Especially for new people coming in understanding what books to buy/have access to would be helpful.

2. Recruiting new wingmen - Given the option of having a 2 mech lance as a starting point, I think it would make sense to have a way of recruiting additional pilots with Mechs.  This could also be useful if something horrible happens in the early days of a lance's career.  I can see possible abuse where wingman is recruited and then the mech given to a better pilot.  What I would suggest is that a wingman can only be moved to a comparable or better mech of a class they can pilot.  I would think this allows for some flexibility in lance management while minimizing or eliminating the possibility of abuse.  Thoughts?

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:13:32 AM »

In the summary on page 2, it is stated that players will receive tech support hours. this should probably be revised.
Also, since a 4 mech lance could/can always operate short, I am unsure that the 2 or 4 mech lance distinction is necessary or beneficial. Maybe change the wording to up to 4 mechs?

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:35:52 PM »

There is also one within the skills that was bothersome. The description for Multi-Task is not there at the bottom.
Not so much a major issue, but just a gripe on my end.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 07:00:23 PM »

Reinforcement times for unit level assets should be clarified to include how the strategy rating is determined.

Example:
The unit Marksman artillery will deploy onboard. The tank moves at 4/6, so it will arrive on turn 12-4-[Strategy] = ?
Is it the unit commander's strategy, the local CO's strategy, the Marksman's, etc.?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 10:55:48 AM »

Reinforcement times for unit level assets should be clarified to include how the strategy rating is determined.

Example:
The unit Marksman artillery will deploy onboard. The tank moves at 4/6, so it will arrive on turn 12-4-[Strategy] = ?
Is it the unit commander's strategy, the local CO's strategy, the Marksman's, etc.?

Um.  That's a really good question.

I'll see if I can figure out how AtB handles it during breaks in painting, otherwise I'll come up with rules for the 3.0 set.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »

Example:

Um.  That's a really good question.

I'll see if I can figure out how AtB handles it during breaks in painting, otherwise I'll come up with rules for the 3.0 set.
Would be good to know before v3 for mission 3 choices.
It might be a good choice to say it is the local commander's strategy that matters just for variety and creating choices. If it is always the CO that matters only one player has to make tradeoffs.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:55:41 PM by Timberwolfd »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 01:07:01 AM »

Non-Mech Reinforcements

Non-Mech Reinforcements (vehicles and infantry; air units use BSP rules unless they're in an aero-only engagement) use the highest Strategy Rating out of all non-Mech units pulled upon for reinforcements.  All non-Mech reinforcements are lumped together as one ad hoc unit, and the highest Strategy Rating found in Unit Commanders (Platoon Leader; any designated Vehicle Gunner, ASF Pilot) is used for the ad hoc unit.  All other reinforcement equations are as normal; Thrust is treated as being equivalent to normal ground MP for purposes of reinforcement times.

The UNIT COMMANDER, if he appears on the battlefield as a reinforcement, can also sacrifice his own Strategy Rating in order to boost the arrival time of Non-Mech Reinforcements (essentially shepherding them to the battle area).  He can "loan" Strategy Rating to the Non-Mech Reinforcements at a 2-for-1 ratio.  These sacrificed points will affect his own arrival time as a Reinforcement Lance.  His Strategy Rating cannot be reduced below 0 as a result of this.

If no member of the Non-Mech Reinforcement Group has a Strategy Rating, then treat it as a -1 and figure the remaining equation normally. (Example 3)

Finally, Non-Mech Reinforcements are still bound to the Turn 2 limit.  No reinforcements can enter the board until Turn 2.

Example:
The following unit is being deployed as reinforcements in a mission. Striker Vee (highest Gunner's Strategy Rating of +1), Saladin Vee (highest Gunnery's Strategy Rating of +0), and a Vedette Vee (highest Gunner's Strategy Rating of +3).  The Vedette Commander's Strategy of +3 is used to determine the arrival time.  The final arrival time is calculated by taking the base time of 12, subtracting the Strategy Rating of 3 (running total of 9), and averaging the movement speeds and rounding appropriately.  The average Cruising Ground speed of this group is 6, therefore 12-3-6 = 3.  This group can enter on Turn 3.

