CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: Operation KESTREL - Solo Mission (Phoenix) - 3/6/3049  (Read 796 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Operation KESTREL - Solo Mission (Phoenix) - 3/6/3049
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:30:28 PM »

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
Re: Operation KESTREL - Solo Mission (Phoenix) - 3/6/3049
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:45:24 AM »

The striker is a fast assault, similar to the Banshee, so be wary of it in close combat.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 05:46:52 AM »

Ok. Phoenix is a short lance (2 Marauders), so 6 to 1 odds. Thoughts?

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 07:14:16 AM »

I think his 2 marauders can do it
Die Clanner!!!!

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:35:22 AM »

Ok. Phoenix is a short lance (2 Marauders), so 6 to 1 odds. Thoughts?

The skulkers have 2 MGs and IIRC 1 SRM-4 between them.  The Scorpion SRMs can be outranged and killed.  The bugs are bugs, and the Hornet is a slightly better-armored bug.  The Shad is a Shad, and so is only dangerous in Melee (10 total damage potential past range 9).

The Striker has a PPC and an AC/5 and a large laser.  However it only has 13 single heat sinks.  While it hits hard in Melee, it's got a 6 pilot.  Given that Ryan can technically kill 3 things and just *declare* a victory?  This is one of the easiest solo scenarios anyone is ever likely to see.  Taking down the Striker is wholly optional; Ryan can kill off stuff until he feels threatened, and then bail.  This is like free XP.

(Which is one reason why I passed on a scenario with 6:1 odds.)

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:43:08 AM »

Fair enough. Not enough coffee this morning apparently.

Phoenix05

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »

I'm looking for little to no trees, please change re-roll trees if likely in my favor, otherwise generate scenario.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:44:20 AM »

I'm looking for little to no trees, please change re-roll trees if likely in my favor, otherwise generate scenario.

Remember that all of your PC's Unconsciousness TNs are at a +1 penalty due to Glass Jaw.  Let me know who your OPFOR is and I'll send them the Tactics and SPA information for the OPFOR force.

Final Scenario

NORTH

SOUTH

Maps
Grasslands 1.....Open Terrain 1
Battletech........Grasslands 1

Deployment
PC Deployment: Enter onto the board during your movement on Turn 1

OPFOR Deploy: Vehicle Units deploy onboard prior to Turn 1, on the southern half of the northernmost maps and within 5 hexes of the east-west centerline of the board; at least 3 vehicles must deploy onto each northern map, and no vehicle may be closer than 5 hexes from another vehicle.  Mech units enter onto the board during their movement on Turn 1.

Environmental Effects:
None.

Battlefield Support:
BSP are not used in this scenario.

PCs Victory Conditions:
1) Destroy (not cripple) at least 3 OPFOR units
2) Have at least 1 non-crippled Mech by the end of the game.

OPFOR Victory Conditions:
1) Lose less than 4 units
2) Destroy or cripple both player Mechs

***EXTING THE BATTLEFIELD***
Exiting the battlefield requires a unit to remain stationary at the board edge for 1 turn.  Only a single spent MP is required to move offboard (ie, the environments MP penalties doesn't apply; or, more specifically, the Minimum Movement rule overrides it).

***Captured Pirate MechWarriors recieve a -2 TN bonus to recruit.  Until they are recruited, Pirate MechWarriors have a small chance of attempting a breakout each month, which may result in injury or death to Lance Wingmen.  Pirate MechWarriors cannot be ransomed.***

***Pirates will attempt to capture ejected MechWarriors for ransom instead of shooting them..***

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »

Where do I find the Grasslands 1 map?  I saw something for preorder coming out in March, though happy to buy now if it’s available. Otherwise, does someone have a couple of copies I can borrow?

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »

Rob, I’m borrowing the maps and will run Ryan’s OpFor.  Please send me the info. Thanks.

Phoenix05

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 04:49:06 PM »

Great. Will begin soon.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 01:52:38 PM »

Part way through the combat. He can declare Victory at any time, his XOs Marauder has taken significant damage and is internal on his left arm.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »

Ryan completed his first Solo mission successfully.

Destroyed:
Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (x2)
Scorpion Light Tank (SRM) (x1)
Wasp (Head blown off)

Salvage
Decapitated Wasp
Legged Wasp
Legged Hornet

His XO's Marauder was definitely hurting.

Summary
The pirate forces' mechs surged forward as quickly as possible while the vehicles maneuvered at speed into flanking and eventually rear positions.  Phoenix Lance maneuvered for heavy woods and in the case of his CO ensured there were enough woods immediately behind to eliminate rear shots unless the units were in the woods.  Early fire between the two sides at range was largely ineffectual with the respective COs inflicting minor damage on the opposing forces.  As they continued to close each of the two Phoenix mechs were swarmed by six units, with the closer brutal exchange resulting in a smoking Skulker, heavily damaged Scorpion and an XO forced to steady his unit (PSR) from the weight of incoming fire.  Shortly thereafter the Phoenix CO blew the head off a Wasp, damaged another Scorpion and finished off the damaged Scorpion with a kick.  The Phoenix XO managed to kick the leg off the Hornet, again while sustaining significantly concentrated fire on it's left arm and right leg from the Striker and Shadow Hawk among others.  In the final decisive moments of the battle the Phoenix XO destroyed the remaining Skulker while the Phoenix CO legs the remaining Wasp.  The Striker tried hard to down the heavily damaged Marauder of the XO pouring more fire into the right leg, destroying a foot actuator and heat sink but was unsuccessful in coordinating enough fire against it or the damaged left arm.  With the Phoenix CO's Marauder only lightly damaged and the XO's Marauder still fully combat effective, the pirate forces withdrew (Ryan declared Victory) leaving behind the two downed Wasps and Hornet.

------------------
If interested I have pictures and a round by round write up in case that's preferred to the summary provided above.

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »

Well done, Ryan. (^_^)b
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."