CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Unit Command Structure  (Read 2308 times)

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Unit Command Structure
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »

In term of command I’m up for it especially as my character’s skills and background matches well. 

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »

Question on organization.

Do we want to keep some of the faster groups paired with the slower units for homogenous flanking elements built in?

eg, Skaraborg, Freya and Midnight in one company.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 11:54:33 PM »

Question on organization.

Do we want to keep some of the faster groups paired with the slower units for homogenous flanking elements built in?

eg, Skaraborg, Freya and Midnight in one company.

I think that depends on what the intent of each company is.  If we organize that way, will missions be staffed that way?  If the companies are designed to be effectively autonomous I agree.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 12:26:31 AM »

Speaking in general: FYI, by a strict reading of the actual AtB campaign rules (the ones that used to come packaged with the program), you can only deploy reinforcements from the same company as the Local Commander.  This is something that's basically pointless to bother with until a unit gets well past battalion-size...but we're actually roughly at the point where that starts mattering.  I can put that rule into effect, if folks can't agree on a reason to structure companies a particular way.

The main reason to organize into companies is because it helps determine who's the Local CO, and who the Local XO can be in any given mission.  We've been fortunate not to take significant casualties during missions, but as the campaign difficult ramps up that *will* change, and Lance Leaders *are* going to get knocked out of battles, which means we need to know whose scores to use in that event. 

Speaking as Freya Lance: IMO my PC is suitable for a company command role.  Decent Strategy, decent Tactics, decent ride.  However, LT Hartmann is not built for overall unit command, and she would not be an optimal choice for an XO slot.  3iC is as high as she will be mechanically built to rise.  Additionally, Rob the player will refuse a position which puts LT Hartmann in the overall unit command for more than about 1 game, because the entire point behind retiring my last PC was so I wouldn't have to be CO *and* GM, and to be totally honest if I wanted that to happen I'd bring back Sylvie so I can drive that sexy Marauder mini around again.

Speaking as GM:  Couple quick points:
1) Ad Hoc and his kids are going to be a company, and I'm going make sure that if Mike is the Local CO, he gets to play with his kids unless he specifically requests otherwise.  (This same courtesy will also be extended to Hat and Ryan in the event that becomes relevant).  If I feel this is being somehow abused, that guarantee will end.

2) The rules require that a command structure be established.  This is a thing that is happening, regardless of anyone's thoughts on whether it's necessary.

3) People need to understand that these sorts of promotions and placement are the ultimate responsibility of the Unit CO; your opinions are noted and helpful and will be taken into account (notably options along the lines of "I don't want to be XO or in line for Unit CO"), but the final decision rests with COL Saltier.

4) If you're putting your hat in the ring (yes, I know our Hat is already in the ring) for Unit Command, be aware of the out-of-game time and effort requirements.  They are not insignificant (~4-5 hours/month in addition to your lance is probably the minimum).

5) If you want to overthink company composition, the best way to think of things is to put lances from the same Company in the same contract Role.  So, say, all three lances in Ad Hoc's company go in the "Scout" role.  This gives them the best *chance* of being deployed into the same sort of missions.  This means it's possible to end up with a "scout" company, a "Defense" company, and a "Fight" company, which indicates more homogenous company rosters.  However, many players have the capacity to meaningfully help in multiple roles (off the top of my head, putting Freya on "Fight" can lose you the use of a LAM for Scout missions), which is a strike against putting all the light lances in the same company and putting all the heavy lances together.  Additionally, just because a unit is on one role doesn't mean it can't be deployed into non-Role battle (IIRC, only the Local CO's lance is required to match up to the mission type); the computer can and will assign Dunedain (Fight) to a Scout mission when it fancies, though it is less common than Dunedain (Fight) being assigned Fight missions like "Stand Up".

Ad Hoc

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 03:54:06 AM »

As for my kids and I playing together. We appreciate being able to play together but it is not required for us to have fun. We have no problems trying to blow each other up ;D. So if it is decided that we need to be split up that is ok. Whatever the Unit CO feels is necessary.

As for being Unit CO or CO of a smaller group, I have enough troubles trying to keep everything up in between games. I would be willing to take a CO role as long it doesn't add a lot time more time to my responsibilities. Like Rob I would be willing to take a lesser command if any at all.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 06:12:21 AM »

I was only saying that it's not unheard of to have partial mixed company or battalions in combat situations or deployments

As far as co xo I agree its what's best for the unit and based on unit co

How many ppl have said to bad the promotions yours
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:08:47 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 07:07:01 AM »

As for my kids and I playing together. We appreciate being able to play together but it is not required for us to have fun. We have no problems trying to blow each other up ;D. So if it is decided that we need to be split up that is ok. Whatever the Unit CO feels is necessary.