Example 2:
The following unit is being deployed as reinforcements in a mission. Striker Vee (highest Gunner's Strategy Rating of +1), Saladin Vee (highest Gunnery's Strategy Rating of +0), and a Vedette Vee (highest Gunner's Strategy Rating of +3), Foot Infantry Platoon (Strategy +2), and Stingray ASF (Strategy +0).  The Vedette Commander's Strategy of +3 is used to determine the arrival time.  The final arrival time is calculated by taking the base time of 12, subtracting the Strategy Rating of 3 (running total of 9), and averaging the movement speeds and rounding appropriately.  
Foot Platoon = 1
Vedette & Striker = 5
Stingray = 6 (Safe Thrust is treated as ground MP)
Saladin = 8
The average Cruising Ground speed of this group is 5, therefore 12-3-4 = 4.  This group can enter on Turn 4.

Example 3
The following unit is being deployed as reinforcements in a mission. Striker Vee (highest Gunner's Strategy Rating of +0), Saladin Vee (highest Gunnery's Strategy Rating of +0), and a Vedette Vee (highest Gunner's Strategy Rating of +0).  There is no positive Strategy Rating, making the effective score a -1.  The final arrival time is calculated by taking the base time of 12, subtracting the Strategy Rating of -1 (running total of 13), averaging the movement speeds and rounding appropriately.  The average Cruising Ground speed of this group is 6, therefore 12+1-6 = 7.  This group can enter on Turn 7.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »

Reminder to add PC surviving headshot rule/clarification.
Frequency of medical check.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:43:49 PM by Timberwolfd »

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »

In the “Failing Refit of Customization Skill Checks” (p 20?) the positive quirk option would should be a 12 still lists a 2.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 01:23:28 PM »

One other thought, you have a good example of how customization works in a previous thread. I’d suggest including it or a link to the thread in the rules to add clarity.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »

Reminder to add PC surviving headshot rule/clarification.
Frequency of medical check.

I just realized I put this in the wrong thread.

Medical Care and Healing

Immediately following the game, each injured unit member should be assigned to a Lance doctor.  Each doctor can handle up to 2 patients.  After a battle, each wounded person should be assigned to a doctor.  On the following day, and on each successive week, the doctor will make one Medicine skill roll per patient assigned to them.  On a success, the patient heals 1 pilot hit.  On a failure, the patient heals 0 hits.  On a roll of 2, the patient will randomly lose 1 point from 1 random Attribute (BOD, STR, RFL, DEX, INT, WIL, CHA).   Natural healing without a doctor still tests every week with a base TN of 10, and an attribute point is lost on a result of 2-4.  Edge cannot be used to influence a Doctor or Natural Healing roll.
Green doctors have a skill rating of 9+, Regular of 7+, Veteran of 6+, and Elite of 5+

Any MechWarrior or ASF pilot who takes 4+ pilot hits during a scenario runs the risk of major long-term injury.  After the scenario, roll 1d6; on a 4+, the MechWarrior has suffered a Major Injury (Edge may be spent on this roll).  If an injury is suffered, roll 1d6 on the following table:
1: Major Broken Limb: No piloting for 3 weeks.  If you do, mark off 1 "virtual" hit at the start of the game, which also count for additional major injury checks
2: Internal Injuries:  No piloting for 5 weeks.  If you do, mark off 2 "virtual" hits at the start of the game, which also count for additional major injury checks
3: Concussion Symptoms: +1 penalty to Piloting.  Lose ALL Piloting or movement-dependent SPAs for 6 weeks, +2 weeks for each time you pilot a Mech while under these symptoms.  ASF pilots apply an additional +1 penalty to PSRs to avoid Lawn Darting.
4: Lost Limb (minor): no effect the first time.  Permanent +1 penalty from Piloting or Gunnery thereafter, unless you spend $30,000 and 5 weeks under medical care (no piloting, period) for an artificial replacement
5: Lost Limb (major): Permanent +1 from Piloting or Gunnery, unless you spend $50,000 and 8 weeks under medical care (no Mech piloting, period) for an artificial replacement
6: Catastrophic Trauma: Roll again (rerolling 6s) AND lose a point from a random attribute exactly as though you'd rolled a "2" on the medical check

