CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New CO Nomination Thread  (Read 1275 times)

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: New CO Nomination Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 04:20:30 PM »

The natural limits for skills involving COs are on page 5 of the 3-1 ruleset. All it says is there is a cap on Admin numbers and the cap equation.

Since Jon had his skill at 3 already, nobody questioned it. Might be a good idea to put penalties in the rules as well to clarify effects of not having a min number.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:23:19 PM by deadlyfire2345 »

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »

I found the penalty. All unit lances have a -3 to their initiative score.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »

I found the penalty. All unit lances have a -3 to their initiative score.

And is that for the length of the contract or until the appropriate skills are purchased?

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »

Should be until the situation is fixed. If I’m the CO and we win the first mission I’m in, the penalty will be gone.  

At that point probably worth taking the penalty and not lose the admins.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:37:07 PM by Hat »

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »

That or trim some of the logistics admins. They provide the least real benefit to the unit and we have the most of them. We want to keep a couple of transport admins, but we could trim a few there as well.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 05:06:38 PM »

That or trim some of the logistics admins. They provide the least real benefit to the unit and we have the most of them. We want to keep a couple of transport admins, but we could trim a few there as well.

I'll take a look at the details within the unit TO&E in case I become unit CO.  I'm also curious how many green or regular admins we have that would be easiest to replace.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »

Ok, doing the review we've got 19 admins.  If Atayde becomes unit CO and takes the bump to Bureaucracy to avoid the -3 initiative penalty, he could only support 10 of the 19 with his Admin +1.  Bumping it to +2 allows him to cover 15 of the 19.  Failing to have a high enough Admin skill results in a -3 Initiative penalty in the same way it fails to support lances.  I would guess it's non-cumulative.

Rob: can you confirm if we'd be at a -3 or -6 initiative penalty?

I think I would bump the Admin to +2, and funnel the first 2 skill points into making it Admin +3 to clear both penalty generating positions.  I hadn't fully appreciated how skill intensive the CO position is.  At least that should be the last update for a while and then I can look to get my Gunnery down to a 3.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »

I just deleted a bunch of admins to see what happens.  Short version: you lose ALL the bonuses and cannot deploy on missions at all.

Evidently there is a "administrative man-hours" requirement, which is met by having a NUMBER of admins.  The bonuses listed in the campaign guide were for having GOOD admins.  It never occurred to me that people would just fire everyone but the minimum number of GOOD admins in order to keep the passive bonuses, so I didn't bother exploring what happens in this instance.  Whenever I play, I just hire a full admin platoon (28) and be done with it.

You have 19 current admins.  Each admin contributes 20 hours/week in administrative requirement hours.  From the looks of things, each person in the unit generates roughly 1 hour of required admin hours.   If you don't have enough admins to cover the hours, the whole unit basically locks up.  Probably until you fire people, but I haven't tested that yet.

tl;dr, firing a bunch of admins is probably a bad idea.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »

So, it looks like we need 12 or 13. 13 right now, but possibly 12 after firings and retirements. That would indicate we could drop to 15 without any real pain. Which would fit in Hat's skills.

Rob, can you plug in reducing the admin staff to 15? Keep 4 Command, 3 each or so of the rest.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:50:06 PM by Timberwolfd »

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 05:56:02 PM »

So, it looks like we need 12 or 13. 13 right now, but possibly 12 after firings and retirements. That would indicate we could drop to 15 without any real pain. Which would fit in Hat's skills.

Rob, can you plug in reducing the admin staff to 15? Keep 4 Command, 3 each or so of the rest.

To be clear, it would fit within my skill if I bump my skill to a +2.  It's a +1 at the moment.  My Bureaucracy is a +2 currently.  One of those 2 skills needs to be a +3 to avoid the initiative penalty.

With 33 XP, it's 14 to get a +1 to a +2 and 21 to go from a +2 to a +3.  I can't fix the issues until I get 2 more XP.  We're going to have a -3 penalty to initiative in any case.  So, arguably best course is to bump Admin to +2 which would allow me to have up to 15 admins without penalty (needing to drop 4 or deal with whatever the penalty is for exceeding my skill limit) and then bump Admin to +3 when I get the 2 XP which handles both the minimum lance requirement issue as well as allows up to expand back up to 20 Admins if desired or needed.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »

Dropping to 15 is fine.  When I dropped it to 14 and advanced the day, it locked up the unit, even though there were enough support hours.  I don't know why.

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »

To be clear, it would fit within my skill if I bump my skill to a +2.  It's a +1 at the moment.  My Bureaucracy is a +2 currently.  One of those 2 skills needs to be a +3 to avoid the initiative penalty.

With 33 XP, it's 14 to get a +1 to a +2 and 21 to go from a +2 to a +3.  I can't fix the issues until I get 2 more XP.  We're going to have a -3 penalty to initiative in any case.  So, arguably best course is to bump Admin to +2 which would allow me to have up to 15 admins without penalty (needing to drop 4 or deal with whatever the penalty is for exceeding my skill limit) and then bump Admin to +3 when I get the 2 XP which handles both the minimum lance requirement issue as well as allows up to expand back up to 20 Admins if desired or needed.
Do you not have fast learner?

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 06:01:46 PM »

Do you not have fast learner?

Nope.  I have a bunch of other Traits and the 3 points for it would have had to come from somewhere.  I'm happy with the character without it.  As with anything, it's a trade-off.

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »

Fair enough.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »

Well, that makes things easier.  I just realized I had a typo in my Excel sheet for my character.  My Admin's +2 not +1, so I have the 21 XP to go to +3 and make the concerns moot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3