As for being Unit CO or CO of a smaller group, I have enough troubles trying to keep everything up in between games. I would be willing to take a CO role as long it doesn't add a lot time more time to my responsibilities. Like Rob I would be willing to take a lesser command if any at all.
One of the reasons to put parent/child(ren) in the same company is the logistics of showing up. If you are able to make the game, your kids are likely to as well. With the same being true in reverse. I would be willing to bet that you are already doing everything we have in mind for a company commander currently. Also, if you don't want to be the company commander, you could designate one of your sons.

(Once you get to the point where Logan is driving and attending on his own, there would be less pressure to keep the three of you clustered.)

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »

Here is a proposed organization for people to comment on

1st Battalion
Alpha Company
Dunedain (Unit CO, Battalion CO, Company CO)
Crusher
Skaraborg

Bravo Company (CO TBD)
Reaper
Wolverine
Bright

2nd Battalion
Charlie Company
Dragon (Unit XO, Battalion CO, Company CO)
Ice
Dancer

Delta Company
Midnight (Unit 3IC, Company CO)
Freya

Another alternative is to organize on 3 reinforced companies

Alpha Company "Anvil of Rivendell"
Dunedain (Unit CO, Company CO)
Crusher
Skaraborg
Ice

Bravo Company "Grapthar's Hammer"
Dragon (Unit XO, Company CO)
Reaper
Wolverine
Bright

Charlie Company "Eye of Sauron""
Midnight (Unit 3IC, Company CO)
Freya
Dancer

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »

Ok, for a given mission here’s how I think it works, please correct or confirm.

1. All lances are assigned a role (Scout, Fight, Defend, etc.)
2. For each mission, lances are selected based on role REGARDLESS of organizational structure
3. Reinforcements come from the Local COs company

If that’s correct then I would think lances assigned to a company should be able to complement / support the commander’s role either in primary config or stable, but not share the same role. If all the lances within a given company are identified for the mission, there’s no one left to bring in as reinforcements.

Am I understanding things correctly?

I’ll hold off on commenting on your org breakdown, Jon, until after I’ve got the above correct.

One question, are you recommending Dragon as next CO or just filling in hypotheticals?

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 09:27:18 AM »

We haven't been respecting company organization and have been assigning lances to roles as needed. Company organization won't preclude heterogeneous assignment, but it will occur less often. Reinforcements will preferentially be drawn from the local CO's company.

At the moment everything is hypothetical. Mathematically, Midnight and Dragon are the two best successors. So it will come down to desire and available time, etc.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »

I’m flexible on lance assignments as long as they account for how we’ll be required to select reinforcements. IF we put the requirements into effect, is my understanding correct?

As for the time commitment, I don’t see any problem being able to put in the time.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »

I’m flexible on lance assignments as long as they account for how we’ll be required to select reinforcements. IF we put the requirements into effect, is my understanding correct?

As for the time commitment, I don’t see any problem being able to put in the time.
Ultimately, human factors like availability in real life, need to have players on OpFor, etc. will override "the rules" on occasion.
1. True
2. Mostly true. Lances are assigned roles which strongly influence selection for missions by AtB.
3. Reinforcements will preferentially be selected from the local CO's company, subject to IRL concerns.

Quote from: Hat
If that’s correct then I would think lances assigned to a company should be able to complement / support the commander’s role either in primary config or stable, but not share the same role. If all the lances within a given company are identified for the mission, there’s no one left to bring in as reinforcements.
Most of our lances are relatively similar heavy/medium cavalry lances. We don't have any light scout lances, Dancer is closest to that. We do have an assault lance, Skaraborg, with Dragon moving that direction. As proposed, they would be in different companies. The danger to the heterogeneous approach is unsuited lances in certain roles, like an assault lance on scout (unless channeling Steiner).

In the 3 company configuration, Charlie Company is likely to be put on scout more often. Alpha Company and Bravo Company are roughly equally suited for Fight or Defend roles. Of course different contracts have different numbers of required Scout, Fight, and Defend lances, which will require accommodation.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »

Jon, fair enough. I’m good with either the 3 or 4 company approach.  If we go with 4 we’ll need to identify appropriate names. :)

Ryan is starting out with a pair of 4/6/4 Mauraders. When he expands to a base 4 Mech lance he’ll be adding a couple of light mechs in the 850ish BV range to accommodate him upgrading his Maurauders to full 5/8/5s with better firepower and heat management. 

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 10:48:44 AM »

This assault lance was not my intention. I was hoping to keep it like I was doing, with two faster units and two support. Now I need to do something about my reinforcement numbers. Right now, since the Cicada and Dragon (7/11/7 and 5/8/5 (soon)) respectively, if I have both mechs come in as reinforcement, I am looking to arrive turn 3. Without the Cicada, I am looking at turn 4 still. Rest of my units are now 4/6/4, until we can get to a factory planet, where I can actually put my XL into Panther and MASC in Longbow.

Thinking about it,  I could just be mostly fire support this time around.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 10:52:08 AM »

I prefer the three company/4 lance approach as it allows us flexibility to detach a temporarily to shore up another company if its got members downchecked for whatever reason.  Delta Company could be our strategic level assets and honoring our predecessors, we shall never field in Echo Company.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4