Attribute Loss
BOD and STR attributes determine your total number of pilot hits.  If your RLF or DEX drop below 4, you are no longer suitable for a MechWarrior pilot and must retire.  If your INT, WIL, or CHA drops to 2 you are in a permanent coma and must create a new PC.  If your CHA drops to a 4 or less, you will lose one wingman “slot” each time (lose 1 slot at “4” and 1 slot at “3”); additionally, being a unit commander is REALLY tough without a CHA of 5+ (it affects contract rolls and Dragoons rating).
   If your beginning CHA is 4 or less, you do not lose those slots at character creation.

Medical assistants
Like Techs, Doctors require assistants.  We are assuming that you hire these from local personnel when you reach the planet of your contract, and these salaries are subsumed in the “Overhead Costs” section of the contract.  Basically, don’t worry about it.

Death and Edge Taxes
During a game, if a Lance Leader takes an effect which would result in their death (cockpit critical, cERPPC to the head, etc), the Lance Leader may permanently burn 1 point of Edge to miraculously survive the attack.  While this point of Edge may be repurchased with XP as per the normal rules for raising Attributes, no Lance Leader may burn more Edge than they started the game with.  In other words, if your Lance Leader started the game with 4 point of Edge, once he's used the "Burn Edge" rule 4 times, the next instance will result in death, guaranteed.  Nobody's luck lasts forever.  

Additionally, certain instances resulting in death may require additional burning of Edge.  Generally speaking, this is limited only to Area of Effect Attacks or environmental effects which would be effectively impossible to escape from. For example, ejecting unprotected into a hard vacuum or while underneath Depth 4+ water.  Or auto-ejecting from an ammo explosion as a result of a direct hit from a Long Tom shell (since the ammo explosion and subsequent auto-ejection interrupt the damage resolution step, strictly speaking the MechWarrior would be ejecting into the continuing AoE effect of the shell).  These may require additional Edge, up to the value of "everything you have remaining".  These points are considered burnt in the same manner as if they'd been spent individually.

A Lance Leader who burns Edge to survive cannot be deliberately targeted further in the scenario by OPFOR units, or further damaged by environmental conditions, though randomly-scattering damage may still impact the unfortunate soul.  The Lance Leader is immediately set to "5 pilot hits marked off", and must be medically-healed as normal.  Note that these 5 Pilot Hits can cause a Major Injury.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »

In the “Failing Refit of Customization Skill Checks” (p 20?) the positive quirk option would should be a 12 still lists a 2.

Fixed

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 11:41:45 PM »

I don't recall anything being specified about ranks within the unit. Can we promote our lance personnel? I am thinking specifically of promoting Rebecca Ramierez to Leftenant as the tactical commander of my lance when my PC is otherwise occupied.

Related question, can a player lance be fielded without the PC? Say if said PC is nursing the mother of all concussions and has 5 pilot hits...

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 08:33:24 AM »

In v2.2, it states  "Immediately following the game, each injured unit member should be assigned to a Lance doctor.  Each doctor can handle up to 2 patients.  After a battle, each wounded person should be assigned to a doctor.  On the following day, and on each successive day, the doctor will make one Medicine skill roll per patient assigned to them."

So we are changing that to each successive week now?
Pages: [1] 2 3