CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Operation KESTREL - Solo Mission (Ice) - 12/26/3048  (Read 537 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Operation KESTREL - Solo Mission (Ice) - 12/26/3048
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »

If you choose to accept this mission, let me know ASAP, please.

I'm holding on continuing to generate missions pending this mission.

Do remember, the Fortress has SIGNIFICANT side weapons (and a Long Tom that can fire in a 360 arc using the point-blank indirect fire rules):
x2 PPC
x1 AC/20
x1 AC/5
x2 LRM-20
x2 LRM-10
x2 SRM-6
x2 Large Lasers
x4 Medium Lasers

EDIT: the above is "per side", not total.

Additionally, extreme weather conditions that make the extraction attempt actively suicidal will simply cancel the scenario, or generate an automatic reroll of that weather condition.  Nobody lands a DropShip in an F5 tornado.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:26:41 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
Re: Operation KESTREL - Solo Mission (Ice) - 12/26/3048
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 08:19:00 PM »

What kind of penalties can be expected per weather or day time changes for the dropship landing? I know a max washes the drop but wasnt sure of what the next worst condition would be. Also what exactly happens on a failed landing for a dropship lol I am assuming it crashes but to what extent. Also can I shoot the dropship on it's way down?(not that I wish to be anywhere near that)

Also is there some way to disable said dropship and what are its thresholds?(where can I find this sheet to decide if a longtom and the rest of that arsenal is worth trying to stave off on something that godly considering its a 3 gun)  ;D Also if I remember right that dropships range is pretty much the entire map correct?

It will be highly unlikely for my lance to keep any of my mechs alive once that dropship comes into play. 8 turns -2 or 3 turns for pretty much to position leaves me 5-6 turns to drop or disable 4 mechs somehow in wooded terrain plus range weather movements and more to stop the dropship from entering. Dealing with it once it enters the map is near suicide. PER SIDE those weapons ffs

7 mechs total would need to be killed for success - I think I could do this without the dropship

Im highly inclined to say reroll weather or day based on response to the above questions

most likely this scenario will be a no go in any result

There are more variables that have to go right to make those work than I would like to see
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:20:56 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »

So are you going to accept the mission?  Certainly more than I'd want to take on.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »

So are you going to accept the mission?  Certainly more than I'd want to take on.

Most likely not I want to see the answers to those questions before I decide

Disabling the dropship would be a huge buff to the unit.
(especially that one although fluff has weak structure not sure of quirks though)
The marauder and lancelot are for sure worth salvaging but I would end up selling the trebuchet prior to mission if I get convinced to do this mission of suicide to have an attempt at salvaging them. I dont think the risk is worth the 5% or less chance to capture the dropship although the one advanced tech mech makes it slightly tempting although still suicidal. Nothing like fast mediums and lights to ruin things though. (Not that I dont have spare parts although I do not want to lose those mechs that would be brought in)

I dont know if I would even get bsp. (I doubt it) Longtom to drop ships are fun but need to be able to spot to do so. If I did get bsp that means they get bsp most likely and that's just a bad idea with what they will already have.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:46:07 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 08:49:14 AM »

That's a true assault dropship man, seems like suicide. There's always the slight chance you threshold a cool crit through, but it's more likely your lance gets completely wiped out. If you were planning on rolling up a new PC anyway, then this could be a fun way to go out.  :D

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 08:53:21 AM »

That's a true assault dropship man, seems like suicide. There's always the slight chance you threshold a cool crit through, but it's more likely your lance gets completely wiped out. If you were planning on rolling up a new PC anyway, then this could be a fun way to go out.  :D

I fluffed my character a certain way and this would not be the choice of exit lol it will come at some point but not there XD
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »

1. You won't be thresholding a fortress. Period.
2. The DropShip is landing, so it won't start on the field.
3. Stay the #$%^!!! out of its firing arcs.
4. A larger map would be my first reroll...
5. Wooded Valley is a good map for your PC, right? It should slow down force 2 significantly and divide the two forces, pretty much forcing the OpFor player to feed you bugs for that extra XP sweetness.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »

1. You won't be thresholding a fortress. Period.
2. The DropShip is landing, so it won't start on the field.
3. Stay the #$%^!!! out of its firing arcs.
4. A larger map would be my first reroll...
5. Wooded Valley is a good map for your PC, right? It should slow down force 2 significantly and divide the two forces, pretty much forcing the OpFor player to feed you bugs for that extra XP sweetness.

I need to look into the firing arcs of drop ships

What kind of maps are we looking at as far as wooded valley?

Am I able to reroll and generate map before deciding to play?

Also what are the ranges on dropship weapons? I thought they were not limited by standard range ? If I can stay 22 spaces away at all times then its not as bad except the arty

I really am more inclined to pass this mission
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:07:28 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 10:07:47 AM »

Ranges are as normal while on the ground. Rob listed the side weapons in the OP. Spheroids have two side arcs while on the ground. Half on one side and half on the other. Wooded valley has woods and hills, but won't be heavy forest since the DropShip needs places to land. If you reroll, map size is your friend. I think if you commit to rerolling, you are playing.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »

So if it's a reroll I'm stuck playing it

If I get a big map with lots of woods and ravine with little access then that would be awesome but unlikely

It comes down to the unit CO deciding if it's a must or its suicidal to even think it and set up for the forces elsewhere

Also I know its weapons I am not entirely sure on how its arc works I'm assuming with spheroids it's only half and half while our dropship had a different one because it's more plane like vs spheroid

I was trying to figure out if it has a blind spots or not like the other. I am assuming no.

I wasnt sure it was like a vehicle that had side front back arcs
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:44:41 AM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »

Jon I think has already indicated he thinks it’s suicidal. This doesn’t feel like a critical mission where there are horrific outcomes if we fail to stop them leaving. My other question is what would need to be true for it to be worth playing the scenario for IC or OOC reasons. If it’s unlikely you’ll hit either, you’ve got your answer.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 11:18:26 AM »

Jon I think has already indicated he thinks it’s suicidal. This doesn’t feel like a critical mission where there are horrific outcomes if we fail to stop them leaving. My other question is what would need to be true for it to be worth playing the scenario for IC or OOC reasons. If it’s unlikely you’ll hit either, you’ve got your answer.
Not so much suicidal as a very definite time limit. Get in, kill things, stay away from the DropShip, profit.
Note that defender controls the battlefield at the end, so salvage is a thing. The real question is can you win in 9 turns or less and be in a place to escape from the DropShip's weapons on 10+. Also remember the /victory thing is a thing if you have satisfied the victory conditions.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »

I pass

Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 01:58:15 PM »

I pass

Noted.  Since I didn't have an opportunity to answer your questions, I'm still going to answer them.

What kind of penalties can be expected per weather or day time changes for the dropship landing? I know a max washes the drop but wasnt sure of what the next worst condition would be. Also what exactly happens on a failed landing for a dropship lol I am assuming it crashes but to what extent. Also can I shoot the dropship on it's way down?(not that I wish to be anywhere near that)

The DropShip is hugely unlikely to crash unless there's really serious stuff.  It has the option to make a "careful landing", which takes longer but gives a fair negative bonus to the PSR.  You could absolutely shoot the DropShip on the way down; however, it can of course shoot back.  Because the drive plume for a landing DropShip is a LOT of damage, what would most likely happen is that the DropShip would have to land well away from the OPFOR, and they'd have to make a run for it once it's down.

Also is there some way to disable said dropship and what are its thresholds?(where can I find this sheet to decide if a longtom and the rest of that arsenal is worth trying to stave off on something that godly considering its a 3 gun)  ;D Also if I remember right that dropships range is pretty much the entire map correct?

The Long Tom can only fire on the ground, and has a dead zone of 6 hexes around the DropShip, and a 0-turn indirect fire range of 17 hexes in all directions, and a 1-turn delay indirect fire range of "the rest of the map".  The other weapons have their normal ranges (Ac/20 is 1-9, etc).

Fortresses have ~160 armor aft, ~200 on the sides, and ~220 on the nose.  Nothing in your lance can threshold it, except the AC/20 Griffin, and then only from underneath, as it's landing.  EDIT: THAT IS A BAD IDEA.  However, because any aero unit does have a chance of crashing when hit in atmosphere, you could theoretically make it crash.  Crashing doesn't automatically destroy the DropShip, though it's likely to severely damage it and possibly prevent its liftoff.  If you crash the DropShip, congrats.  It's a risky play, but the reward is...well...a most of a DropShip.

It will be highly unlikely for my lance to keep any of my mechs alive once that dropship comes into play. 8 turns -2 or 3 turns for pretty much to position leaves me 5-6 turns to drop or disable 4 mechs somehow in wooded terrain plus range weather movements and more to stop the dropship from entering. Dealing with it once it enters the map is near suicide. PER SIDE those weapons ffs  

8 turns, plus its landing sequence, plus any time you take picking away at units as they move toward and embark on the DropShip.  Basically, staying on the move and staying out of 10 hexes isn't automatically suicidal.

7 mechs total would need to be killed for success - I think I could do this without the dropship

You could kill 7 of these Mechs with two of your lance, given the terrain conditions and the fact that 7 units of the 12 are essentially bugs or glorified bugs.  The DropShip is essentially a mission "timer"; yes, once it'd on the board and landed, getting near it is generally a bad idea.  It's up to you as to how long you stick around and push your luck once it's down.

I'll say the mission is *possible*.  I ran it last night using your Mechs/Pilots in MegaMek because Jon brought up a similar set of questions on the phone.  Generally speaking, as soon as you've killed off Force #2, and the requisite number of bugs from Force #1, hit /victory and call the game.  The DropShip had been landed for 2 turns by the time I won, but couldn't land its only Long Tom shot, and it was firing PPCs/LRMs at long range against running targets in Heavy Woods.  Your nice Griffin was on the ground missing both legs, your Ost was gyro'd out, and your WHM had 2 engine hits...but you accomplished the mission and recovered a Marauder, Lancelot, and 2 bugs in salvage, plus the Beemer pilot.  The mission is absolutely possible.  But I was a lot more aggressive in going after the objective Mechs than most people tend to be in actual play.

EDIT: When I ran it, I didn't have the benefit of Enviro Spec, because that isn't coded into AtB.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:06:03 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 04:42:10 PM »

I could probably win the scenario but I'd be lucky not to have more issues than what you had as I would probably play aggressive as well. Especially if I could create a gap big enough to stay at long range of the dropship. I will still pass as it is a given choice verse order. The unit needs as many bodies especially if we have back to back scenarios. Especially the lovely base defense that may come up again.
Die Clanner!!!!
Pages: [1] 2